Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 1 Dec 2005, 05:31 (Ref:1474369)   #1
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Legge to A1GP!!!!

According to Autosport, Katherine Legge will compete in the next round of the A1GP as a reserve driver to Robbie Kerr. After that who knows...

cant find the news anywhere else at the moment
Old 1 Dec 2005, 06:24 (Ref:1474381)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news for her.

Looks like the end for Alex Lloyd though.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 07:15 (Ref:1474402)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You know I'm happy.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1474421)   #4
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. let me see now. Katherine Legge or Alex Lloyd.......

Does anyone really believe she's faster than Alex?
Old 1 Dec 2005, 08:18 (Ref:1474422)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She's spent the past year doing a full season of racing, unlike Alex.

She's got a profile, unlike Alex.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1474442)   #6
DEADDUCK
Rookie

United Kingdom
DEADDUCK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my eyes this will not have anything to do with talent or speed, or Legge having a full season of racing over Lloyd who has only done three or four races this year, this is to do with PR and Marketing.

You can not say it has to do with Alex having a higher or lower profile that Katehrine or vice versa, as for obvious reasons you can not compare the two. Alex will be the quickest driver and in a shoot out that would be seen (if that was to happen), I hope he gets the chance to show why he was chosen in the first place for Team GBR in A1 and why he was chosen for the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year award in 2003.

If Team GBR want to ensure they have a fighting chance for the top three in the Championship then putting Legge in the car might not be the best move from a team point of view and consistency.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1474452)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Legge isn't going to race it, so it's not doing any harm.

And the Autosport article quotes her as saying this test is marketing led - so again everyones eyes are open.

If it brings more attention to Team Great Britain it's got to be good.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1474599)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally im a little fed up with people putting Legge down, shes done a great job this year in Toyota Atlantics finishing 3rd overall, yes the championship may not be as strong as in previous seasons but the series is still strong. What has Alex Lloyd done thats so great really? 1 Win from 7 races in Euro F3000? Or even finishing runner up in Formula Renault UK? Either series is not above the level of Toyota Atlantics IMO, now if he had won in Int F3000 it would be another story, but Euro F3000 was pretty week in 2004 I think most people will agree. Legge deserves this chance, IMO. and hopefully next year she will be in Champ cars too.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1474622)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
All Katherine is going to do initially is drive the team's the second car in two extra 20-minute test sessions planned for the Friday morning of the A1 GP weekend, which have been arranged to allow for the running in of additional engines and chassis finally made available in Dubai for all the teams. But she will also be the reserve driver for Team GBR for the weekend. So what happens if she blows the doors off Robbie Kerr?!?

I do feel sorry, however, for Alex Lloyd, because this is exactly the opportunity for which he has patiently been waiting and now he sees it being given to someone else. To me it smacks of a publicity grabbing and, ultimately, money seeking exercise. Perhaps those stories about the team being short of funds were not so wide of the mark.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1474691)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't see the problem with this. She isn't the race driver exactly.

I don't necessarily think she'd do a bad job in that capacity incidentally.

This can only be a good thing.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1474841)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a good thing; Team GB gain some useful marketing exposure and Katherine Legge's results this season merit her inclusion.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1474934)   #12
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good luck to her. I hope she proves what she is worth, eventhough she will not take kerr's seat for sure!!
Old 1 Dec 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1475049)   #13
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it is certainly a marketing initiative and of course we do not know who is paying for it. If team GB really do have financial difficulties then i guess they will explore every avenue available to them. Furthermore if they do have finacial constraints they will not be paying a second guy to fly around the world to stay in hotels and just run on Fridays so i suspect Robbie is going to be doing most if not all of the running all season. As far as KL is concerned it is wrong to pass judgement on her ability before she has even been in the car. She has had good results in the USA this year and is comming of the back of the Minardi test.If it benefits both parties, why not. I would of course prefer to see Alex given his chance but who ever said life, let alone Motor Racing was fair. Lets all wish her the best and watch her progress in the car with interest.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1476043)   #14
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kick in the brass monkeys to Alex, he should just walk walk away asap.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1476053)   #15
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If she actually got to race (Highly Unlikely) we could always trail round at the back with Austria and China!! Come on Surtees sort it out!

Hey why don't we have my local Sunday League Football Team turn out instead of Beckham and Co at next years World Cup as well!
Old 3 Dec 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1476093)   #16
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sounds like a good plan, they'd prolly do better anyways!!!!!

I don't really care on this, Legge has done well this season and if its a marketing thing, so what? It's gotta hurt Lloyd, but if he was that bothered he'd find a seat elsewhere. The fact that he doesn't seem to be able to get a drive elsewhere might mean he puts up with it...
Old 3 Dec 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1476300)   #17
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The thing is that, being a second driver, he has little posibility to drive, be it Lloyd ir Legge, and if there is anyone who would like to spend some money on her to test the A1, let him pay.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1477248)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
She's spent the past year doing a full season of racing, unlike Alex.

She's got a profile, unlike Alex.
So Alex needs it more.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1477442)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's not about what's good for Alex, it's about what's good for the team
Old 5 Dec 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1477529)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
So why did the team choose Alex in the first place?

I have nothing at all against Katherine; she's done very well this season, but I await with some interest her performance on Friday.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1477705)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why did they choose Alex? probably beecause they needed a driver who didnt have any clashing commitments at the start of the A1 GP season, and seeing as how Alex Lloyd hasnt had a drive in 2005 he was one of the few obvious choices. Now though almost all the other racing championships are finished for 2005 and therefore new drivers are available to take his place in the team. IMO.

I too await Katherine's debut with interest, dont expect too much too soon though shes had very little running in the car, signifcantly less than that of say Alex Lloyd. That said id be very suprised if she were towards the back.
Old 5 Dec 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1477806)   #22
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
I too await Katherine's debut with interest, dont expect too much too soon though shes had very little running in the car, signifcantly less than that of say Alex Lloyd. That said id be very suprised if she were towards the back.[/QUOTE]

We will see, IMO she will not be up to it whatsoever nothing against her I just think she is completely out of her depth.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1477917)   #23
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wouldn't say she's out of her depth, but I would be surprised if she's in the top 7 in testing. Give her and Alex a shootout, and let the best (wo)man win.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1478297)   #24
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're possibly getting a bit ahead of the situation here.

Robbie is this year's driver. Any dilution of effort will slow his continued progress, so they will continue to concentrate their efforts on him to get him to the front and to win races (and prize money - almost slipped my mind there!!).

Anyone else getting into the car will be for a specific purpose, be it PR or whatever, not to take anything away from Robbie.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1478575)   #25
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
I think you're possibly getting a bit ahead of the situation here.

Robbie is this year's driver. Any dilution of effort will slow his continued progress, so they will continue to concentrate their efforts on him to get him to the front and to win races (and prize money - almost slipped my mind there!!).

Anyone else getting into the car will be for a specific purpose, be it PR or whatever, not to take anything away from Robbie.

Very much agree but why do we have to have this pure publicity stunt?