Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Jun 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1017120)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richmond Winner! ***Spoiler***

Congratulations to Dan Wheldon! What a come-from-behind victory! Alot of action in this one, as expected. Alot of the top runners were knocked out of the race to.

Some observations...

Another tough break for Sam Hornish, as he gets into Scheckter. Both survived, but Hornish's race was pretty much over as he went a couple of laps down.

Mark Taylor again makes a bad move, taking Franchitti and Scheckter out. I think he's done, or he should be anyway. He's not quite ready for this series, and an angry Franchitti said so after the race.

Matsurra is another guy, that keeps taking drivers out, this time it was Barron. At least he got black flagged.

Takagi looks plain scared to be in one of these cars lately, doesn't he? He's looked that way since his crash in Motegi.

AGR and Honda will be tough to beat.

Another quiet, uneventful race for Dixon. He's still 5th in the points, but doesn't seem real competitive this year.

Congrats to AJ Foyt IV! He finished the race!

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Jun 2004, 02:39 (Ref:1017124)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the official order:

1 - Wheldon
2 - Castroneves
3 - Miera
4 - Herta
5 - Kanann
6 - Rice
7 - Fernandez
8 - Dixon
9 - Sharp
10- Giaffone
11- AJ FoytIV
12- Franchitti
13- Hornish
14- Matsurra
15- Ray
16- Carpenter
17- Scheckter
18- Taylor
19- Takagi
20- Manning
21- Unser
22- Barron

Not sure why the IndyCar web-site has Meira coming in second. Castroneves passed him on the final lap to take second.

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Jun 2004, 02:45 (Ref:1017128)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
an interesting race thats for sure.

What a drive by Wheldon , amazing I thought he was just having a shocker of a weekend but he turned it around brilliantly.

Not sure about your comments on matsuura though , yes he has had a few bangs with other drivers , but it is his first year and has been very impressive this year so far , I say he could develop into a very good driver.

totally agree with takagi , something just isnt right there ?

Taylor , I though he had turned things around with his qualifying but race day proved very tough again , is he the new Tomas Schekter ????

good race though Richmond knows how to turn it on and so does the penske boys , they really had the pace but it just didnt work out for them.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 03:05 (Ref:1017135)   #4
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
poor tomas
i didn't get to watch the race, but i did have the live scoring up on my computer, one minute he was at 3rd, next he just dropped right off but am i right in thinking it wasn't his fault? (again!) i thought he had bad luck last year, but this season is the worst!
lol, i've read a lot of not-so-nice comments about Taylor, but i think you're right GP, he's just not ready for the series yet..
and if TK couldn't win the race, i'm glad it was his cutie pie team mate Wheldon!!
(doesn't do much for my fantasy 10 comp scores though!!)
Old 27 Jun 2004, 07:49 (Ref:1017215)   #5
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
ps is that Foyt IV in 11th place? well i'll be...
Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1017344)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great race, well done Dan! You really deserved this one.

Darren Manning gets caught out at last. I hope he wont calm down too much, his style is great to watch and will allow hime to make a winning pass one day

Mark Taylor is starting to show that he's in over his head now. Maybe someone like Lazier would be a better choice, let Mark do some more IPS.

Dario was unlucky. He's driving better than ever but he got punted off this time. Maybe he cold have got on the podium? Who knows.

That ends my analysis of my fellow Brits

Buddy Rice ran very well again. No doubt about it now, he's the real deal. He and Helio got very held up by Sharp at the end there.

Well done to AJ, for finishing

Sam the Man is just not having any luck this year, is he? Was looking like he was gonna drive away from everyone this year with his Penske but with the domination of Honda and his bad luck, it's just not gone his way.

After six races, it's maybe a bit too early to look at who might be in the championship race but Kanaan, Wheldon and Rice are the most consistant front runners so far.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:41 (Ref:1017360)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to Dan.

Takagi clearly had a car problem - why he didn't park it rather than stay out running so slowly, I don't know.

But he wasn't going that slow for "driving reasons".

I think the standard of the IPS has to be looked at.

The past two champions, Foyt and Taylor, dominated that series and are crashing too much in IndyCar.

Therefore the feeder series isn't doing its job of preparing them.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1017364)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great great race, full of action, and everyone walked away when thigns did go wrong.

Most championships don't evne have 20 starters, let alone any chance of someone coming throguh from that far back to win. Great driving from Dan, and it seems ike Honda still have the edge on raceday, although Sam and Tomas could've done better with different luck.

Questions really have to be asked about Taylor now. Beign fast enough for this kind fo racing isn't the issue, he's just making far too many msitakes and becoming a dange. If anything he's worse than Tomas was 2 years ago.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1017365)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Here's the official order:

Not sure why the IndyCar web-site has Meira coming in second. Castroneves passed him on the final lap to take second.

They took the result from lap 249 because the yellow lights hadn't been switched off.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1017371)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A piece of disorganisation almost worthy of CART. Can you iamgien teh fallout if there'd've been a serious crash on teh final lap, which ultiamtely didn't count?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1017563)   #11
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And to think the AGR didn't qualify all that well!
I've said that they are a force to be reckoned with this year That was an impressive showing by them this evening.
Poor Tomas, indeed. I mean, how much lower could he have been on the track!?

Did anyone else get a little chuckle when they asked Helio about seeing the yellow light?(shades of Indy! )

Last edited by MLM; 27 Jun 2004 at 14:50.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1017564)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

On the commentary we got on Sky Sports (Larry Rice and Gary Lee) they tried to insist the Hornish/Scheckter incident was a 50/50 blame!

They will never criticise Hornish for anything.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1017572)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Sorry about the post above - you can tell I'm angry when my typing is worse than usual.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1017655)   #14
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that Taylors spotter Tom Sneva didn't tell him that Dario was underneath him. That was a quote from Mark Taylor in his press release.

Meira had a good run.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1017664)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Meira was impressive.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1017692)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Isn't Tom Sneva partially sighted after botched laser surgery? Seems like a good chocie of spotter if that's the case - did Stevie Wonder turn downt he role originally?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1017737)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Sneva's been the Panther spotter for a while.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1017846)   #18
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Sneva's been the Panther spotter for a while.

They started the season with Roberto Gurrero as Taylors spotter but I was told that by the time Roberto thought in Spanish and/or Portugese and then translated it into English he was too slow. Then they had Robbie McGeehee who I understand was talking on the cell phone while the car was on the track. Now they have Sneva as John Barnes only wants ex drivers as spotters.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1018013)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Thanks!

That must be a return for Tom - I recall he was there last season.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1018141)   #20
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pancho was the only spotter for Panther last season.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1018153)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Thank you! Confused myself!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1018209)   #22
pitpopsie
Racer

United Kingdom
Indiana
pitpopsie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No probs
Old 27 Jun 2004, 23:57 (Ref:1018234)   #23
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
Then they had Robbie McGeehee who I understand was talking on the cell phone while the car was on the track.
are you serious? i feel kind of sorry for Taylor now!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:37 (Ref:1018249)   #24
Team Owner
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by jenna
are you serious? i feel kind of sorry for Taylor now!
Yes I'm serious.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 00:48 (Ref:1018251)   #25
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
i can be his spotter! i'd do a better job than them! of course i don't know any of the terminology.. except "yellow yellow" so that's all i'd really have to say! but at least he'd know when a yellow was out LOL!