Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Oct 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1733406)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rollcentre return to LMP1 in 2007!

(Source - Daily Sportscar)

The thread title says it all really. The Radical's are both up for sale (yes the second one does exist, in kit form, and is in the process of being assembled at the moment), and Rollcentre will be racing in LMP1 in 2007.

(Martin Short) "Rollcentre has been presented with an exciting proposition for 2007, and we will be moving back into the LMP1 class.........we must race where our sponsors want to be, and that’s with LMP1....."

No details as to what Rollcentre will be running in 2007, nor whether it will be one car or two.

Exciting news, I'm delighted to see Rollcentre return to LMP1........
Old 9 Oct 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1733427)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't help but wonder about the prospect when considering Fieldgate's comments regarding the viability of a Radical P1 car at this stage. But I'm excited for Rollcentre none the less.
Old 9 Oct 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1733451)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I can't help but wonder about the prospect when considering Fieldgate's comments regarding the viability of a Radical P1 car at this stage. But I'm excited for Rollcentre none the less.
Who says it's a Radical?

So many options, I wouldn't rule out a link up with someone like Zytek, or maybe Lola, with Rollcentre assuming a similar role to Dyson, on this side of the pond.

Who knows!

One further point, it does appear as though the current P1 class is retaining the interest of privateers, depsite potential works entries.

Not sure if this is down to the fact customer chassis are now far more capable of challenging for victories, compared to the Lola/Riley/Reynard of the LMP900 days, or whether teams are looking forward to a fantastic looking 'Privateer Cup' battle amongst themselves (ala the 962/Spice battles in Group C), while hoping to snatch the odd win against Audi and Peugeot.

Personally speaking, if I was running a team, I'd feel there was far more credit battling head to head with factory teams, as Pescarolo and Dyson do, claiming the odd win, than dominating against lesser opposition.

But its not my money
Old 9 Oct 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1733478)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Who says it's a Radical?
True, lots of possibilities. I just took a guess.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1733521)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wow, that seems out of the blue, but good!

No knock on Radical, but they seem to not be able to deliver P2 chassis very quickly (to be fair to them, they entered new-to-them territory with carbon chassis and the like), so I can't imagine they could gear up to produce a P1 at this point for 2007. That said, I feel like I will eat those words soon.

robert
Old 10 Oct 2006, 00:55 (Ref:1733523)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im thinking that Nissan might be involved , with a customer chassis .
Old 10 Oct 2006, 01:03 (Ref:1733530)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Oh, after the Nissan attempts in the Dallara! Maybe! What chassis, Courage?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 05:20 (Ref:1733620)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Personally speaking, if I was running a team, I'd feel there was far more credit battling head to head with factory teams, as Pescarolo and Dyson do, claiming the odd win, than dominating against lesser opposition.
I'd agree, but I suspect the arrival of the RS Spyder in the LMS/Le Mans may have played a part in this decision. LMP2 suddenly becomes a whole lot tougher in 2007, doesn't it!
Old 10 Oct 2006, 07:49 (Ref:1733682)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mike has posted Martin's full press release on Mulsannes Corner.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1733793)   #10
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I really hope the Rollcentre Radicals find good owners. With a bit more luck and the last reliability problems solved, the cars are serious LMP2 contenders and extremely good value.

The LMP1 customer chassis choice is limited: Lola B06/10, Courage LC70, Creation/KWL CA07, Zytek 07S and Pescarolo C60/65 conversion. What about the engine? Again Nissan V6 turbo, perhaps Cosworth V8 turbo, maybe Ricardo-Judd V10 diesel or just the new Judd 5.5 V10.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1733824)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
If all goes well, Rollcentre will make an annoucement on thursday and it promises to be a big surprise
Quote:
Nous avons contacté Martin Short ce matin, et avec sa gentillesse et sa réactivité coutumières, Martin nous a précisé : « J’espère faire une annonce jeudi. Si les choses se passent comme prévu, ce sera une grosse surprise. Je l’espère. » Nous avons également demandé Ã* Martin combien de voitures il ferait courir. Sa réponse a été nette : « Une LMP1. »
source: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=2717
Old 10 Oct 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1733840)   #12
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lola LMP1 is almost the same car as the LMP2, why not doing the same with the radical? Hope its not a Lavaggi
Old 10 Oct 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1733849)   #13
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
Hope its not a Lavaggi
Sleep easy, it won't be.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1733887)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Im thinking that Nissan might be involved , with a customer chassis .
I still think there was more to that than meets eye, but only time will tell.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1733899)   #15
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
The Lola LMP1 is almost the same car as the LMP2, why not doing the same with the radical?
Fieldgate already commented on this suggestion.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Is a Rollcentre/Deutsche Bank return to LMP1 (with Radical) under consideration?
Was considered, but I think it's not unfair to say that Tim, Phil and the factory need a close-season to really bed-down a very good LMP2 car before strteching themselves too thinly by moving up a weight.
source: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...81#post1722981
Old 10 Oct 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1733979)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have heard a rummour, and it if ture then it is a big suprise and will certainly move Rollcentre forward.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1734004)   #17
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Will it be a new chassis or an existing customer one? Is the big surprise the engine manufacturer?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1734005)   #18
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Given that Shorty claimed he hoped it would be a big surprise and would say more on Thursday it's tempting to wait and see, but hell, speculation never hurt anyone...

To take the given right up front, it's not a Lavaggi.

The Lola and Courage options don't look all that surprising to me. While both are good packages and would be a good fit, I think more people would nod rather than gasp if he announced this as a solution.

I'd see a Creation/KWM as still a possibility, but a touch less likely. The same goes for a Zytek and, less so, a Dome. Inherently, these cars don't exist at the moment and given Rollcentre's experience developing the Radical this year I'd see them go for a constructor that has the proven ability to deliver enough cars.

So. Where does that leave us? Pescarolo would qualify as being genuinely surprising, given some of the "history" such as Bourdais' little incident in 2004. That said, they're undeniably the class of the LMS field at the moment, the car's quick and borderline bulletproof, and Henri's interested in selling chassis. Plumping for this would make me sit up and notice - the archetypal English team running one of France's finest.

And finally, the most leftfield of all - what about an R10?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1734031)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Will it be a new chassis or an existing customer one? Is the big surprise the engine manufacturer?
This has come via someone who was in Jarama, they where told that they mayb some form of factory support and that the results were therefore said to be very important. Read into that what you want, but I am thinking engine
Old 10 Oct 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1734087)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The DSC news story on Pescarolo the other day they seemed to be using the phrase "customer chassis" as a plural, and as other have said something like a KWM chassis with a Judd engine wouldn't be 'surprising'.

I'll wager my £1 upon a Pesca chassis with a works backed Nissan Engine.

Finally, thankfully someone else posted the Endurance Info link first, my schoolboy French has translated Jeudi as 'Wednesday'. No wonder I was bottom of the class.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1734089)   #21
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
I'll wager my £1 upon a Pesca chassis with a works backed Nissan Engine.
I will bet €1 on it as well
Old 10 Oct 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1734117)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A surprising move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
I really hope the Rollcentre Radicals find good owners. With a bit more luck and the last reliability problems solved, the cars are serious LMP2 contenders and extremely good value.

The LMP1 customer chassis choice is limited: Lola B06/10, Courage LC70, Creation/KWL CA07, Zytek 07S and Pescarolo C60/65 conversion. What about the engine? Again Nissan V6 turbo, perhaps Cosworth V8 turbo, maybe Ricardo-Judd V10 diesel or just the new Judd 5.5 V10.
+ Dome, Epsilon and Lavaggi.
Old 10 Oct 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1734131)   #23
Aerodynamic
Rookie

Aerodynamic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd put my money on a Pesca chassis with a factory Nissan engine.....

Although given recent performances across the pond the Creation and Zytek are very tasty choices - perhaps the surprise is the Zytek Electro Hybrid route.....
Old 10 Oct 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1734141)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Which manufacturer has planned a press conference on the Paris Auto Show next Thursday?
Old 10 Oct 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1734147)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm pretty sure the the electric hybrid Zytek will have Johnny Herbert at the wheel and will be a Zytek entry.

Courage-Nissan perhaps?