Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3392779)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
WSBK cancels Russian round - straw in the wind for the GP?

Statement from WSBK:

DWO and YMS Promotion have decided to cancel the WSBK Russian Round which was scheduled to be held at Moscow Raceway on September 21st 2014.

The current political situation affects the capabilities of a number of key partner companies essential to run the event.

Parties regret the decision, but are confident that the strong partnership between DWO and YMS Promotion will prevail.

It is a common intention to continue with the organisation of the WSBK Russian Round in 2015 and for the remainder of the contract period up to 2021.

Will this impact on the Russian GP and be cited as an example.

Also reports that sanctions on Russia may impact on Sirotkin's Sauber F1 funding/buy in.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3392819)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i suspect the "reports" on sirotkin's backing comes from the fact that he's backed by smp racing this year - who are funded by one of the gentlemen on the sanctions list. lots of toys being slung around about their wec and elms teams and the potential impact on their participation in the championships at the moment. it'd depend how much involvement they had in securing his sauber position, and how much sauber depend on their contributions (obviously).

here's a link to the smp racing statement on dsc - i kind of think they have a point about non-commercial activities, but on the other hand they are somewhat inextricably linked...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=27367

mod note: if we can keep this within the realms of motorsport rather than politics that would be lovely. thanks

Last edited by bella; 15 Apr 2014 at 13:29.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3392833)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i suspect the "reports" on sirotkin's backing comes from the fact that he's backed by smp racing this year - who are funded by one of the gentlemen on the sanctions list. lots of toys being slung around about their wec and elms teams and the potential impact on their participation in the championships at the moment. it'd depend how much involvement they had in securing his sauber position, and how much sauber depend on their contributions (obviously).

here's a link to the smp racing statement on dsc - i kind of think they have a point about non-commercial activities, but on the other hand they are somewhat inextricably linked...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=27367

mod note: if we can keep this within the realms of motorsport rather than politics that would be lovely. thanks
I appreciate the comment above about keeping this to motosports vs. politics. It is somewhat hard as there is an intersection and this is it. However I will avoid direct comments about the politics and validity of the sanctions...

I do appreciate the info above regarding SMP Racing. I follow WEC and had seen some of the comments about impact of sanctions on SMP Racing. What was missing from the SMP Racing press releases/public comments was exactly how SMP Racing is tied to the sanctions. I had assumed it was that funding somehow came from someone involved in the sanctions and that seems to be the case.

I have no ideas who is on the sanctions list. I assume it is a relatively small list of organizations and powerful individuals. The idea is to make life difficult for those on the list. That would include things such as marketing activities and personal enjoyment. Unfortunately I think the issues SMP Racing is having is exactly the type of thing the sanctions are supposed to cause. It is unfortunate that it is on the "sport" side of things, its hard to separate sport from money in racing.

Richard
Old 15 Apr 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3392844)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are people more able to explain this than me, but boris rotenberg and his brother are on the us sanctions list. they're big chiefs of smp which is a bank, and thus, smp racing. this link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26672800 - has a little about them.

it could get sticky for f1 if putin's "pet projects" that the rotenbergs are involved in include the sochi arrangement. but on the other hand, moscow raceway isn't one of those projects and i can't think who would be involved in the wsbk event as a "partner company"?

edited with more info:

"Arkady Rotenberg and Boris Rotenberg have provided support to Putin’s pet projects by receiving and executing high price contracts for the Sochi Olympic Games and state-controlled Gazprom. They have made billions of dollars in contracts for Gazprom and the Sochi Winter Olympics awarded to them by Putin. Both brothers have amassed enormous amounts of wealth during the years of Putin’s rule in Russia. The Rotenberg brothers received approximately $7 billion in contracts for the Sochi Olympic Games and their personal wealth has increased by $2.5 billion in the last two years alone."

source: http://www.treasury.gov/press-center...s/jl23331.aspx

interestingly, this here from reuters says that mastercard and visa were asked to reinstate payment systems to smp bank because the sanctions were imposed on the shareholders and not the bank : http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0MK0CZ20140323

i suppose that tells you something about the relationship smp racing has to the rotenbergs.

Last edited by bella; 15 Apr 2014 at 15:21. Reason: adding stuff from some rummaging
Old 15 Apr 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3392979)   #5
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Mr Ecclestone will let the race go on, even if half the world would be callling to him to cancel the Russian GP because of the political situation right now.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 03:11 (Ref:3393118)   #6
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i suppose that tells you something about the relationship smp racing has to the rotenbergs.
Since Boris drives one of the Ferrari 458s from time to time, I think the relationship is about as close as one can get.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 06:11 (Ref:3393136)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As the situation and pressure mounts there is going to be a real possibility that the russian race will be pulled or pressure put on teams to pull out Unfortunately you can not ignore the outside world
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3393370)   #8
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
As the situation and pressure mounts there is going to be a real possibility that the russian race will be pulled or pressure put on teams to pull out Unfortunately you can not ignore the outside world
Bernie himself will never pull it while he has a choice, however I agree with this reasoning and would say it's 50:50 at best and depends very much on how political events unfold from here.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3393504)   #9
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The fact that Bernie refused to call off the Bahrain two years ago with some of the most ridiculous excuses ever means that I doubt he'll call off Russia too. Unless it really gets bad.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3393508)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
He might not get much say in the matter, if sanctions get more strict it may be out of his hands
Old 16 Apr 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3393510)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How much worse does it have to get? Su-27s over the track?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3396062)   #12
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bahrain never had sanctions as far as I remember. So this is quite different.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3396178)   #13
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
How much worse does it have to get? Su-27s over the track?

Why not? This could be a nice show. Something new, instead of those boring Qantas planes.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 16:37 (Ref:3399728)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alas, Moscow Raceway will be used by World Series by Renault next June.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3399781)   #15
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
DTM race in moscow could be changed to Zandvoort because of the situation with Russia according to dutch sites Racexpress and F1today.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3435088)   #16
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wind has picked up in the last few hours.

The Russian GP must be cancelled. In the wake of the tragedy of flight MH17, this race cannot go ahead.

R.I.P. 295 innocent souls.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3435110)   #17
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
The wind has picked up in the last few hours.

The Russian GP must be cancelled. In the wake of the tragedy of flight MH17, this race cannot go ahead.

R.I.P. 295 innocent souls.
A huge amount of evidence already points that the airplane was shot by mistake, by pro-Russian rebels, who thought it was a Ukrainian military aircraft and who most likely used a Russian built "Buk" surface to air missiles stolen from Ukrainian air defense. Why exactly should Russia be answering for this?

Anyways, I am not saying that Putin is angel, but how come 99% of posters on the internet forums fail to see the big elephant in the room: who the heck routed a civilian airliner to fly through a war zone? The fingers on your limbs may not be sufficient to count how many military aircraft have been shot down over that region over the past few weeks.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3435113)   #18
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Anyways, I am not saying that Putin is angel, but how come 99% of posters on the internet forums fail to see the big elephant in the room: who the heck routed a civilian airliner to fly through a war zone? The fingers on your limbs may not be sufficient to count how many military aircraft have been shot down over that region over the past few weeks.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 had been operating at 33,000ft. Well above the upper limit of closed airspace. Airspace that was cleared for air travel.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3435122)   #19
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 had been operating at 33,000ft. Well above the upper limit of closed airspace. Airspace that was cleared for air travel.

Then who the heck cleared them for air travel over a war zone? If you're a passenger on an airliner, would you feel comfortable to fly at 33,000 ft over the area where another aircraft was shot down just above 20,000ft days ago? Please. Flying a civilian airliner into that area was inexcusable. Pretty damning news for the Russian GP though.

Yes, I can see it canceled now due to the PR disaster. And there is also a possibility for the Russian complicity in the incident. It's not like operating a modern SAM is as easy as firing AK rifle or RPG-7. There could be Russian advisers/infiltrators involved. I guess canceling the GP could be justified..

Last edited by JacobP; 18 Jul 2014 at 12:26.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3435127)   #20
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Then who the heck cleared them for air travel over a war zone? If you're a passenger on an airliner, would you feel comfortable to fly at 33,000 ft over the area where another aircraft was shot down just above 20,000ft days ago? Please. Flying a civilian airliner into that area was inexcusable. Pretty damning news for the Russian GP though.
Commercial flights have been flying over Ukraine regularly so far, until now only Crimea region has been adviced to be avoided (not even forbidden) by Eurocontrol.

Anyway, that even would/will be a disaster if let happen. But since the FIA ignored Bahrain chaos and chose to take their dirty public relations money instead, the same will probably happen here.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 12:50 (Ref:3435130)   #21
JacobP
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Commercial flights have been flying over Ukraine regularly so far, until now only Crimea region has been adviced to be avoided (not even forbidden) by Eurocontrol.
Ukraine is a big place, like Texas or something. The real question is, how many airliners were flying over the war zone in east Ukraine, and who exactly authorized it. If the air traffic controllers in Kiev or Russia were involved in this, they'll be in deep trouble.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3435226)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The real question is, how many airliners were flying over the war zone in east Ukraine, and who exactly authorized it.
Approximately 100 commercial flights every day. Authorised by Ukraine air traffic control and supported by the European commercial aviation authority.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3435230)   #23
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By the way, there's a thread here discussing MH17.

Please let's keep this to the potential impact on the Russian F1 GP.

Ta.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3435288)   #24
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie's argument to keeping the GP would probably go along the lines of "Russia isn't involved in Ukraine, it's Ukranian separatists".

Just in case someone jumps on me about this, I think that's absolute bull, but Bernie won't want to upset his pal Putin.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3435329)   #25
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh this is the thread. Yeah I think they should cancel the Russian GP. Mercedes Sponsor Petronas will not want to be a part of it.