Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Mar 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3382805)   #26
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
What year was this from?

It's amazing. I first went in 1990 and you kind of think it is the same, but it has evolved little by little every year.
^ I think that photo is from 1976.

Here is another angle from that same day.

Old 21 Mar 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3382806)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks the same and different from today
Old 21 Mar 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3382812)   #28
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
I have once again dug through the vast reaches of the inter tubes and discovered this AMAZING website that posses several galleries from past Le Mans races dating from 1970 and all the way up to 1979.

http://www.endurance-photos.org/cate...-soixante-dix/

One photo in particular from this photographer's 1970 album reminded me of a few old buildings that used to line the track way back in the day, before they were removed due to circuit updates.

This building shown here littered with British Petroleum advertisement signs is a building that I have always wondered about. What was the function of this building? Timing and Scoring? VIP Boxes? Just some random Frenchman's estate that just so happened to line one of the most famous circuits in the world?

Judging from many of the classic footages that I have seen over the storied history of this particular section of the track, this building remained up until the completion of the current pit complex (1991?) that we see today.

This one from 1972 with the awesome Matra Simca V12 streaming past frame.

Yes it was the old control building. Once, I could inside because one of my friends' father was an official timekeeper. Yes, Pascal it was before the electronic era. They had several chronometers in front of them and each time keeper had several cars to register lap after lap. It's so far now that I don't exactly remember the details.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3382824)   #29
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, Clausager says that the original pits were positioned 'midway between White House and Pontlieu' and I assume that the start/finish straight was in much the same place. Until 1925 anyway......
Thanks for reminding me of Clausager's marvellous book. It was a real factor in getting me hooked on Le Mans in my teenage years and as I'm at my mother's this weekend it's a suitable prompt to see if I can dig it out of the boxroom and restore it to a natural place on bookshelves at home.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3382831)   #30
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The past few weeks I seem to have developed an obsession with the Circuit De La Sarthe historically...not only the history of the winners but the numerous physical changes to the track over the decades. Watching Mike Hawthorne's brilliant onboard commentary from 1956, I noticed a gap in the earth walls just before the track gradually banks left and up the hill to the first Dunlop bridge. I have noted that gap in the back of my mind for a number of years by watching historical Le Mans footage and have always wondered if this space in the road is indeed the disused section of public road (Perhaps only during the 24 hour race at that time?) that once connected the pit straight to the long stretch of road that ran though the town and eventually led to the Pontlieue hairpin. For anyone here who may have extensive historical knowledge of the circuit I want to confirm if this is indeed a possibility. I have some examples to help. The first photo is from Hawthorne's onboard poorly marked in red, second is a news reel from the British Pathe (You can clearly see the void on the far left), and finally a Google Earth image (with some shoddy Microsoft Paint work) of me trying to trace the possible connection between the current course and the public road itself circa 2012.

Here is an aerial view from 1962. Sorry, I don't remember, the year I was born!!!!
http://www.heberger-image.fr/data/im...nes_pilote.jpg

It's a picture I have found on this forum (in french) but you can find a lot of old pictures: http://forums.motorlegend.com/vb/arc...9042-p-4.html;)
Old 22 Mar 2014, 00:31 (Ref:3382853)   #31
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
Here is an aerial view from 1962. Sorry, I don't remember, the year I was born!!!!

It's a picture I have found on this forum (in french) but you can find a lot of old pictures: http://forums.motorlegend.com/vb/arc...042-p-4.html;)
Wow Bat! That is an incredible photo of the pit straight!

I did indeed visit that Motor Legend forum and have found some amazing historical photos of the circuit.

Hey, if you ever run into anything to the likes of the first photo you posted, by all means post it here, I would love that!
Old 22 Mar 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3382922)   #32
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
But do you remember those little screens with green on black info which seemed to be updated at random i think they only lasted 2 years they looked like they should have been attached to an early PC

Definitely!

In pre-RLM days, however, they were the only realistic means of staying in touch with the race over the 24 hours. The once-an-hour English update on the tannoy system was fine, but you couldn't always hear it, thanks to the noise of passing cars.

I recall a pair of them at Arnage Corner right next to the two phone boxes which you entered at your peril. They stank of Gauloises and garlic.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3382927)   #33
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I recall a pair of them at Arnage Corner right next to the two phone boxes which you entered at your peril. They stank of Gauloises and garlic.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that was all they smelt of
Old 22 Mar 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3382930)   #34
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
I recall a pair of them at Arnage Corner right next to the two phone boxes which you entered at your peril. They stank of Gauloises and garlic.
What a precise memory !
Old 22 Mar 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3382966)   #35
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Are you sure that was all they smelt of[/QUOTE]

Yes......but as I recall I tended not to linger for any longer than was necessary and I certainly didn't spend any time there analysing the smells assailing my nostrils.

I do recall phoning home to my wife with difficulty. The nearest of the two boxes, although behind the spectator banking, was probably only 20 metres from the track.

Coins only initially, later phonecards only (40FF from Carrefour), but after that we all had mobiles anyway and the phone boxes soon disappeared.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3383344)   #36
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
So I came across this interesting picture today. This photo actually came from an Autosport Forum thread dating back to 2004!

Apparently the poster stated that he took this photo during the 1988 edition of the 24 Hours. Obviously the grandstand you see down the road lines the latter half of the ford chicane.

An interesting thought regarding this photo.

The pale tarmac on the right hand side of the road makes me wonder if that is the original road that eventually led to the pit straight before they added in the second left-right complex in the ford chicane. Could that extended right hand shoulder indeed be the neglected piece of tarmac that led to the old left-right ford chicane that lasted from 1968-1972? What are your thoughts?

Also, here is a cool photo I found whilst scanning the Motor legend forum.

Behold! Indianapolis corner circa 1929!

Old 23 Mar 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3383440)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting thoughts on the pale Tarmac. I don't know, but it would answer my query from a few posts back.

As for the photo of Indianapolis, I notice there aren't any floodlights.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3383539)   #38
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post

It's a picture I have found on this forum (in french) but you can find a lot of old pictures: http://forums.motorlegend.com/vb/arc...9042-p-4.html;)
Great photo. What I really noticed was the top of the photo and the old White House corner. You really get an idea of how fast cars must have gone through it, the only blip on an otherwise pretty much straight run from Arnage to Dunlop. Not only would they go in to it fast, but they would have been really pushing to keep their speed up for the long straight after it. No wonder it was so notorious and the scene of so many crashes.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 00:19 (Ref:3384862)   #39
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Huh, not sure where else to post this, I stumbled across this documentary video of the Porsche 917.

Starting at the 3:23 mark, the cars of that particular year are gridded up and begin a pace lap. Considering the incorrect cars that are lined on the grid, this is not a proper Le Mans race.

What is this "race", why is it taking place and what is the purpose? The only possible solution I can come up with is that this is a practice race during the Le Mans test week, or in the days leading up to Le Mans 24 proper.

http://youtu.be/grDe7gi5pQI?t=3m23s
Old 27 Mar 2014, 06:48 (Ref:3384911)   #40
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Huh, not sure where else to post this, I stumbled across this documentary video of the Porsche 917.

Starting at the 3:23 mark, the cars of that particular year are gridded up and begin a pace lap. Considering the incorrect cars that are lined on the grid, this is not a proper Le Mans race.

What is this "race", why is it taking place and what is the purpose? The only possible solution I can come up with is that this is a practice race during the Le Mans test week, or in the days leading up to Le Mans 24 proper.

http://youtu.be/grDe7gi5pQI?t=3m23s
Yes, this is the start of the 3 Hours of Le Mans in 1971. They were raced as a practice.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3384954)   #41
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Great footage of the famous 917 Pink Pig, before it had its paint job. It might have looked ungainly, but there was a very good racing car.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3385067)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Loved the old footage, and great to see the pink pig having is decals added, one of most famous cars for a look that no one can ever forget
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3385090)   #43
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
You can read that the "white pig" did the best lap !
Old 26 Apr 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3398553)   #44
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:
^ I think that photo is from 1976.

Here is another angle from that same day.

Confirmed in 1976. The picture was taken from the airship . here is the documentary source http://forums.motorlegend.com/vb/sho...t=18951&page=7

You'll find plenty of old pictures on this french forum. Very interesting. A very big thread.