Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3413415)   #251
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
who cares about Webber, he is so last year, this is about a rookie schooling a 4 time world champ (early days, but we'll still claim it) onya Ricciardo!
Seb had owned Ricciardo in Monaco when RBR deliberately broke his turbo.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3413602)   #252
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post

posted by @sebvettelnews twitter fan page
Looks like @sebvettelnews are taking this season well then.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3413604)   #253
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Looks like @sebvettelnews are taking this season well then.
All sides of this debate have time on their hands and chips on their shoulders. I'm sure the drivers themselves couldn't give a flying **** about any of this.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3413626)   #254
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the difference between a collision and an accident?
Old 1 Jun 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3413751)   #255
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A collision is a crash. An accident is when you start to consider incontinence pants as a feasible solution.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3413775)   #256
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
A collision is a crash. An accident is when you start to consider incontinence pants as a feasible solution.
The most intelligent and insightful post of this thread so far. I salute your wisdom.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3414020)   #257
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Seb had owned Ricciardo in Monaco when RBR deliberately broke his turbo.
Ricciardo likes eating ice-cream though..
Old 7 Jun 2014, 03:15 (Ref:3416426)   #258
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Vettel did test a Ferrari F1 car today after all.

Red Bull Racing officially announce Vettel trading places with Ferrari.

Old 9 Jun 2014, 02:38 (Ref:3417289)   #259
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ricciardo has finished ahead of Vettel in all but one race (yes, I'm including Australia). That's very impressive. I wonder how Vettel feels about this season so far.

This is Vettel's second longest stretch without a victory. Before this stretch, Vettel won 9 straight GPs to end 2013. The longest winless stretch of his career was 9 races in mid-season 2012.

I was interested so I looked a bit deeper into Vettel's results against his teammates. So far in 2014, Ricciardo has finished ahead of Vettel 5 times. Here's what I found for previous years:
2014: 5 (so far)
2013: 1
2012: 7
2011: 3
2010: 7

Last edited by Salamus; 9 Jun 2014 at 02:53.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3417346)   #260
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Ricciardo has finished ahead of Vettel in all but one race (yes, I'm including Australia). That's very impressive. I wonder how Vettel feels about this season so far.

This is Vettel's second longest stretch without a victory. Before this stretch, Vettel won 9 straight GPs to end 2013. The longest winless stretch of his career was 9 races in mid-season 2012.

I was interested so I looked a bit deeper into Vettel's results against his teammates. So far in 2014, Ricciardo has finished ahead of Vettel 5 times. Here's what I found for previous years:
2014: 5 (so far)
2013: 1
2012: 7
2011: 3
2010: 7
Crashing down to earth here, have you factored in car problems?

I think Ricciardo has done a solid job this season, but he qualified 1 second slower than Vettel in a low grip Malaysia. Vettel is not the best in low grip conditions, so, whilst Ricciardo can race really well in the dry, this has to be a concern...

...but he can enjoy more champagne than Vettel right now!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3417414)   #261
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Vettel was rightfully annoyed with his crew because after his 2nd stop he ended up after Ricciardo in what after qualifying and the first part of the race really should have been his victory, only with both Mercedes in trouble, of course.

That said, Ricciardo cannot be blamed for making the most out of the situation and driving courageously to his first F1 win!

Vettel was a good sport towards Ricciardo afterwards, and rightly so. Probably not so much with Rocky I dare to assume.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3417439)   #262
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
Vettel was a good sport towards Ricciardo afterwards, and rightly so. Probably not so much with Rocky I dare to assume.
The next driver to demand a change of engineer!!
Old 9 Jun 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3417447)   #263
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not being able to pass Hulkenberg hurt him far worse than strategy, but maybe if they left him out for a couple of laps more... who knows.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3417495)   #264
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Crashing down to earth here, have you factored in car problems?
I didn't factor in car problems. I just looked at results. I always assume that car problems are split 50/50 between the drivers.

Both drivers have certainly had to work this year for their results.
Old 9 Jun 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3417499)   #265
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You sensed there would only be a few chances for a non-Mercedes driver to win this year, and Dan richly deserved it, for his impressive pace against a four-time champion who had the team wrapped around him, and his constant enthusiasm and smiling, even after his Australian misfortune. Vettel may have been quicker for much of this weekend, but that's an anomaly for 2014. I guess Seb's motivation has been hit by the car's performance, whereas for Ricciardo it's something of an open goal to establish his reputation.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 04:32 (Ref:3417955)   #266
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
Vettel may have been quicker for much of this weekend, but that's an anomaly for 2014. .
It was an interesting weekend between them. I watched all the timing all weekend.

On Friday, Seb was a good .5 ahead all day, first time this year. Ricciardo said they had alot of work to do overnight.

On Saturday, from the first run in FP3, Dan seemed to be back to .2 or so ahead, pretty well every run (soft, super soft.) right through FP3, and again in Q1 and Q2 and the first run in Q3.
The second run in Q3 Seb had a blinder S2, (which he admitted too, saying he used a slightly different approach) and Dan said his was scrappy and thought he left .3 out there. And Seb was only .05 ahead.

90% of the time all year, Dan seems to have .1 to .2, all things being equal (which they never are, and we can't really tell!)
Old 10 Jun 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3418035)   #267
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
I think Vettel was rightfully annoyed with his crew because after his 2nd stop he ended up after Ricciardo in what after qualifying and the first part of the race really should have been his victory, only with both Mercedes in trouble, of course.
According to Horner, Ricciardo's in lap was the difference - Vettel had a slowish out lap and Ricciardo's in lap was blistering.
Old 10 Jun 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3418057)   #268
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
According to Horner, Ricciardo's in lap was the difference - Vettel had a slowish out lap and Ricciardo's in lap was blistering.
Given that Vettel was backed up behind HUlkenberg from lap 16 to lap 33, I think that Horner was just trying to support Ricciardo's victory, and it was a great drive!
Old 11 Jun 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3418389)   #269
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
And you ignored the traffic, and also Vettel as the front-runner coming in later than Ric.
(Similar to Alonso undercutting Kimi all the time in Spain, but Rosberg entering before Hamilton because he is in the front, read whatever you like.)
Furthermore, when Vettel is faster, TR "Be Smart", when Ric is faster, suspiciously because he couldn't even close the gap in Shanghai, TR "Vettel, he is faster than you."
While Vettel suffers from loss of gear in Spain, retired in Australia, retired in Monaco, and a gearbox problem in Shanghai, Ric's car is problem-free. I would say that if they compete on a fair ground, Vettel is much more superior.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3418390)   #270
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
And you ignored the traffic, and also Vettel as the front-runner coming in later than Ric.
(Similar to Alonso undercutting Kimi all the time in Spain, but Rosberg entering before Hamilton because he is in the front, read whatever you like.)
Furthermore, when Vettel is faster, TR "Be Smart", when Ric is faster, suspiciously because he couldn't even close the gap in Shanghai, TR "Vettel, he is faster than you."
While Vettel suffers from loss of gear in Spain, retired in Australia, retired in Monaco, and a gearbox problem in Shanghai, Ric's car is problem-free. I would say that if they compete on a fair ground, Vettel is much more superior.
You sound like a Mark Webber supporter from last year

To finish first, first you must finish. I dare say they get equal equipment. If Vettel is thrashing it to try to keep up with Ricciardo then that's his problem. Or maybe it's just down to luck/chance/whatever that he's had some issues this year. Good on Ricciardo for capitalising.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 06:15 (Ref:3418413)   #271
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Quote:
and also Vettel as the front-runner coming in later than Ric.
err no. Vettel stopped first for the second stops (as he should, having preference).
The first stops they only brought in Ricciardo VERY early to try and get ahead of the Williams.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3418418)   #272
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Quote:
Ric's car is problem-free.

Except for fuel flow sensor issues costing him 18 points in Melbourne, and a wheel falling off costing 10 points in Malaysia and 10 grid at the next race. Not quite "problem free"!
Old 11 Jun 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3418495)   #273
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
You sound like a Mark Webber supporter from last year

To finish first, first you must finish. I dare say they get equal equipment. If Vettel is thrashing it to try to keep up with Ricciardo then that's his problem. Or maybe it's just down to luck/chance/whatever that he's had some issues this year. Good on Ricciardo for capitalising.
Yes, Vettel hasn't been very lucky but Ricciardo certainly surprised a lot of people including me. It should be added that the RB is not only fragile, it also depends very much on qualifying success and the right strategy to win. As could be seen in Canada, there is hardly a way to get past Mercedes engined cars on the straight because the RB cars sacrifice so much straight line speed for superior cornering and are probably down on power anyway. Get stuck behind the Hulk for 15 laps and all the potential advantage in lap times is neutralised for that long. Much like last year when Webber got stuck in traffic while Vettel could capitalise on pole position and clean air. Minus the superior Mercedes, of course.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3418567)   #274
Cookie85
Rookie

Cookie85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree although Vettel has had some bad luck this season and problems with the car, Ricciardo has still been driving very well and even better that a lot of people would have thought. I think Vettel himself would acknowledge that Ricciardo is driving better at the moment.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3418814)   #275
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He actually already has.