Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Jan 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2812222)   #226
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Given the race is for both GT and production cars anything less than a 50 car grid would be considered a failure wouldn't it?
I wouldnt say a failure seeing as though its the first race with the GT and prod classes but more of a disappointment on what could've been. You could probably point to factors such as disgruntled production car racers who raced last year but wont return this year because they are not the outright contenders (take a look at the Nurburgring 24hrs, its not all about the outright) and the reluctance of some GT racers not taking part because of the high costs of running a GT car over 12hrs and initial involvement of AGT management . Next years race is going to be make or break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Trouble is it's "niether fish nor fowl ".
They have set back a growing prodcar entrant group but not produced a genuine GT International event.
Probably have destroyed the prodcar possibilty so next year should be a full on GT3 no holds barred, no driver restriction, no success ballast International event.
Then we have to hope that the other production car wvents that have appeared round the country can revive that class.
Oh! yes. Move it further away from the Dubai 24hr date as well if they want to attract some overseas entrants.
Great post, you make some really good points there (except getting rid of the production cars- I dont the race would be viable relying soley on the GT class). This could be a really good international event that attracts people from all over the world. Look at Dubai they've got nearly 90 cars on the entrylist-if only the Bathurst 12hr could be as popular, it could be quite strong in the long term.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 05:14 (Ref:2812251)   #227
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
You could probably point to factors such as disgruntled production car racers who raced last year but wont return this year because they are not the outright contenders (take a look at the Nurburgring 24hrs, its not all about the outright)
Given that competitors had probably invested in cars given they were in the outright class, you can understand the discontent in the production car ranks over the change.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2812253)   #228
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Given that competitors had probably invested in cars given they were in the outright class, you can understand the discontent in the production car ranks over the change.
Yes I can but they still have a place in the race and hopefully the coverage of the race puts good emphasis on them and not just the GTs. It worked alright last year for the lower classes IMHO.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2813043)   #229
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
YES YES YES.... By team joest racing in the bathurst 12 hours more eyes will be looking at this event more closely. I say maybe in future the bathurst 12 hour event could become a warm up event for pro teams who compete in such events as the 24 spa race and the 24-hours race at the Nürburgring.

fingers cross this pays off! and by 2012 we have a few more euro teams come across.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2813061)   #230
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are always a few who continue to knock the event. Even when it was simply prod racing there were people bringing it down so it really is water of a ducks back.

The event will succeed to a international level and prod class will always be there. It will also more than likely move back to the 24hr within a few short years.

As for crowd support, there are a number of car clubs supporting the event with more to follow. Unlike B1000, it will a strong mixture of clubs from different makes supporting the event.

So stop the whining, buy your ticket, or join a team, or bring your car club along, but at the end of the day get up there and enjoy the damn event!
Old 9 Jan 2011, 01:36 (Ref:2813087)   #231
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Will the Zukanovic Mustang GT500 be running in this years event?
Old 9 Jan 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2813461)   #232
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Will the Zukanovic Mustang GT500 be running in this years event?
I doubt it, as the car is for sale: http://my105.com/listingdetails.aspx?id=3496
Old 10 Jan 2011, 00:22 (Ref:2813483)   #233
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
I doubt it, as the car is for sale: http://my105.com/listingdetails.aspx?id=3496
That's a shame, I was hoping they would sort out the fuel pick-up problems and re-enter for this years event........maybe another victim of the GT category. It would've been good to watch it haul up mountain straight........oh well, stay home this year.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:02 (Ref:2813505)   #234
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It would've been good to watch it haul up mountain straight........oh well, stay home this year.
You're kidding, aren't you?

This year's race will be much more spectacular from those gone by. The music of things like the F430, Gallardo, Mosler, Porsche, R8 and Corvette will make it much more fun than the Evo-fest of previous years.

They're all much more interesting to watch/liston to than the Mustang, and they are cutting-edge GT beats, not a slabby overwrought retro tank.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2813514)   #235
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a story floating around that there was a Skelta being entered for B12... Surely not?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:16 (Ref:2813520)   #236
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplater View Post
You're kidding, aren't you?

This year's race will be much more spectacular from those gone by. The music of things like the F430, Gallardo, Mosler, Porsche, R8 and Corvette will make it much more fun than the Evo-fest of previous years.

They're all much more interesting to watch/liston to than the Mustang, and they are cutting-edge GT beats, not a slabby overwrought retro tank.
Thanks but no thanks........I like the proddies they are cars I can relate to.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2813546)   #237
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Entry List Here

No Mr Bright this year? He was advertising on the ride board for a seat...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jan 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2813548)   #238
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list is out....check out the hit to production car numbers.

Class A – GT3 Outright

No Driver 1 Driver 2 Driver 3 Manufacturer Model
2 Dean Grant Max Twigg Geoff Emery Mosler MT 900
7 Mark Eddy Craig Lowndes Warren Luff Audi R8 LH5 GT3
8 Darryl O’Young Marc Basseng Christopher Hies Audi R8 LH5 GT4
12 Marc Cini David Reynolds Dean Fiore Porsche GT3 Cup S
17 Peter Edwards John Bowe Tim Leahey Ferrari 430 GT3
29 Tony Quinn Klark Quinn Craig Baird Porsche GT3 R
37 Hector Lester Luke Searle Allan Simonson Ferrari 430 GT3
38 David Wall Greg Crick Des Wall Porsche GT3 Cup S
69 James Koundouris Theo Koundouris Steve Owen Porsche GT3 Cup S

Class B – GT3

6 Peter Boylan Geoff Morgan Rick Bates Porsche 997 GT3 Cup
10 Andrew Waller Cade Bell Craig Willis Porsche 997 GT3 Cup
39 Paul Tressider Shane Smollen Simon Middleton Porsche 997 GT3 Cup
23 Roger Lago Matthew Kingsley David Russell Porsche 997 GT3 Cup
66 Scott O’Donnell Simon McLennan Miro Kinopka Porsche 996 GT3 Cup
67 Allan Dippie Stephen Thompson Mark Maddren Porsche 996 GT3 Cup

Class C – GT4

25 Paul Freestone Hayden Pullin David Seiders Corvette 206
44 Tony Alford Peter Leemhuis Mal Rose Nissan GTR R35
62 Adam Gowans Richard Meins Chris Lillington-Price Lotus Exige S
63 Rob Thomson Jon Mills TBA Lotus Exige S
80 Beric Lynton Matthew Mackelden John Modystach BMW M3

Class D – Production (High Performance)

3 Dean Herridge John O’Dowd Angus Kennard Suburu WRX STI
28 Peter O’Donnell Matt Hansen Christian D’Agostin BMW 335i
43 Leigh Burges Damien Flack Neil McFadyen Mitsubishi EVO IX GSR

Class E – Production (Performance)

16 Paul Nelson Bob Holden TBA Ford XR8
26 Bruce Thomlinson Geoff Fontaine Richard Gartner BMW 130i
50 Ryan McLeod TBA TBA Holden HSV VX-R Turbo
27 Allan Shephard Garth Duffy TBA BMW 130i
68 David Glasson Dennis Roderick Aaron Harris BMW 130i

Sorry GTR didnt see your post*

Last edited by nafe!; 10 Jan 2011 at 07:24. Reason: duplicate
Old 10 Jan 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2813557)   #239
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only 28 cars for 12hrs... the track will be pretty empty for the spectators
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2813585)   #240
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Only 28 cars for 12hrs... the track will be pretty empty for the spectators

..... I'd rather see 2 x Ferrari then 200 x Mitsubishi Lancer ....

Even if they last 12 Minutes... I'm there
Old 10 Jan 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2813589)   #241
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In all seriousness

From a purely spectator point of view - more cars would be better.

But

This year you have cars that are interesting ...

I love this race, so i'd go no matter what cars are entered - but this year is truely exciting.

To have these cars racing around the Mountain for 12hours will be ace - Just the Audis alone will be good to see.

It's a shame more proddies are not entered, but in all seriousness - they don't attract a crowd.

If the race continues down the GT route, then next year is the key year - a field of 40 GT cars, now that is mouth watering.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 00:25 (Ref:2813969)   #242
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
20 GT cars in the return of GT endurance racing to Bathurst. What a failure...
Your joking yes??
This is more than the 24hr event.

There are more production cars in the 12hr than the EC 8hr so its way ahead of the EC event.

As for support classes, these are also a strongly supported.

Interesting to see what car clubs are supporting the event. There are 10+ MR2's coming up with more Toyota's looking at joining in. I understand the BMW club will be there along with 8 Audi R8's on display. Can anyone shed some more light on car clubs and support classes?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 02:24 (Ref:2813987)   #243
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There was a story floating around that there was a Skelta being entered for B12... Surely not?
Glad that didnt come to fruition, surely that car meets neither the GT or prod regs.

20 GT cars are more then I expected. And to see Simonsen in one of those Ferraris is fantastic! Hopefully this is the beginning of great things and Audi Joests participation opens the doors for other overseas teams to want to race in this event next year.

I'll have to see if I can make it trackside but otherwise does anyone know know anything about a live stream like last year or FTA coverage?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2813997)   #244
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B12 3 hour highlights package will be on OneHD after the event. Not sure on the live streaming yet.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:41 (Ref:2814040)   #245
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24 View Post
As for support classes, these are also a strongly supported.

Interesting to see what car clubs are supporting the event. There are 10+ MR2's coming up with more Toyota's looking at joining in. I understand the BMW club will be there along with 8 Audi R8's on display. Can anyone shed some more light on car clubs and support classes?
Support classes are Group C & A Touring cars, Group N historic Touring Cars, Improved Production Touring cars, Formula Vee & HQs.

ImProd & HQs each have more than 55 entries! Support races look to be very promising!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2814053)   #246
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit disappointed by the number of entries, but I must say they are generally quality entrants.

Does anyone know whether Dean Herridge has been allowed to enter his Spec C 2.0L STI tarmac rally car or 2.5L STI?

I just noticed on the entry list on the 12 hour website that Nelson/Holden have entered a HSV VY R8 not a Falcon XR8.

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/wp-...0-January1.pdf

Last edited by davo.; 11 Jan 2011 at 07:17.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2814068)   #247
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
It's a shame more proddies are not entered, but in all seriousness - they don't attract a crowd.
Its all well and good to say that the Production Cars didn't attract a crowd, but neither have the GT cars in previous attempts to run a long-distance race at Bathurst. Why will this time be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B24
There are more production cars in the 12hr than the EC 8hr so its way ahead of the EC event.
What has the EC race got to do with the Bathurst 12hr??

The only comparison for the 2011 12hr is the 2010 addition, which attracted a much bigger grid of cars, and would have garnered a similiar entry again this year if run to those regs.

28 cars is not enough for Bathurst 1000, letalone for a race double the distance.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2814107)   #248
6.213km
Veteran

Quote:
Its all well and good to say that the Production Cars didn't attract a crowd, but neither have the GT cars in previous attempts to run a long-distance race at Bathurst. Why will this time be any different?

What has the EC race got to do with the Bathurst 12hr??

The only comparison for the 2011 12hr is the 2010 addition, which attracted a much bigger grid of cars, and would have garnered a similiar entry again this year if run to those regs.

28 cars is not enough for Bathurst 1000, letalone for a race double the distance.
I guess the EC race gives a fairly good indication, that even a race dedicated to production cars isn't being supported.

About 28 cars is the Bathurst 1000, and as much as I'd like to see more cars this year in the 12hour, its a good start for the GT guys first go.

I must agree with what has been said about the quality of the field. Good drivers in good cars, and most importantly, good variety in the cars that are entered. There are a lot of names in the field from last year, many of whom were in good cars like EVO's in 2010.

This race has the potential to be one of the better GT endurance races in the world. But we've got to grow it slowly. The promotors have done a very good job of growing the event. They obviously have big ideas, but understand its a year by year progression to get this race to be something very special indeed.

Lets face it, itd be nice if the Production Car guys turned up and ran for class honours - but production car racing hasnt been strong in Australia since the Procar colapse. There were cars bought and run once at the 12 hour and not seen elsewhere much all year. GT Racing in Australia is at a good level in Australia right now. The machines are interesting, and the car owners are the right people to have a budget to run a car in a 12 hour race.

Be patient, enjoy 2011 - and if all goes well, expect an even better field in 2012.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2814116)   #249
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so how many will actually start? there are a few TBA's there.

its disappointing that the field is smaller than last year
Old 11 Jan 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2814136)   #250
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sorry guys, I just cant see the point of view of the general consensus. I dont know how this is a step forward. It is a joke.

Have another look at the entry list...

Out of the 28 that are entered, only 9 are genuine GT3 cars. I am not including the Porsche Cup Cars here..

so in essence.. that is your race. between 9 cars. And we had what ? 25 that turned up to the support race at the 1000 ? I hardly see 9 out of 25 being classified as "embracing the change".

Abject failure.

Everyone whinged and whined and *****ed about the last few 12 hours being "EVO" fests, despite the race last year being won by a BMW, with a Holden 3rd..

Well, out of the 15 "GT3" (or close enough) spec cars that are entered.... looky here... 10 are Porsches !!!! How is this an improvement ?

Wake up guys.

It isnt.

and then we have a collection of cars that didnt met the 12 hour regs, but arent Gt3 cars either (the R35, the M3 etc)

Yes, the Audi's are cool.
Yes, Gt3 racing in europe is cool to watch
yes, the nurburgring 24 hour is cool

But down here, in our little cocoon of 20 million vegemites, it just doesnt stack up as a viable, mainstream form of racing. It is not affordable. If we want a race that the world will come to, then why not make it worth their while and make it 24 hour - and get all the big european teams to come out.. travel half way around the world before their season gets underway and race (to them) in the middle of nowhere..

oh hang on, i sense deja vu.... or is it just me ???

The "old" 12 hour was market relevant in the Australian market, gave people a chance to see privateers v factories, gave good national level racers a chance to shine and gave Bathurst back it's essential roots - win on sunday, sell on monday.

With the right revision to the rules, the race would have been a real contest. Anyone who watched last years would agree it was a terrific contest. The competitor numbers was growing, the interest in the event was growing...

If you believed that production car racing in Australia didnt work, then the Bathurst 1000 would not have gone much past about 1965...

Now look at it.

The biggest issue with Production car racing was the lack of a series built behind the 12 hour and the lack of direction from within the category and the lack of vision from cams. This didnt encourage people to build cars..

I understand that this has now been rectified, with a new category manager in place and who i hear is keen to take it forward.

How you guys can compare the Eastern Creek 8 hour to the Bathurst 12 hour is beyond me. The Eastern Creek 8 hour could be a great event, but we all know one key point... it isnt Bathurst. And the interest in it reflects that. Bathurst is Bathurst and nothing will change that.

How about we go and run the Gt3 cars round there for 8 hours and see if they can do any better ? I think we all know the answer to that question.