Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3392687)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, it's certainly been a dirty joke for a few seasons, eh?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3392702)   #52
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
ps: The Alonso story is just me
Won't happen.
But you'll still claim it if it does, eh?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3392781)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
There's a dirty joke in there somewhere. But I'm not going anywhere near it.

ps: The Alonso story is just me
Won't happen.
You never know.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3392826)   #54
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
The failures at Ferrari are technical, not organisational in a direct sense(although the organisation allowed it to happen).
A never ending succession of technical failures is called an organizational failure
Old 15 Apr 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3392828)   #55
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose it boils down to whether the failures are due to the incompetence of the engineers or the incompetent political meddling of their superiors.

This being Ferrari, I fear one of those is by far the more likely.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3392843)   #56
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I suppose it boils down to whether the failures are due to the incompetence of the engineers or the incompetent political meddling of their superiors.

This being Ferrari, I fear one of those is by far the more likely.
Is this a nasty sleight on Italian Engineering?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3392846)   #57
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Is this a nasty sleight on Italian Engineering?
I think he was more on about Ferrari's notorious political... 'scene'.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3392849)   #58
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Its likely a combination of the two. Letting Costa go was their first mistake. I suspect Brawn will be lured from his fishing adventures. What a shame that schummy is unwell. I would have loved to see him playing the role of Todt in a Brawn/Schumacher partnership.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3392860)   #59
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
As Hawkwood suggests, more a nasty sleight on the Italian propensity for doomed political meddling.

I love Italian engineering, even when it's rubbish.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3392895)   #60
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As Hawkwood suggests, more a nasty sleight on the Italian propensity for doomed political meddling.

I love Italian engineering, even when it's rubbish.
Sorry chaps but what you couldn't tell from reading what I'd typed was that I had my tongue thrust firmly in my cheek whilst doing so...
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3392921)   #61
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
A never ending succession of technical failures is called an organizational failure
i was going to say something similar but you said it better (and more concisely) then i could have.

i used to scoff at Mclaren's organizational approach as being too corporate or design by committee but times are changing and budgets are so huge i dont see how one person can be expected to fulfill that role at the top anymore.

traditional titles like Technical Director looks to be getting phased out (at Merc and Williams anyways) and while the idea of a Team Principal is still there the duties for the TP are done (very visibly) by others (again Merc and Williams are the best examples).

some of the teams are changing (modernizing even) how they structure themselves and Ferrari look to be reacting to this trend late if they are at all even.

whether or not there is any merit to this new corporate type structures is of course still debatable.

Last edited by chillibowl; 15 Apr 2014 at 18:34. Reason: edit to make myself sound less idiotic. thanks BSchneiderFan :)
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:30 (Ref:3392925)   #62
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Principal. Not principle.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3392929)   #63
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Sorry chaps but what you couldn't tell from reading what I'd typed was that I had my tongue thrust firmly in my cheek whilst doing so...
I had my suspicions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i used to scoff at Mclaren's organizational approach ...
Was McLaren's organisational approach really all that, given that as soon as Der Úber Fúhrer started playing with road cars everything began to fall apart?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3392939)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Was McLaren's organisational approach really all that, given that as soon as Der Úber Fúhrer started playing with road cars everything began to fall apart?
RD's exit or the fine? either way though that was the start of the trend and and other teams, including Mclaren are refining it...having RD there with Boullier seems to be offering a better balance.

and so far in this early season Mercedes are showing that all the heads can work together (their handling of LH vs Nico has been quite good and refreshing so far). in the long run we will see if it works or if its fireworks.

i dont want to go off topic but i lean towards Ferrari needing organizational improvements and am hoping that they will look be forward as i do think there is merit in these new approaches.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3393048)   #65
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sad to see Domenicali go. He was always a smiley personable interviewee. For a long time I had thought he might be too nice to manage Ferrari.

Ditto for Martin Whitmarsh.

Ross Brawn seems the obvious shoe-in for the job. Which probably means it won't happen. I get the feeling that Luca di Gorgonzola is not a great fan of the Todt/Brawn/Byrne/Schumacher era. Ferrari's most successful years ever of course, but that's not as important as political manoeuvring, waving arms and long lunches with lots of Lambrusco.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3393159)   #66
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'm sad to see Domenicali go. He was always a smiley personable interviewee. For a long time I had thought he might be too nice to manage Ferrari.

Ditto for Martin Whitmarsh.

Ross Brawn seems the obvious shoe-in for the job. Which probably means it won't happen. I get the feeling that Luca di Gorgonzola is not a great fan of the Todt/Brawn/Byrne/Schumacher era. Ferrari's most successful years ever of course, but that's not as important as political manoeuvring, waving arms and long lunches with lots of Lambrusco.
I too agree that Ross Brawn looks like the ideal candidate, but also agree that he's not likely to get the job.
First of all, I think he falls into the same category as Whitmarsh & Domenicali, he appears to be a nice, honest & straight talking guy. Ferrari will want a mouthpiece to spout the company line whatever happens, not tell the truth.
I also agree that there is a lot of resentment in the fact that during Ferrari's most successful times in recent memory, none of the men judged as responsible were of Latin descent...
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3393304)   #67
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I also agree that there is a lot of resentment in the fact that during Ferrari's most successful times in recent memory, none of the men judged as responsible were of Latin descent...
Todt kept Luca pacified and away from things while Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher went about transforming Ferrari into something it had never been before... and frankly will never be again.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3393338)   #68
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
French is a latin based language.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3393657)   #69
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Can just imagine the Fiat / Ferrari board meeting:

"Stefano, you had a veto power on the drafting of the rules and the biggest budget, and you agreed to an engine freeze???!!!"
Old 17 Apr 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3393874)   #70
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Can just imagine the Fiat / Ferrari board meeting:

"Stefano, you had a veto power on the drafting of the rules and the biggest budget, and you agreed to an engine freeze???!!!"
"That's right Luca. I did exactly what you told me to do."
Old 17 Apr 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3393883)   #71
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fernando Alonso: "In this race, we will not improve by one second, because Stefano wasn't doing the front wing or the rear wing, so we need to wait and see what we can improve."

Old 17 Apr 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3393927)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He knows full well what the word 'scapegoat' means.....
Old 17 Apr 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3393933)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too like Stefano; and, there is something in the "corporate" approach to racing at that level (actually business) that means the nice guys will always fail. Which is why I would hate to see Ross go back.

Ferrari is not the best team in the world, it is "just" a team. Same as McLaren or Williams. I exclude the others because they have no history, but they are teams in the true sense of the word. And none of them deserve better treatment than the others, so essentially all of them are vying for an ever diminishing pot of gold.

Enter "******tics" and Ferrari and you get the sacking of people that we can equate to, in order to show that the team principals are all powerful. And here, I include Ron.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3393990)   #74
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well said Peter !
Old 18 Apr 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3394308)   #75
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I too like Stefano; and, there is something in the "corporate" approach to racing at that level (actually business) that means the nice guys will always fail. Which is why I would hate to see Ross go back.

Ferrari is not the best team in the world, it is "just" a team. Same as McLaren or Williams. I exclude the others because they have no history, but they are teams in the true sense of the word. And none of them deserve better treatment than the others, so essentially all of them are vying for an ever diminishing pot of gold.

Enter "******tics" and Ferrari and you get the sacking of people that we can equate to, in order to show that the team principals are all powerful. And here, I include Ron.
Great post mate. We're in need for quality posts like that lately.