Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3392411)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I fail to understand what difference Stefano steeping down will make ??
It won't make a jot of difference.

Throughout the modern era Ferrari have always under delivered and under performed with the exception of the Schumacher years - a period in which Ferrari wasn't really an Italian team. Unless something like that happens again, it's hard to see Ferrari ever shake off it's 'nearly man' status.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3392413)   #27
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Remind me of the old Policeman's Ball comedy sketch.

It's at times like this we need a futile gesture, Perkins...
Old 14 Apr 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3392415)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
ill echo those thoughts and somewhat stunned by the seemingly odd choice for a replacement.

so im curious to know why they didnt promote from within more directly (someone working under SD for example). is their a belief that the entire structure needs to be rebuilt? is this another throw away season for ferrari?

i can say i have much sympathy for Alonso but its increasingly looking like he has wasted the best years of his career through several poor career choices.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3392425)   #29
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
They had been calling for his head in Italy already for a couple of years. He had to go. Mattiacci is a marketing guy, and a very good manager. He is being rewarded for the excellent work he did for Ferrari in the North American market. The parallel that someone made to Briatore earlier in the thread seems appropriate. This is not a magic bullet, but in my opinion, it is a step in the right direction. My feeling is that Domenicali was in over his head, and perhaps too nice to run the show in the political pressure cooker that is Ferrari.

The general feeling in Italy (from what I have read and heard) is that di Montezemolo needs to stop his political ambitions and get back to running Ferrari properly or he will soon be out as well.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 15:51 (Ref:3392433)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think Alonso's wasted his career. If anything, people have a higher opinion of him than they may have had had he been winning championships.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3392437)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It won't but falling on one's sword is always the better option than being executed, in this case sacked as it carries no disgrace; it's a Roman thing.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3392440)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't think Alonso's wasted his career. If anything, people have a higher opinion of him than they may have had had he been winning championships.
Not so sure, he really should have been challenging Vettel seriously for the last two championships..... Opinion is one thing, silverware is another......
Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3392455)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
wasted might be too harsh of a word but certainly many missed opportunities.

i guess i question how many competitive years he has left in him and can he wait out another Ferrari rebuilding period because i dont really see him getting a competitive driver elsewhere.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3392474)   #34
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the appointment of Marco Mattiacci sounds quite... interesting, when reading the in-depth analysis at Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113454

Fingers crossed he can turn it around somehow.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3392480)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I think the appointment of Marco Mattiacci sounds quite... interesting, when reading the in-depth analysis at Autosport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113454

Fingers crossed he can turn it around somehow.
Ferrari should have started the fixing process as soon as Luca di Montezemolo left Bahrain early. No point in waiting around to announce heads will roll, though the announcement itself looks proactive from a PR point of view.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3392512)   #36
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find the choice strange unless there is a plan to bring in a techical head to work along side Mattiacci. To me he looks more like a commercial director but how is going to know which enginner is telling him porkies.

I would have thought the ideal person for the job has gone fishing, good knowledge of Maranello, has proven he can sort out a team in a mess even if it will take a couple of years.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3392549)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i actually like the approach of Mercedes (and Mclaren, Williams and RB to some extent) where there is a less traditional structure and multiple high profile heads.

i suppose it lends itself to battling egos but i do feel that the job at the top has become to big for one person.

perhaps hiring a commercial director is the first step in adopting a more contemporary structure (and may be more reasonable when discussing budgets)?
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3392555)   #38
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The failures at Ferrari are technical, not organisational in a direct sense(although the organisation allowed it to happen).
The power train is not as strong as the Mercedes one by a long chalk, but it is not just an engine, but a whole electrical package as well. It's an enormous task even if you have worked on it for two or three years.

The chassis can be fixed to a limited degree but it is much harder if you can't test physically, like Schumacher did a decade ago.
The engine spec is fixed via homologation, which is just stupid in such an experimental era, so really F1 has shot Ferrari (and Sauber and Marussia) in the foot to a degree, but Renault also.
2014 is going to be a political season in more ways than one.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3392556)   #39
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They should have given the job to Nigel Stepney.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3392571)   #40
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
The engine spec is fixed via homologation, which is just stupid in such an experimental era, so really F1 has shot Ferrari (and Sauber and Marussia) in the foot to a degree, but Renault also.
The same rules apply to Mercedes as well, so it is only the fact that it seems to be the case that neither Ferrari nor Renault have made the best use of the available technology in the same amount of time that Mercedes also had, that has put them at a disadvantage.

You would have been correct to say that Ferrari and Renault are the architects of their own misfortune. The same principle applies to McLaren's 2013 car, a fact that they accept. And they don't blame the rule makers for writing a set of rules that didn't suit their designers.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3392588)   #41
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The same rules apply to Mercedes as well, so it is only the fact that it seems to be the case that neither Ferrari nor Renault have made the best use of the available technology in the same amount of time that Mercedes also had, that has put them at a disadvantage.

You would have been correct to say that Ferrari and Renault are the architects of their own misfortune. The same principle applies to McLaren's 2013 car, a fact that they accept. And they don't blame the rule makers for writing a set of rules that didn't suit their designers.
Obviously Mercedes have done a far better job than either of the other two power unit manufacturers and a better job than Ferrari has done with its chassis too.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3392593)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All the best Stefano.

One of the most dignified characters in F1, sorry to see him go.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3392594)   #43
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

As you say Mike, Mercedes have done a superb job with the power unit, and it is simply dominating!

The teams are responsible for drafting the legislation which the FIA rubber stamps, so Ferrari and Renault are indeed the architects of their own misfortune by allowing the specifications of the power units to be frozen so early.

Where to from here?

Last edited by wnut; 15 Apr 2014 at 00:43.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3392602)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
As you say Mike, Mercedes have done a superb job with the power unit, and it is simply dominating!

The teams are responsible for drafting the legislation which the FIA rubber stamps, so Ferrari and Renault are indeed the architects of their own misfortune by allowing the specifications of the power units to be frozen so early.

Where to from here?
From here? The Silver Arrows return.... A few years of domination by silver cars and/or engine builders.

Nothing wrong with Mercedes doing well but having rules that actually prevent teams from making changes to develop equipment can sometimes be self defeating. They are the rules, but rules don't always make sense.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 06:38 (Ref:3392643)   #45
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
From here? The Silver Arrows return.... A few years of domination by silver cars and/or engine builders.

Nothing wrong with Mercedes doing well but having rules that actually prevent teams from making changes to develop equipment can sometimes be self defeating. They are the rules, but rules don't always make sense.
Nico and Lewis disappearing into the distance staging faux races for three years is just what F1 needs!
Old 15 Apr 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3392663)   #46
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In news soon to come.....

Fernando Alonso announces he is leaving Ferrari at the end of 2014.

Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3392668)   #47
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
In news soon to come.....

Fernando Alonso announces he is leaving Ferrari at the end of 2014.

That sounds like a man with a plan to Woking perhaps?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:09 (Ref:3392672)   #48
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Nico and Lewis disappearing into the distance staging faux races for three years is just what F1 needs!
Well you can watch it for the next three years if you like wnut, but when you finally leave the viewing room, don't forget to turn out the lights...
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3392676)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Better to have two of them doing it than just one........
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3392686)   #50
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Better to have two of them doing it than just one........
There's a dirty joke in there somewhere. But I'm not going anywhere near it.

ps: The Alonso story is just me
Won't happen.