Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Jun 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2705426)   #1
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Courage back in 2011 with Electrical proto

Yves Courage is returning in 2011:

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-4566.html

He'll be coming back under the label Courage Technology with a prototype called Courage MO.11:
- M for MATIS
- O for Zero emissions of CO2
- 11 for 2011

Here are some additional specs from the article:
"-Châssis : développé Ã* partir d'une coque Courage/Oreca LMP2 acquise Ã* Oreca. -Poids : 650 kg (hors groupe moto propulseur) pour un objectif de masse de 1190 Ã* 1250 kg
-Moteurs : 2 Moteurs synchrones Ã* aimant permanent; puissance nominale 150 KW par moteur (+/- 400 ch); Puissance maximale par moteur : 300 KW (+/- 800 ch); Régime moteur 15 000 tours/minute; Récupération d'énergie au freinage; Poids +/-70 kg par moteur avec système de refroidissement liquide
-Batteries : Lithium haute performance; Batteries organisées en packs interchangeables + système de chargement; Autonomie 30 minutes en conditions de course; 5 packs de rotation utilisés en rotation."

Each battery pack has autonomy of 30 minutes and they mention 5 packs. Don't understand yet if the car will have 5 packs, meaning 2.5 hours of autonomy or just 1 pack which is substituted during pit stops, meaning they have to stop every 30 minutes.

The speeds make it equivalent to the LMP2s.

First signs of electrical cars are Le Mans.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2705430)   #2
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should have a trailer with a Judd V10 behind the car to recharge the batteries ...
Old 6 Jun 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2705551)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
I think they should have a trailer with a Judd V10 behind the car to recharge the batteries ...
LOL!
Old 6 Jun 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2705553)   #4
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
That'll just mean that you're basically running a locomotive.

Also, my understanding is that they're rotating 5 battery packs, so 2 hours of charging and then 30 minutes out on the track. P.S. Didn't Paul Drayson say that there would be an electric LMP in the next 15 years?
Old 6 Jun 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2705570)   #5
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Maybe they can get an all Dutch driver lineup (Lammers/Albers/Verstappen) - so they can call it a caravan...
Old 6 Jun 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2705575)   #6
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I don't understand about this huge obsession with electrical cars is for them to charge up, they need energy from some source.
You see some movement on energy consumption moving to more environmental friendly sources but we are still highly dependent on...... oil.

So instead of using gas in the car, directly, let's charge a box with energy coming from a power plant powered by petroleum or some other pollutant.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2705594)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
What I don't understand about this huge obsession with electrical cars is for them to charge up, they need energy from some source.
You see some movement on energy consumption moving to more environmental friendly sources but we are still highly dependent on...... oil.

So instead of using gas in the car, directly, let's charge a box with energy coming from a power plant powered by petroleum or some other pollutant.

Electric motors are, however, a lot more efficient than ICEs... and even if you need an ICE or something similar to get the electric energy in the first place, you still have a lot less loss due to not having a mechanical drive-train.
At least that's what I can remember from school - it's been a few years, so I might be completely wrong.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2705637)   #8
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Assuming 90% efficency of the electric motor and 50% of your (coal, oil, gas) power plant you end up with 45% - so similiar to what you get out of a diesel engine. Considering you will lose some energy while charging the batteries, you will gain nothing as long as you dont use nuclear, solar, wind or wave power from a CO2 point.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2705645)   #9
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I applaud it and wish Courage luck. It's one of the great things about Le Mans - prototypes not just by name, and variety.

Don't forget that energy is lost during refining and transporting the fuel too. It's far from as clear cut as 90% timesed by 50%.

But the thing I like most is that we have to experiment with these things before we know whether they work. So let's go forth and experiment and learn!
Old 6 Jun 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2705660)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Assuming 90% efficency of the electric motor and 50% of your (coal, oil, gas) power plant you end up with 45% - so similiar to what you get out of a diesel engine. Considering you will lose some energy while charging the batteries, you will gain nothing as long as you dont use nuclear, solar, wind or wave power from a CO2 point.
Also in the equation of any powerplant generated electricity is transmission loss to the end user, (reportedly) sometimes exceeding 50% depending on distance.

L.P.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2705680)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post

That maybe the case now but the ultimate goal is to generate electricity by renewable means, there's also the potential to charge batteries from braking and such.

Short-term batteries are useful in a hybrid capacity for road cars, i.e stop, start city driving, in endurance racing they'd be useful under safety car conditions.

That's a potential race winning advantage in the short-term long before you consider fully electric cars.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2705711)   #12
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Same would be try for using biogas in a normal engine - e.g. what you brought to the toilet one day fires your car next day. That way you would keep the wonderfull noise of combustion engines
Old 6 Jun 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2705768)   #13
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Same would be try for using biogas in a normal engine - e.g. what you brought to the toilet one day fires your car next day. That way you would keep the wonderfull noise of combustion engines
the BMW plant in South Carolina is fueled totaly or largely by mehane off a near-by landfill (which is a commentary itself on the amount of waste we produce...). I suppose you could build pits for the eco cars near the rows of porta potties---or, how many dairy cows could you fit in a LeMans garage?

I happened to search yesterday the Venturi cars to see what was available as far as information, and they have apparently gone to electrics totally. I wonder if one will be in the alternate parade lap at LeMans this week? With the LeMans history they may tie in with Courage.

Also, Toyota has just tied in with Tesla, so I am imagining there is going to be a lot of competition for the 56th garage in coming years.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 06:07 (Ref:2705859)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh well , at least the women should feel at home with this one ..... remind them of the hairdressers !!!
Old 7 Jun 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2705972)   #15
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
electric motors give peak torque from nearly 0 rpm. apart from that, you may not need a conventional gearbox, and also, apart from cooling batteries (needed for lithium ones that tend to overheat), you don´t need radiator openings that disturb the aero package, so potentially there are many advantages. 30 min pit window is too short, but they are not aiming for victory, aren´t they?
Le mans has always been about innovation (jagur D´s disc brakes, BRM turbine car, Panoz´s hybrid, direct gasoline injection...) I really applaud Courage´s try!
Old 7 Feb 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2827377)   #16
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any predictions for wednesday ???

I say no Courage on entrylist of 2011 24 hours of Le Mans ACO will unveil
Old 7 Feb 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2827378)   #17
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Any predictions for wednesday ???

I say no Courage on entrylist of 2011 24 hours of Le Mans ACO will unveil
Well we haven't heard a single peep out of this project for months... and there's a much more credible and real project for that 56th entry that's sitting in Weissach at the moment.