Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2024608)   #1
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren Autosport BRDC Award 2007

I was interested to read in today's Autosport that FPA champion Tim Bridgman is eligible for this award after all when last week the magazine suggested that he wasn't because of his stint in the top class of British F3 back in 2005. Apparently, the rule relating to racing in a class above F3 National class only relates to the year of the competition.

Has that always been the case, or has the rule been tweaked for this year? Is there a full set of rules anywhere?

Who is likely to be in the final five (plus one from the FPA shootout) this year? I would have thought that the likes of Bridgman, Stefan Wilson, Duncan Tappy, Dean Smith and Callum Macleod would be among the favourites from the fashionable categories - but I hope the judges look beyond those.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:41 (Ref:2024701)   #2
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its got to be the names you mention there Ian to go forward plus the winner of that very strange FPA competition - there have been drivers showing promise in more club based championships but the competition isn't nearly as strong as the guys who have been racing in the more professional categories.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:55 (Ref:2024710)   #3
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am totally against that FPA competition, its based on just one weekend of racing, not a 'year'. Some driver could easily get a bit of luck in those races and win the competition when overall they haven't shown the consistency and speed that a full championship challenge requires. If I was choosing the final 6 I wouldn't include Bridgman, i'd have in no particular order: Stefan Wilson, Callum Macleod, Duncan Tappy, Dean Smith, Will Bratt, Adam Christodolou. I know 4 of those of from Formula Renault, but the competition is as high as ever. Although i'm sure Henry Arundel may get a shot from FBMW. Can guys from FR BARC be nominees? Dean Stoneman looks good and is only 17.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 08:25 (Ref:2024935)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course guys from FR BARC, FF1600, Jedi, Vee etc can be nominees - just that much harder for them to get into the final six.

Personally I don't think it is right that Bridgman should get in and would look to give 'his' slot to someone else. Aside from Tappy and Smith I don't think anyone's record in FR merits it, and the qualifying drivers in FBMW haven't been that impressive.

I'd be interested to see who has entered the FPA shootout, but surely those drivers with a season of FPA behind them must be at an advantage.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 08:27 (Ref:2024936)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
There have been drivers showing promise in more club based championships but the competition isn't nearly as strong as the guys who have been racing in the more professional categories.
In some categories it is probably stronger than you think.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 08:42 (Ref:2024949)   #6
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Jonathan McGall was one of the final 6 in 1991. That was the year after he'd raced in British F3 (Class A), but he'd then stepped down in 91 to do Vauxhall Lotus Euroseries. If I'm right, that would mean the Bridgman ruling is the same as it always has been.

How about drivers who have been racing outside the UK? Jon Lancaster anyone?
Old 28 Sep 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2024960)   #7
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Its very subjective though in terms of the level of talent in club championships - I'm sure there is talent in those championships but recent past has shown that when graduating to a more professional category very few club racers have been able to run right at the front ahead of guys such as the ones being mentioned. We've had guys such as Tom Bradshaw running towards the front but they've not yet shown themselves to be at a higher level than guys such as Stefan Wilson who would surely be a candidate to get in the final 6.

I think Lloyd and Stoneman have an outside chance of getting in the six and would agree that FBMW in terms of British talent this year seemed quite thin on the ground. Would also agree with the comments about the FPA shootout - it should be an exciting weekends racing and a good money draw but in terms of the Award itself it could turn out to be a waste of a slot and realistically I can't see whoever wins it standing much of a chance of winning the award.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 08:57 (Ref:2024962)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Interesting LB. I'd quite like to see a list of the finalists down the years if anyone has such a thing. I've managed to go back to about 2002 so far...

I'd say Lancaster stands a good chance.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 09:06 (Ref:2024965)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

You're right to some extent Gaz, but then FFord last year was won by a guy (Freke) who had done Combe FF1600 the year before with one of the other leading drivers (Dempsey) also having done FF1600. Interestingly, both have since hit budget problems which brings us onto the old chestnut. I'm quite sure that there are drivers in club racing at least the equal of those in the 'pro' series that have been mentioned, but find it really difficult to move on or make a mark when they do quite simply because they don't come from a background that permits it.

The other thing about the FPA shootout is that it costs a good few grand to do, so more than ever you have to buy a slot among the finalists.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 10:13 (Ref:2024994)   #10
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Aside from Tappy and Smith I don't think anyone's record in FR merits it
Why though? Susie Stoddart was a nominee in 04/05 despite not winning in FR, last year Jeremy Metcalfe was a nominee yet didn't win and finished 5th in the championship. This year Will Bratt has had more wins than Smith, and I think it's fair to say that the Christo cousins look very rapid, with Adam on course for graduate cup honours. To be honest if they aren't nominated then it would be very inconsistent with what they have done in the past few years. But there you go!
Old 28 Sep 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2025006)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

You've got to consider what is going on in other classes though, not just the strength or otherwise within one. Wilson has impressed me in FPA this year, and I'd be surprised if Bridgman didn't make it so I can't see that you'd have that number from Renault.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2025396)   #12
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Lancaster has a good chance at all - he's not done much racing at all. Martin Plowman would be a better bet.

I don't think there is anyone in FBMW who deserves to reach the final six this year. Tappy is probably the only one in F Renault, although arguably the Christodoulous may be.

Bridgman simply shouldn't be eligible. So what if he hasn't done F3 this year? Lewis Hamilton hasn't done F3 this year, and I don't think he should be nominated!

Stefan Wilson and Matt Hamilton look like the best in FPA.

Looking further afield, Jonny Baker and Steven McAleer are the only (eligible)Brits doing anything worthwhile in America - and Baker has been average in a weak Mazda field.

...I'm actually struggling to find six names here.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:08 (Ref:2025432)   #13
jbzspace
Rookie

jbzspace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And don't forget Bridgman did a season of US Formula Atlantics in 2006, and without distinction I might add. I thought this was for fresh young British talent.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2025435)   #14
jbzspace
Rookie

jbzspace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbzspace
And don't forget Bridgman did a season of US Formula Atlantics in 2006, and without distinction I might add. I thought this was for fresh young British talent.
Further more I was under the impression that the FPA Autumn Trophy was a sort of introduction to FPA for younger drivers, not FPA veterans. The Snetterton shootout dilutes the historic intent of the Trophy.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 10:33 (Ref:2025613)   #15
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Its been quite a lean year this year were apart from Duncan Tappy and Callum McLeod no British driver has absolutely shone in any of the junior categories and both the guys above still have question marks about their ultimate ability due to difficult previous years.

Jon Lancaster impressed me at the World Series meeting with a great drive and would certainly in my view warrent a place ahead of Martin Plowman who for me has disappointed a little this year in comparison to others such as Lancaster.

I agree with the remarks about Bridgman, he's done a good job this year but he has experience far in excess of any of the other guys thanks to his stints in Atlantics and F3. Although from Tim's point of view winning the award could be vital I don't think including him is fair to equal competition.

I'm against the FPA shoot out as well - it'll be a good spectacle but the place in the line up should really be reserved for someone who has shown talent across a season, not just someone who has proven themselves over one race weekend at one circuit.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2025698)   #16
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
I don't think Lancaster has a good chance at all - he's not done much racing at all. Martin Plowman would be a better bet.
Jon Lancaster is doing the full Eurocup and is already a race winner...Plowman hasn't got a point despite it being his second season. And all he has done is gone backwards in Italian Formula Renault, despite having Toyota's backing. Not sure how you worked that one out.
Old 7 Oct 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2034307)   #17
late-breaker
Rookie

late-breaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a pitty we cant get some sort of poll on this subject, would be interesting to see the verdict.

Any idea when the 5 finalists will be announced.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 18:26 (Ref:2037076)   #18
late-breaker
Rookie

late-breaker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
** McLaren Autosport BRDC Award 2007 **

Just wanting to know when we'll all know the 2007 nominee's? Anyobody have any ideas?
Old 16 Oct 2007, 13:35 (Ref:2041743)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The names of 5 of the 6 nominees have now been announced. Story here.

Duncan Tappy, Dean Smith, Callum MacLeod, Henry Arundel and Stefan Wilson.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2042030)   #20
Ian Sowman
Veteran

I can make a case for four of them, the exception being Arundel. I don't think he's done enough to make it, but those that matter obviously disagree. A little bit uninspired.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:04 (Ref:2042147)   #21
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
I'd agree Ian - the only thing I can remember Arundel doing this season is ending up on his roll hoop at Knockhill!

I'm surprised Hywel Lloyd didn't get in there and I have to say going back to an earlier conversation we had about this some of the guys in 1600 this year do look like they could have bright futures in the sport. I went to watch the NW1600 final rounds at Oulton the other week and hadn't realised just how succesful James Cole had been this year - if he could translate that into results in a more national category next year then I could really see him or Wayne Boyd getting a nomination in 2008.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:34 (Ref:2042166)   #22
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Linton will be gutted after all the PR James Croft has been doing!!!

Club racers are always going to find it hard to get in. I do agree with all apart from Arundel but I guess they needed to pick someone from FBMW.....

Nick Tandy has also been a little down on my expectations this year after a mega festival.

To be fair it has been a poor year in some respects for british talent.

It's got to be a good fight between Tappy and Callum with Tappy winning...
Old 16 Oct 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2042167)   #23
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be an interesting thing to do an end of year Awards for Club Motorsport only????

Then you would have a fight between the Hywel Lloyd's, Martin Galpins, James Coles and Chrissy Palmers of the Club world for a more low key final!!

Last edited by Redracer77; 16 Oct 2007 at 20:38.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:26 (Ref:2042289)   #24
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
Might be an interesting thing to do an end of year Awards for Club Motorsport only????
Yeah Chris, but where would this poll be?
You've more chance of plaiting snot [or is it fog] than getting Haymarket publications to realise there is National [Club] racing below the BTCC and F3 GT packages.
But if you did get a poll up and running, you'd just have the better funded clubbie drivers vaunted on here and voted for. I bit like the real thing I suppose.
Don't forget that most of the 'self professed' experts on here [and motorsport journos] totally confuse talent and budget. They don't appear to realise that they boil down to the same thing.
Sad, but true, so just let them get on with their 'important awards' and look forward to the FFF, WHT, AMT and another season of proper grass roots racing in 2008.

Sorry, I appear to have overdosed on the grumpy pills today.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 09:44 (Ref:2045240)   #25
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Yeah Chris, but where would this poll be?
You've more chance of plaiting snot [or is it fog] than getting Haymarket publications to realise there is National [Club] racing below the BTCC and F3 GT packages.
But if you did get a poll up and running, you'd just have the better funded clubbie drivers vaunted on here and voted for. I bit like the real thing I suppose.
Don't forget that most of the 'self professed' experts on here [and motorsport journos] totally confuse talent and budget. They don't appear to realise that they boil down to the same thing.
Sad, but true, so just let them get on with their 'important awards' and look forward to the FFF, WHT, AMT and another season of proper grass roots racing in 2008.

Sorry, I appear to have overdosed on the grumpy pills today.
You also appear to have forgotten that this award is to reward the racing driver who, during that season, has demonstrated the necessary qualities to become a professional racing driver.

Many club racers, even the very good ones, have no intention of becoming professional racing drivers, they are just having a bit of fun at the weekend.

Those young drivers who do have aspirations of F1 or top level sports cars realise that finding the budget to compete in a recognised feeder championship, dealing with the inevitable media interest in that championship, and sacrificing everything for what is still a remote chance of reaching the top, is part of the process of racing.

The reason given for choosing the sixth finalist based on a one-race shootout is that it gives talented drivers who haven't had the budget to race in a top series a chance of winning.

Well that's b*******. If they can't find £150,000 to race for a top team in Formula Renault, then how on earth are they going to find £500,000 for a season of F3, or £350,000 for a season of World Series by Renault, even with the £50,000 that they will get for winning.