Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jun 2001, 20:44 (Ref:102664)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question

Noticed in Motorsport News, that some bloke was racing the 1993 Bathurst winning Commodore at lakeside. This makes me wonder. How do the laptimes of a car that old compare with, say, a VT or an AU?
Old 8 Jun 2001, 22:03 (Ref:102681)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably a lot slower, and slower than lap times for the same car in 1993. These older cars generally become slower as time passes, unless they're purchased by a bit of a hotshot who can spend the money on tyres and engine development.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 01:41 (Ref:102748)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was doing 55 second lap times, but the last time the V8s raced at Lakeside they were doing 51s, so I would imagine a V8 nowadays would be wroth a 50 second lap time.

In his defence- that was his first race at the track, and one of his first drives in that car straight out of karting. Also, even though it won Bathurst, I have it on some decent authority that the car is a pig...

Here's a pic I took of it, i can post more if you like?
Attached Thumbnails
wesley-may2.jpg  
Old 9 Jun 2001, 01:48 (Ref:102755)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Here's a pic I took of it, i can post more if you like?
Crash Test, that'd be great. There was one pic in Motorsport News, but it wasn't really that good.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 02:03 (Ref:102762)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, bugger, I posted a link but its dead...will work on it..

Last edited by Crash Test; 9 Jun 2001 at 02:06.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 02:40 (Ref:102773)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
is that brendan may ??

son of Les may...the mays were due to set up a V8 team several years ago but it never eventuated but if that is them then it seems they have finally done it.

The may's have been fantastic in the world of karting, there is Les who has raced for years and the 2 sons brendan and the other one i cant remember his name.

hope they do well and the car looks nice as well.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 06:00 (Ref:102798)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
His name is Wesley May, he used to race karts...

I remember Les May once wanted to get into Super Tourers...
Old 9 Jun 2001, 09:04 (Ref:102819)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

I would say 55s is fairly commendable for a first outing at Lakeside in a car that might be iffy. In fact, even if it weren't iffy, depending on how much testing Wesley has been able to get in. We don't know, for instance, how old his tyres were or other things that may have been hampering him.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 09:49 (Ref:102841)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be grinning from ear to ear if I could do 55s around Lakeside. Actually for a new boy, he drove cleanly, stayed out of trouble and didn't do anything silly. The car was also very clean and shiny.

Does anyone know what they plan to do with the car. I hope they run it in the Konica series. I think it's terrible when people buy a touring car and just sit on it or fool around wasting their time and money in State level Sports Sedans.

The lap record for a V8 Supercar at Lakeside is 51s, set by Glenn Seton in the Ford Credit EL, on the way to winning the 1997 Championship. Last year's Konica round is the only V8 Supercar race that has been held there since. So therefore, no one has raced an AU or VT at Lakeside yet as this year is the first time they've been allowed in the Konica series.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 11:53 (Ref:102895)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, they ran that weekend as a test session for the Konica round there in a few weeks.

Apparently all the important bits are being prepared by John Sidney, but from what I can gather, there isn't much life left in the chassis.

His clutch was as dodgy as, and put him out of the main race after he jumped the start. In the scratch race he was at one stage pretty desperate to get by Chris Fing- swerving all down the straight.

He spent most of the previous Saturday doing laps of the track, and from Sunday on he was pretty steady in the 55s.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 12:05 (Ref:102902)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's actually wrong with the chassis, can it be fixed?
Old 9 Jun 2001, 12:10 (Ref:102905)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Dunno, ask Wayne Wakefield
Old 9 Jun 2001, 12:18 (Ref:102912)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Has Wayne driven this one too?
Old 9 Jun 2001, 12:29 (Ref:102928)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, he drove it at Sandown in 1999 before both Canto and Kim Jane tried qualifying it unsuccessfully at later rounds... I think it was also the Cougars car, so it hasn't really had any runs on the board in a long time.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 12:33 (Ref:102934)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
So Wayne qualified in a car that Canto and Kim Jane couldn't. Hmmmmm......
Old 9 Jun 2001, 12:36 (Ref:102937)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
But I have a feeling they didn't have a full grid down at Sandown...
Old 9 Jun 2001, 13:50 (Ref:102978)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Wesley may ..thats the other brother..and yes Crash test Les May did drive super tourers for a little bit ..he had a go at the red momo BMW M3 that was punting around.

yep 55's are a respectable time and of course he drove well ..hes a karter

hope he does well in the lites race and hope they can fix the chassis.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 00:31 (Ref:103165)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think the way to fix the chassis might be to get a newer one, heck, this one is older than Romano's old war horse.

Last year the front runners were right on the lap record, and this year they have only gotten faster. So he has got to hope there is 4 seconds in the new engine or he might be in a bit of trouble..
Old 10 Jun 2001, 03:19 (Ref:103203)   #19
Ray Bell
Veteran

A few laps spent following some of the front runners (even if in vain) during practice will pull a couple of seconds of, don't worry.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 11:12 (Ref:103276)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
The first time the Commodore Cup came to Lakeside, the top guys all found a second a lap by following WW. He demonstrated that you don't have to brake for Carrussell at 400 meteres!!!!!

I'm sure the Konica boys will brake the V8 Supercar lap record at Lakeside next month. I would love to see WW be the one to do it. So would 3,000 other people I guess.

It's funny that last year when Romano was trundling around the back of the field, spearing off the road and hitting everyone in sight, Bap would complain to anyone who'd lidten, and a few that wouldn't, that Paul would show everyone how it's done if he could just get a decent car instead of the decrepit old bucket he was running.

I often wondered if that meant Bap would be very negotiable on price when time comes to sell the car, or would he jack the price up to buggery and demand top dollar, insisting the car was worth every penny. Now that Romano is wasting everybody's time in the HYL car, the old VS doesn't look so bad now does it?
Old 10 Jun 2001, 11:47 (Ref:103294)   #21
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I'm sure the Konica boys will brake the V8 Supercar lap record at Lakeside next month. I would love to see WW be the one to do it. So would 3,000 other people I guess.
3000? That would be everyone present, plus 50% of the readers of the next week's Motorsport News?
Old 10 Jun 2001, 11:59 (Ref:103302)   #22
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
plus 50% of the readers of the next week's Motorsport News?
<cough> still be double Auto Fictions wouldn't it?

At least the editor doesn't get stuck into anyone that writes a letter and then later claims they are not biased!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 12:10 (Ref:103311)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I am in no possition to comment on this.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 12:17 (Ref:103315)   #24
Ray Bell
Veteran

Of course, too busy hosting the big party...

I would think Motorsport News is getting the figures these days. Better format, undoubtedly more reliable, the old Fishwrappers was always good for rumours and guesswork...
Old 10 Jun 2001, 12:20 (Ref:103316)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Fight fight fight!!

No, seriously, I would be curious to know if magazine circulation figures have dropped since the proliferation of the internet. I know i won't buy them anymore, everything i want to know, I can get for free right here.