Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Sep 2003, 21:56 (Ref:711227)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ALMS Laguna Seca Result

Yet another fantastic ALMS race has just finished and again it was a cracker. The top 10 looks like this:-

1 - Joest Audi
2 - Dyson #16
3 - Panoz #10
4 - Champion Audi
5 - Prodrive Ferrari #88
6 - American Sprit Racing
7 - Prodrive Ferrari #80
8 - Intersport #30
9 - Corvette #3
10 - Corvette #4

GT winner was again the Alex Job Porshe
Old 7 Sep 2003, 23:48 (Ref:711301)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The title is marching Biela's way, I think. Which, while a shame for Lehto (he was ROBBED in '99), is OK by me; Frank deserves it.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 00:03 (Ref:711308)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you know the whole title of a driver, seems so odd to me, of all racing Endurance racing and ALMS for sure is a team event, and should the spoils go to the Team (Joest or champion) not the driver-when it should be driverS any way, this is something I have been thinking about evrytime they showed the 'points race so far'
Old 8 Sep 2003, 00:07 (Ref:711312)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I agree, to the extent that points should be awarded jointly; but I do think that there should (and must) be a drivers' title. That said, even in endurance racing, you do get situations in which one driver in a pairing is so obviously dominant, and therefore might potentially deserve a title.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 03:04 (Ref:711345)   #5
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the winning Prodrive car of Kox and Enge was excluded from the win. Full story can be found here. http://www.speedarena.com/artman/pub...cle_3369.shtml
Old 8 Sep 2003, 14:57 (Ref:711921)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
prodrive are protesting what exactly?
the other prodrive ferrari still wins, perhaps they should look at the car and see what the gaff is
Old 8 Sep 2003, 15:52 (Ref:711991)   #7
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's pretty much standard practice to file a protest regardless of the infraction. Not filing is like an admission of guilt isn't it?
Old 8 Sep 2003, 16:51 (Ref:712075)   #8
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a release with what prodrive has to say about it.

http://www.speedarena.com/artman/pub...cle_3377.shtml

According to them, the data collected by the ACO during the race showed it working properly and not a problem. Then during the test, the airbox failed, which caused it to fail the test.

They appealed because its failure during the test was not an advantage during the race. Apparantly though the appeal was overruled at the track.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 00:16 (Ref:712523)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Didn't one of the BMS Scuderia Italia Ferraris have an airbox problem for which it was temporarily excluded? Is this a design problem?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 00:38 (Ref:712536)   #10
Hauptmann6
Rookie

Hauptmann6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
I agree, to the extent that points should be awarded jointly;
They are this year. I think Frank was in a different car for one race this year so Werner has fewer points.

If both drivers are in the same car all year they will have the same point total now.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 00:45 (Ref:712539)   #11
the Farouk
Rookie

the Farouk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the race. Weather was perfect and it was so nice to see the Ferraris kicking Corvettes Ass. We were next to some Corvette fans and we were shameless in our gloating.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 03:58 (Ref:712611)   #12
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is they have no way to prove that it wasn't "failing" during the race.....the test is a test and it was made to do what its supposed to do...
Old 9 Sep 2003, 04:51 (Ref:712621)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: ALMS Laguna Seca Result

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Yet another fantastic ALMS race has just finished and again it was a cracker. The top 10 looks like this:-

1 - Joest Audi
2 - Dyson #16
3 - Panoz #10
4 - Champion Audi
5 - Prodrive Ferrari #88
6 - American Sprit Racing
7 - Prodrive Ferrari #80
8 - Intersport #30
9 - Corvette #3
10 - Corvette #4

GT winner was again the Alex Job Porshe
And another good result for Dyson : if this car really improved its reliability, it could do something in longer races...
Old 9 Sep 2003, 07:13 (Ref:712705)   #14
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the Michelins taking the GTS fight away, I found it quite boring. I would have said best result for Ferrari in the 21st century, but that's false now. On the track however, 1st and 2nd in GTS, 2nd in GT. The 2nd in GT is quite significant to the outlook of the 360 teams. The #80 car wasn't near as pretty after the race. lol

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 9 Sep 2003, 08:56 (Ref:712807)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Hauptmann6
They are this year. I think Frank was in a different car for one race this year so Werner has fewer points.

If both drivers are in the same car all year they will have the same point total now.
No, Biela and Werner have driven together all season, except at Le Mans. But I think points are still awarded for pole, fastest lap, certain number of laps led and so on, which splits up the drivers. (Incidentally, Lehto and Herbert DID drive different cars at Sebring, hence Herbert mathematically cannot be champion.)

Does anyone else remember Emanuele Pirro leading a drivers' petition to simplify the ALMS points system (maybe at the end of 2001)? What the hell happened?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:41 (Ref:712851)   #16
Thumper
Racer

Thumper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
With the Michelins taking the GTS fight away, I found it quite boring.
I wasn't there, more's the pity, but I gather things were more exciting in GT, where there was a great battle for second and third. Good to see the PK guys running so strongly (for Pirelli, as it happens). Robin and Alex seem to be a excellent pairing, so it might not be too long before we see the British squad on the podium.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:01 (Ref:713104)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BSF, they did simplify it. No more pole point, no more fast lap or most laps. It's strictly who's in the car that gets the points.

Most of the driver differences within cars come down to Sebring. F'rinstance, Herbert has fewer points than Lehto, because JJ finished second in the Audi, and Herbert was third in Bentley. Similarly, Andy Wallace has fewer points than Chris Dyson.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:26 (Ref:713132)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
But then how do Biela and Werner have different points totals, when they've driven together all year? I'm confused. They won together at Sebring with Philipp Peter.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 14:16 (Ref:713183)   #19
Carousel
Rookie

Carousel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biela and Werner both have 135 points, leading LMP 900.

26 Sebring
16 Road Atlanta
20 Sears Point
20 Trois-Rivieres
20 Mosport
13 Road America
20 Laguna Seca

Here's the link: http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/points/p900.pdf
Old 9 Sep 2003, 20:35 (Ref:713530)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also good to see American Spirit Racing working their way up the finishing order in recent races....keep pushing on, Lewis & Drissi!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Sep 2003, 02:34 (Ref:713725)   #21
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Tim, you are correct in pointing out American Spirt, they are doing pretty well. What I am now puzzled about is the lack of pace of the Intersport R & S. I expected more from them, and yet they seem to not match American Spirt's car, which is not as developed chassis, aero or engine. I won't buy too much about learning curve either. Maybe their old Lola had more life in it with different pilots?
Old 10 Sep 2003, 07:51 (Ref:713840)   #22
Hauptmann6
Rookie

Hauptmann6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skycafe, the R&S is totaly new to them so I would think it would take more than one race to get them up to speed with it. That Lincoln is a totaly different animal than the Judd.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 00:40 (Ref:722576)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was the Turn 2 Kaboom. Our photographer was on the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
aaugh!.50.jpg  
Old 18 Sep 2003, 00:44 (Ref:722577)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And then she wrote:
Attached Thumbnails
two in the dirt.50.jpg