Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Oct 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2964383)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ROCKINGHAM TODAY (BARC Sunday 2nd October)

Just a quick line to say a big thank you to all concerned for a wonderful days racing at ROCKINGHAM today. My special thanks go to Richard Sprigg in his rapid Anglia, not only for winning in style, but for the mention he gave me over the circuit tannoy, whilst being presented with his winners garland. Cheers mate, appreciated.
To Lee, and Al, and all the lovely people I met today, thanks for making a sunny day, just that bit sunnier.
Well done to you all.
Gerry.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2964472)   #2
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see you again Gerry, hope your journey home was a tad quicker than your cross country inbound trip
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 2 Oct 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2964477)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah ha.

I had just worked out where Al had been today and looked up the results wondering why there was no pre-existing thread (as far as I could tell.)

I spotted the IROC-Z heading south on the M1 behind its tow car. At 17:40pm.

I made a note of the time because, by my estimate, about 2 minutes later it was going to join the back of the southbound queue that made me glad I was heading north. I didn't spot the yellow Z28 so assume it was ahead somewhere, There was enough action northbound to keep my eyes from straying right too often and for any length of time.

My guess is that they may be home for breakfast. At all looked a bit solid in places for no obvious reason - though these days with all the barriers in the roadworks and stuff it's quite difficult to tell if there has been a 'reason' for the delay.

(Also noticed loads of cars clockwise on the M25 between the A3 and M1 junctions that had suffered punctures. Rather odd to see so many. But that has nothing to do with Gerry's thread of course ...)
Old 2 Oct 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2964505)   #4
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Grant that was me towing Al's IROC-Z as he wanted to take both cars to Rockingham. I got stuck in the traffic which added about an hour to the journey & Al was about an hour behind me. I saw a couple of ambulances on blues & a helicopter in a field by J13. I hope it wasn't too serious.

Unfortunately Al got black flagged in practice due to smoke - must have been caused by being on my trailer overnight as it blew a power steering hose yesterday when Al was driving it onto my trailler and then it threw off it's fanbelt in the race, so Al only got one lap of racing in the IROC.

Bumble behaved much better so I'll leave it to him to report back & post his video as usual.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2964512)   #5
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a parting vision of Al I do not wish to be repeated
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 2 Oct 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2964523)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Grant that was me towing Al's IROC-Z as he wanted to take both cars to Rockingham. I got stuck in the traffic which added about an hour to the journey & Al was about an hour behind me. I saw a couple of ambulances on blues & a helicopter in a field by J13. I hope it wasn't too serious.

Unfortunately Al got black flagged in practice due to smoke - must have been caused by being on my trailer overnight as it blew a power steering hose yesterday when Al was driving it onto my trailler and then it threw off it's fanbelt in the race, so Al only got one lap of racing in the IROC.

Bumble behaved much better so I'll leave it to him to report back & post his video as usual.
Hi Cliff, I wondered if it was you but only caught a quick glimpse and these days the old eyes don't re-focus quite quickly enough to take in the number plate!

TSL has the IROC missing from race 1 but doing 10 laps in race 2. Is this information suspect?

As we headed north the queues southbound started around Luton with the typical concertina stop/go pattern of heavy traffic rather than anything else. There was one point that looked like something else might be gong on but I didn't notice any emergency vehicles at that time. Not sure where it was. Could have been around 13. With 3 narrow wobbly lanes and nose to tail traffic I tend not to gaze around much especially when you just know that most of the travellers will have had a long day enjoying the sun somewhere. Probably.

Glad to hear the delay was only about an hour. Bad enough of course but I could imagine it being much worse.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 07:03 (Ref:2964631)   #7
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al used Bumble in the pre93 race 2 rather than the IROC - Z
Old 3 Oct 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2964646)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Had a good race in Post Historic Touring Cars at Rockingham although the IROC-Z let me down again with silly little problems, so much potential in that car bit still cursed with bad luck. Had a great race in the Post Historics with Bumble the 71 Z/28 swapping places with Mosten Rutter in the old Firenza and Milly the Capri and Andy Johnson in the Golf and thought I had him as I caught him on the line but he got the result by 400th of a second! Had to press Bumble into service for the second Pre 93 race and although totally outclassed on Dunlop tyres and built to the earlier regs she still delivered and wasnt lapped.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2964785)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Here is a bit of incar video from the 2nd Pre 93's race where I had to press old Bumble into service after the IROC-Z developed a water leak, always something. Bumble was on the wrong tyres and I tried removing the rear sway bar but got horrendous understeer under power with oversteer as soon as I lifted off, most strange answers on a postcard please??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqWAHGcOoQ
Old 5 Oct 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2966341)   #10
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some incar of the first few hectic laps of Rockingham @ the weekend eventually finishing 2nd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xhJQMYYlwc
Old 6 Oct 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2966509)   #11
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your sunbeam lotus looked awesome coming towards me as i was standing marshalling at yentwood...