Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Sep 2023, 11:03 (Ref:4177202)   #1
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone National, 23/24 September, Rds. 25/26/27

Its time for the penultimate meeting of the 2023 season!

Not the most interesting (in terms of layout) or aesthetically pleasing of circuits, but Silverstone's National Circuit can produce some good racing.

Timetable

BARC Noticeboard

Qualifying Livestream
[Scheduled to start at 15:30]

TV Times:
ITV4 - 11:00 - 18:10

Key BTCC Times:
Race 1: 11:30
Race 2: 14:25
Race 3: 17:10

Support Series in Action:
Porsche Carrera Cup GB, Porsche Sprint Challenge GB, MINI Challenge JCW, and a warm welcome to the Caterham Seven Championship UK
Old 18 Sep 2023, 15:13 (Ref:4177246)   #2
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Track limits at T1 could be interesting…
Old 18 Sep 2023, 15:20 (Ref:4177248)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Track limits at T1 could be interesting…
Time to bring back that 1 metre strip of grass they used to have there...
Old 18 Sep 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4177251)   #4
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Time to bring back that 1 metre strip of grass they used to have there...
Don't know about grass, wouldn't a small gravel trap stop most running wide?
Old 18 Sep 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4177293)   #5
SSmith
Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised if we see 30+ lap times deleted in qualifying.

Does anyone know how many corners are being monitored for track limits this weekend? Obviously Copse, but there's also been problems in previous years as they turn on to the Wellington Straight (the exit as they use the cut-through between Maggots/Becketts and Aintree), and the apex and exit of Brooklands. Luffield has the gravel deterrent. I vaguely remember someone (Boardley?) getting pinged for regularly cutting Woodcote a few years ago.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 10:25 (Ref:4177393)   #6
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would be the latest that Team HARD could enter Huff for the last two rounds?
I know all the rumours and suggestions (and some would say confirmed) talk is that he will be there, but as far as the regs go, is there a cut-off before the meeting where it has to be confirmed?
Old 19 Sep 2023, 10:28 (Ref:4177394)   #7
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we see 30+ lap times deleted in qualifying.

Does anyone know how many corners are being monitored for track limits this weekend? Obviously Copse, but there's also been problems in previous years as they turn on to the Wellington Straight (the exit as they use the cut-through between Maggots/Becketts and Aintree), and the apex and exit of Brooklands. Luffield has the gravel deterrent. I vaguely remember someone (Boardley?) getting pinged for regularly cutting Woodcote a few years ago.
I'll be at Copse for at least one race. I was already thinking if Toyota are getting a hang of it all that Butcher might not be able to use his usual line through there! He's quite 'grassy' when running at the front, along with Cook (and Shedden the last few years) when compared to everyone else!
Old 19 Sep 2023, 11:05 (Ref:4177399)   #8
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
What would be the latest that Team HARD could enter Huff for the last two rounds?
I know all the rumours and suggestions (and some would say confirmed) talk is that he will be there, but as far as the regs go, is there a cut-off before the meeting where it has to be confirmed?

I must admit that , with just 3 days before the teams arrive at Silverstone, that there is no entry list published, even if it said that it was subject to amendment.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 11:15 (Ref:4177406)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Assuming he isn't already registered, then as always, it is in the hands of the administrator.

'Any subsequent change to an Entrant's registered car, or driver, during the course of the Championship is by application to and approval of the Administrator.'
Old 19 Sep 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4177409)   #10
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Assuming he isn't already registered, then as always, it is in the hands of the administrator.

'Any subsequent change to an Entrant's registered car, or driver, during the course of the Championship is by application to and approval of the Administrator.'
Thanks for that. Good to have someone who knows this stuff around here!

I had wondered if there was an extra fee. But I think I'm getting myself mixed up with the deadline for the season entries? I'm sure there was something (I can't find it now) about Jade Edwards being a late addition beyond the entry date for this season.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 12:05 (Ref:4177415)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks for that. Good to have someone who knows this stuff around here!

I had wondered if there was an extra fee. But I think I'm getting myself mixed up with the deadline for the season entries? I'm sure there was something (I can't find it now) about Jade Edwards being a late addition beyond the entry date for this season.
It depends on which category the change comes under.

'Drivers who are accepted into the Championship after Friday, March 24th, 2023, will be classified as Late Registrations and may incur a 20% entry fee surcharge at the Administrator’s discretion.'

however:

'BTCC teams may nominate a substitute driver in exceptional circumstances. [...] No extra registration fee is payable.'

At a guess - Huff's first appearance may have been accepted as a substitute, but if he appears again, it is likely as a change to the registered driver (and so might have to pay a surcharge.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 13:11 (Ref:4177426)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Spin the HARD driver wheel of (mis)fortune and it lands on ....

https://www.btcc.net/2023/09/19/thom...season-climax/

Bobby Thompson
Old 19 Sep 2023, 13:15 (Ref:4177427)   #13
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can’t complain!! Hope he can end the year on a high
Old 19 Sep 2023, 13:30 (Ref:4177434)   #14
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Spin the HARD driver wheel of (mis)fortune and it lands on ....

https://www.btcc.net/2023/09/19/thom...season-climax/

Bobby Thompson
Wow. Happy to see him back. What a complete merry-go-round its been this year.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4177439)   #15
SSmith
Veteran

Entry List Its an early list so there is a chance of a few changes before Friday.

Confirms Bobby Thompson at Go-Fix with Autoaid Breakdown

MINI JCWs - 19 entries
Debut of Spencer Russell at Graves Motorsport. Scheduled return of Sam Smith at Hybrid Tune. Of the full-time entries, Cordell and both Petters are absent. The declining size of the grid may be behind the addition of a scholarship and a new sub-class for 2024.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB - 21 entries
No Am class - Sherwood is already champion and was the last remaining Am entry. No Richardson Racing. Return of Gus Burton to JTR. Theo Edgerton is listed as returning to the championship, now competing for Toro Verde [I believe this entry was originally earmarked for Tio Ellinas].

Porsche Sprint Challenge GB - 18 entries
Appears to be the same entry as Donington, minus John White.

Caterham Seven Championship UK- 24 entries
I know very little about this series, but 24 entries makes this the largest support series this weekend.

Last edited by SSmith; 19 Sep 2023 at 14:27.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 14:39 (Ref:4177441)   #16
Evantra
Veteran

England
https://t.co/LBk3Bj2qiU

More on the Thompson story, and it sounds like Huff is seriously considering a full return next year.

“It was great for Tony [Gilham, Hard boss] to get me in the car at Knockhill, but unfortunately the stars haven’t aligned for the rest of the season,” Huff told Autosport.
“I will be attending Silverstone on Saturday to speak to teams about potential opportunities for next year for sure.
“We’ve moved back to the UK [from Huff’s former residence in Dubai] and the BTCC is something I’d love to do.
“It’s on my doorstep, it’s where I grew up, and it’s where I’d love to finish my career off.”
Old 19 Sep 2023, 15:06 (Ref:4177444)   #17
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

More on the Thompson story, and it sounds like Huff is seriously considering a full return next year.

“It was great for Tony [Gilham, Hard boss] to get me in the car at Knockhill, but unfortunately the stars haven’t aligned for the rest of the season,” Huff told Autosport.
“I will be attending Silverstone on Saturday to speak to teams about potential opportunities for next year for sure.
“We’ve moved back to the UK [from Huff’s former residence in Dubai] and the BTCC is something I’d love to do.
“It’s on my doorstep, it’s where I grew up, and it’s where I’d love to finish my career off.”
"Unfortunately Tony hasn't got the money to pay me. I do like earning money. I will be at Silverstone to see if anyone will pay me next year. It would be useful to race where I am living to cut down on travel time and expenses. If anyone's got money, I'm available to take it."

Not that I begrudge a single element of that. He's a world champion and has more right than most to expect to earn a living from his racing.

Last edited by thetool; 19 Sep 2023 at 15:21.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 15:12 (Ref:4177445)   #18
SSmith
Veteran

Quote:

I hope we see him next year full-time. There'd be a wonderful symmetry to his career and of course 2024 is the 20th anniversary of his BTCC debut. He just needs to find a sponsor and/or team with the budget to pay for him!
Old 19 Sep 2023, 15:24 (Ref:4177448)   #19
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
I hope we see him next year full-time. There'd be a wonderful symmetry to his career and of course 2024 is the 20th anniversary of his BTCC debut. He just needs to find a sponsor and/or team with the budget to pay for him!
How many teams have the budget to pay him
Old 19 Sep 2023, 15:36 (Ref:4177453)   #20
coffinpilot
Racer

Very sorry to see that Dan Kirby has passed away.
I'd imagine that WSR/MB/Jake Hill will be running a sticker on their car (along with a couple of others with Trade Price links.)
Very sad indeed when we lose people who are young.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4177464)   #21
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Very sorry to see that Dan Kirby has passed away.
Not doubting the accuracy of this, but I can't see it having been reported? He was tweeting only a couple of days ago so it must have been something very sudden.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 17:57 (Ref:4177466)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if this refers to an American Dan Kirby who passed away recently.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 18:09 (Ref:4177469)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't know if this refers to an American Dan Kirby who passed away recently.
Boss of Trade Price Cars Racing, and occasional BTCC/TCR racer
Old 19 Sep 2023, 18:34 (Ref:4177473)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Boss of Trade Price Cars Racing, and occasional BTCC/TCR racer

I know that, but as 'thetool' says above there doesn't seem to be any social media announcements, that I can see, about his passing. However, a man of the same name in the USA, although older than this Dan, has recently passed away and that is all over social media.
Old 19 Sep 2023, 18:44 (Ref:4177476)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00087128476062

Seeing some other posts, it appears to be a tragic moment that speculation should be avoided in terms of the circumstances.