Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 11 Jan 2007, 02:25 (Ref:1811968)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1 Team Australia Sydney Appearances

AJ and the A1 Team Aus team along with the car will be making public appearances across Sydney in the upcoming week/s

Here are the details

http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=30237

For all the Sydney siders get along
Old 25 Jan 2007, 01:29 (Ref:1825326)   #2
gkmarshall
Racer

gkmarshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw all the the cars getting unloaded from a cargo plane @ sydney airport yesterday, then they were loaded onto trucks headed for EC i would presume.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 04:33 (Ref:1825367)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1 Team Australia have a live track cross on Channel 9's Today morning show on Friday.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 12:09 (Ref:1827732)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

In a Sydney newspaper it was reported that certain journos asked Alan Jones why he didnt put a local touring car driver in the seat for the Australian round.

Apparently after a few minutes of uncontrollable laughter AJ responded " None of them could touch Karl (Reindler)."
Old 29 Jan 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1828426)   #5
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is James Courtney not now a local touring car driver? I don't think he could touch Karl...becuase he would be a lap ahead!
Old 29 Jan 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1828435)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

James Courtney's name was mentioned but the point AJ made was that he hasnt driven an open wheel car in many years, why put him a car he has no knowledge of for one weekend.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 04:31 (Ref:1829170)   #7
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
James Courtney's name was mentioned but the point AJ made was that he hasnt driven an open wheel car in many years, why put him a car he has no knowledge of for one weekend.
In simple what they need to do is get some stabiity behind one driver so that they can ground themselves in the car. Australia's problem is that we have a lack of drivers who are, 1. currently turning fast laps in a GP2 equivilent machine, 2. are available for A1GP on a consistent basis. So as I see it no quick fixes invest in one of the younger guns and give them the seat time. Karl seems to be the choice at the moment, we could debate others, but lets stick it out with Karl for now.

Sticking Craig Lowdenes, Rick Kelly, Mark Skaife or any other high profile tin top driver in one of these would be great on Wed and Thursday but likely to be a turn off by Sunday. People like winners. All these guys and others are proven single seat winners, but they are way out of practice in these types of machines, and a touring car ain't a racing car, it is a car you race (i am not anti-tourers). It takes more than 20 laps to nail it, some what of a problem in a control category like A1GP.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1829191)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Apparently after a few minutes of uncontrollable laughter AJ responded " None of them could touch Karl (Reindler)."

errr....... it may have escaped Mr Jones attention the Aussie car was almost stone cold motherless last at Taupo.....infact another couple of laps and Hulkenberg would have lapped him.Surerly theres someone else over there who can pedal an open wheeler faster?.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 07:59 (Ref:1829209)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

In fairness I think that alot more to do with the car than Karls ability. I cant see a touring car driver outdoing him.

That said, Barton Mawer would be the best option for the team.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 08:01 (Ref:1829933)   #10
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Ireland it seems to be more than a driver problem.

To Reindler's defense he did keep his nose out of trouble in Beijing to get a podium, however I don't know anything else about him so shouldn't really make any more comment.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1830125)   #11
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A snazzy new look to the car for the home race here. I quite like it. Probably better pics than this one out there but too lazy to try and hunt one down.

It's a bit Brazilian-looking (in his picture anyway), but the Foster's logo's a giveaway.

Quote:
The graphics were provided by Evolution Signs, whilst ABS Smash Repairs completed the paintwork for the car’s new style.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1830210)   #12
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And while I'm at it, if anyone has Friday's session times handy, I'd appreciate it.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1830241)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
To Reindler's defense he did keep his nose out of trouble in Beijing to get a podium, however I don't know anything else about him so shouldn't really make any more comment.
You can find Karl Reindler's career details here. Winning the the Austrian F3 Championship in 'o4 was good, but he has found it much harder since he moved up to British F3. 16th after a part season in '05 and 14th after a full season last year.

Someone pretty senior in the team told me that Barton Mawer was quickest of the rookies in the pre-season Silverstone test, so I don't know why he hasn't been given a shot. Maybe his face doesn't fit.

In the longer term, look out for John Martin. Australian FF Chammpion last year and a race winner in UK FF, too. It's rumoured that he will be receiving help from CAMS to race in British F3 this year, which could be interesting. There may be an announcement at Eastern Creek.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 01:23 (Ref:1830730)   #14
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
I did find a Friday schedule here if anyone else was interested.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 02:12 (Ref:1830751)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

Thanks for that heading down tomorrow so should be good.

Talking about the new paint job, I prefer the old one by alot.
Old 1 Feb 2007, 02:51 (Ref:1830760)   #16
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Oh, you're welcome DRT.

Let us know what you think of the new livery in person then would you? 'Cause it sure ain't gonna look any different on live timing.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 02:14 (Ref:1831555)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

They had the new paint scheme as the primary car and the old paint scheme on the T car. Side by side the T car is the winner.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 02:31 (Ref:1831561)   #18
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
And the primary car DRT? Is it, pardon the expression, as Brazilian-looking in person?

Next practise session in another half-hour or so I think. Live timing here.
Old 2 Feb 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1832124)   #19
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is James Courtney not now a local touring car driver? I don't think he could touch Karl...becuase he would be a lap ahead!
Karl really has not fired..Martin would have been a better bet.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1833198)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

Definately one for the future, say maybe the 2007/2008 season but I cant help but wonder why Mawer hasnt been given a run yet.