Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2932678)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ALMS Round 5: Mid-Ohio

The Mid-Ohio race is only 8 days away, so I thought I would start up a race thread. On track activities kick off on Thursday with promoters test sessions. Qualifying is at 2:25pm local track time on Friday August 5th, and the race kicks off at 3:30pm Saturday. The entry list looks similar to Mosport, except there are a few additional challenge cars. Some driver changes as well, Jon and Clint are listed in a LMPC car.

Schedule

Entry List

Timing & Scoring

Live Video ALMS

Live Video ESPN3

Radio Le Mans

World Times
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2932689)   #2
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Some driver changes as well, Jon and Clint are listed in a LMPC car.
That has been the case with the two previous race entry lists, but obviously Clint has not been behind the wheel. Some say that Clint and Jon can't drive together in LMPC because they are both considered "pro" drivers. I don't know if that is true or not. Anyway, we'll see what happens with the Intersport driver line-up.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 01:55 (Ref:2934263)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not such of a power track as Mosport so it could be Dyson's turn to triumph again.

Interesting to see whether the adjustments change the pecking order in GT quali, I mean the last time Risi had this big of a gap between archieved pole positions was ages ago (Lime Rock 2009 - Long Beach '10)... they need it badly. Again, I don't really expect vettes to shine in quali but in race trim Mid-Ohio has always been a good hunting ground for us. Maybe not as ideal place as Road America but there are some good points to be gathered, and preferably in larger amounts than Bimmers. Would be nice to close the gap in points

I noticed the Abruzzi was off from the entry list again. It is a bit of a homologation special from Uncle Fester, but since their pace at Mosport was surprisingly promising I hope they'll be back soon. Sandström doesn't seem to be a bad pedler either, just finished second @ Spa 24.

Not expecting much from Melanie Snow's Ford-apperance but hey, she can't be any worse than mr Robertson. As ever I'll be fiercly rooting for the Pro-effort

Last edited by Deleted; 1 Aug 2011 at 02:02.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2934266)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh and Bleekemolen is back is he? Great, Faulkner's a trusty co-driver but if there's one person who can really master cup porsches it's Jeroen. Black Swan should now be back on their usual form, a la dominating the class
Old 1 Aug 2011, 02:39 (Ref:2934271)   #5
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About Mid Ohio and Cytosport/Dyson, remember that there are a couple of straights, including the long one from turn 2 to 4. With Dyson and their legendary pitstops, as well as Luhr joining Graf which I think gives them a better lineup than Dyson (Steven Kane has actually shown more pace than Chris), I think this is Muscle Milks race to lose. Also, Dyson needs to be careful, 1 DNF and an almost locked up championship can slip away.

Also, I wonder if Pickett has retired???? At first he was on the entry list at Lime Rock and Mid Ohio but replaced late on the list by Luhr in both events(Luhr was always going to drive at Mosport).
Old 1 Aug 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2934278)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Agree about the line-ups but not so sure about the circuit itself. Those straights do give a slight edge to Lola-AM, but Dyson takes easily time back on the slower parts which there are plenty. IMSA's restrictor adjustments might also come into play (+1,1mm for Dyson, +0,8mm for Cytosport)

Wondering if Autocon can outqualify the LMPC field this time...
Old 1 Aug 2011, 03:49 (Ref:2934284)   #7
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im picking the Melo Vilander Ferrari to get the win. The BMW's have never been good at Mid Ohio. Last year was a handling disaster for those guys.epic understeer...i think both cars understeered stright off the track in last years race....

well see how they do though.. although im pulling for Jaime Melo!
Old 1 Aug 2011, 06:53 (Ref:2934313)   #8
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mid-Ohio fits the Dyson package pretty well. Dyson did win at Mid-Ohio last year. Of course, Cytosport did not participate in that race as that was the weekend where Pickett had his big crash. I don't know if that lack of data will hurt them, but I think Cytosport should still be pretty strong.

I think Dyson will have to do what they did at Lime Rock. They will have to try to outqualify Cytosport and then jump in front and try to keep the Aston behind them for as long as possible and hope to stay in front through the driver change. I'm a little surprised that Dyson does not have Kane start the race in the #20 car in the hope of him getting in front of the Aston and have him run a bit of legal interference, but we'll see. Ultimately, the key for the #16 team at this point has to be to just finish races.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2934319)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Oh and Bleekemolen is back is he? Great, Faulkner's a trusty co-driver but if there's one person who can really master cup porsches it's Jeroen. Black Swan should now be back on their usual form, a la dominating the class
Didnt Faulkner come 2nd to Bleekemolen in the PC ?

On a par I would say .
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2934574)   #10
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Didnt Faulkner come 2nd to Bleekemolen in the PC ?

On a par I would say .
A long way behind in the points tally though in 2008, in 2009 Faulkner only came 6th.

Anyway NGT and Sean Edwards return at Road America so Jeroen and Black Swan will have there hands full then
Old 1 Aug 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2934581)   #11
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been very impressed with Damien Faulkner's performance in the Black Swan car, he seems to be the fastest guy in the class. Not to discount Jeroen - obviously he is hugely quick. But when a J. Bleekemolen gets out of your Porsche and is replaced by a D. Faulkner, I'm sleeping just as easy.

Chris
Old 1 Aug 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2934604)   #12
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I noticed the Abruzzi was off from the entry list again. It is a bit of a homologation special from Uncle Fester, but since their pace at Mosport was surprisingly promising I hope they'll be back soon. Sandström doesn't seem to be a bad pedler either, just finished second @ Spa 24.
I was expecting the Panoz to be on the rest of the schedule. I mean why make the trip to Canada and not Ohio?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2934634)   #13
Deleted
Veteran

Maybe they were actually expecting to run in the GT class, not as unclassified?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2934636)   #14
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well Mosport is a really easy track and a power track(the panoz has floodgates for restricotors_)..Mid ohio is not about power. its about handling which is something i dont expect thepanoz to have. so maybe they just decided to skip
Old 1 Aug 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2934639)   #15
Deleted
Veteran

Also while it's always nice to get some PR value there's not much point in racing if you're not allowed to get anything out of it - especially since the car seems to have (some) potential. They can do their testing outside public and keep somehow praying for actual homologation
Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2934690)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Mosport an easy track? Praying for homologation? They know the car will run unclassified, and there are no plans for homologating it... maybe just changing the rules though.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2934723)   #17
AGD
Veteran

Maybe they just ran the thing at Mosport to prove to the Internet pundits (well, just one really) that the program wasn't dead! Anyway, it's not like they are competing for anything, they can just cherry pick the events they think it would be nice/meaningful to run at right now. As ugly as the thing is, it would be nice to see the thing run more frequently as it does appear that the car has some potential. Then again, it might make more sense to save money in order to test in the hopes of being able to compete some day.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 03:11 (Ref:2934805)   #18
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Maybe they just ran the thing at Mosport to prove to the Internet would-be pundits that the program wasn't dead! Anyway, it's not like they are competing for anything, they can just cherry pick the events they think it would be nice/meaningful to run at right now. As ugly as the thing is, it would be nice to see the thing run more frequently as it does appear that the car has some potential.
Edited to reflect my opinions.

Chris
Old 2 Aug 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2935021)   #19
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also while it's always nice to get some PR value there's not much point in racing if you're not allowed to get anything out of it - especially since the car seems to have (some) potential. They can do their testing outside public and keep somehow praying for actual homologation
As written on July 18 before Mosport, there are currently no plans to homologate the Abruzzi; it will race at least the remainder of the 2011 season unclassified:

Quote:
The Don’s beloved Abruzzi will be able to race. It’s suggested that the Abruzzi could be homologated, including the required 25 road cars (though building and selling are different propositions), but there are now no plans to do so. The previously-rumored homologation project is now on hold....

...The one bright spot within GT is – oddly enough – the Abruzzi. Homologation aside, The Don is determined to race the car, and Prototype Technology Group has been working hard to make that happen. Those who dismissed 32-year-old Swede Edward Sandström as a “rent-a-ride” badly missed the mark. Sandström has been a regular in the FIA GT3 championship in Europe, and partnered Tommy Milner to a win at the 24 Hours of Dubai this year, giving PTG good insight on his driving skills. There have been some problems with this program (and Murphy’s no fan of the styling, to put it mildly), but he doesn’t think The Don’s entry will be the GT backmarker at Mosport. This time it’s possible as many as four entries could finish in its wake.
In my opinion, there is absolutely no possibility of Panoz Auto Development building and selling 25 Abruzzi road cars. Can they get the ACO to homologate on the basis of the Esperante GTLM? Perhaps, since they share the basic platform/chassis, the last generation based on a Multimatic build. The fact that homologation is "on hold" may indicate that the ACO isn't interested in that approach. If one remembers the history behind the "road car minimum rule," it's not hard to conclude the ACO won't want to fiddle with it.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2935073)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I hope the Panoz makes as many races as possible.

Anyway, I should be up there at Mid Ohio for Saturday and Sunday. Apart from the racing action, we just needed an excuse to get the hell out of the 110-115-degree temperatures we're having down here.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2935092)   #21
Mr_Bib
Rookie

United States
Mr_Bib should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's possible that the Panoz would not be able to run Mid-Ohio on account for the body damage suffered during the Mosport morning warm-up. With this being a new car and all, I'm sure the spare parts inventory isn't quite up to par yet. PTG really did a hell of a job to get that car put back together and run close to the same speed that the car was seeing in practice/qualifying. The car even led the GT class (if it were a GT car) over the pro Ford GT for 10 laps or so as it stayed out during the first caution to make up a lap. It looks like the Abruzzi won't be at Road America either as it's currently not on the entry list.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2935146)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps they are only entered in select events, to try and boost interest and ticket sales at those events!!!
Old 3 Aug 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2935451)   #23
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told last week by someone very in 'the know' that the entire Abruzzi program was completely canceled right after Mosport. There will be no road cars and the race car will not surface again.

Put a fork in it. It's done...
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2935456)   #24
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
I was told last week by someone very in 'the know' that the entire Abruzzi program was completely canceled right after Mosport. There will be no road cars and the race car will not surface again.

Put a fork in it. It's done...
Glad all the money was poured into it, instead of silly stuff like TV packages and other unnecessary nonsense.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:12 (Ref:2935460)   #25
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
Glad all the money was poured into it, instead of silly stuff like TV packages and other unnecessary nonsense.
What he said.