Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Oct 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1121168)   #1
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2005 Rolex Series

2005: At least 14 races.

Daytona (2), Homestead, Watkins Glen (3), Phoenix, California, Barber, VIR, Mont Tremblant, Mid Ohio, Laguna Seca, Mexico.

Homestead with IRL

Watkins Glen (1 stand alone, 1 with NASCAR, 1 with IRL)

Laguna Seca very likely, but not yet 100%. Infineon highly unlikely. Too many issues to overcome right now that include politics, track configuration, and money.

California and Laguna Seca back to back (April)

Mexico apparently not with NASCAR Busch but a stand alone or with Champ Car ???

Phoenix to move to fall. Finale location close to Las Vegas for Banquet ??? Back to back with Mexico ???

Barber will be on non-NASCAR weekend to interest NASCAR drivers to participate (July 29-31).

Mid Ohio to run after second Watkins Glen race (NASCAR weekend).

A few teams from this year won't be around in 2005 but there will be plenty of new teams. 25 to 30 DP cars for the Rolex and 20 to 25 cars for the season.

More factory support from Ford and GM and a factory supported Infiniti engine program.

2006: 18+ races

Long Beach and St. Petersburg could feature IRL, Grand Am DP, and Grand Am GT races.

Pontential new street race in a city near the Mexican border.

Another race in Canada
Old 11 Oct 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1121252)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to se that the schedule is taking shape.

I think that the race in Phoenix may be a support race for the race in April maybe?
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1121434)   #3
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Louis: is this straight from Grand-AM, some other news source, are these your predictions, or is it a wish list?

Last edited by jhansen; 11 Oct 2004 at 20:11.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1121446)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't quite see a reason for 3 races at Watkins Glen.
Old 11 Oct 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1121474)   #5
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
I don't quite see a reason for 3 races at Watkins Glen.
True BUT, The race there with NASCAR is a sprint race on the Short Track/Friday and probably the race with IRL will be the same most likely on Saturday like Homestead. The third race will be the traditional 6hrs of the Glen. Which is on a Sunday and it will definitely not accomendate the other two series racing on the same day!

Louis schedule sounds similar to what I heard the past two weekends.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1122087)   #6
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca?
Old 12 Oct 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1122169)   #7
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sportscarsRULE
Laguna Seca?
I feel the same way, but I kept hearing Laguna Seca but I don't thank its going to happen!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1122207)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, only one Homestead instead of two (good), but three Watkins Glen? I thought I had heard that GA was switching from NASCAR to IRL weekends, not getting a new one.

The two new ones you're listing are Mexico and Laguna. Good moves for the series if they can pull them off.

On a personal note, it's a shame Mosport doesn't enter your picture of GA's schedule. The Cup race had come in previous years, with Powell Motorsports calling the track home, and I would have liked to see that Cadillac this year.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1122359)   #9
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mosport would be great and I have heard that the local track management is interested, but too much politics...

I think the reason for three Watkins Glen is that only the Six hour weekend has the available track time to allow Grand Am Cup to participate. Else they would loose out on Watkins Glen. Also, I think the reason to bring the Rolex series back for a third race is money. If the promoter has to pay for a support series to show up, why not pay a corporate cousin. Loosing the Nextel Cup weekend would probably hurt Grand Am as there are some current and potential sponsorship deals in place with Nextel Cup drivers.

Laguna Seca has been trying to establish another spectator weekend with the Road & Track U.S. Sports Car Invitational. Bringing Grand Am would be an expansion of this year's April event. I have heard that they had considered Grand Am for 2004, but uncertaintity over "the show" kept if from happening. Mid Ohio has shown the way that you can have both series and profit. I hear that Laguna Seca is very close to being finalized for 2005 and while not 100% yet, is considered a high probability.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1122473)   #10
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LouisTheShark
Laguna Seca has been trying to establish another spectator weekend with the Road & Track U.S. Sports Car Invitational. Bringing Grand Am would be an expansion of this year's April event. I have heard that they had considered Grand Am for 2004, but uncertaintity over "the show" kept if from happening. Mid Ohio has shown the way that you can have both series and profit. I hear that Laguna Seca is very close to being finalized for 2005 and while not 100% yet, is considered a high probability.
I hope this happens .... I'll be there if they come to Laguna ... Fontana was a bit too far for me...
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1122493)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had been hoping to see a schedule that teams the GA series with the IRL and NASCAR. The France/George/ISC connections were to obvious to believe that this wasn't going to happen sooner or later. This can only help GA now.

I think its great, as these 3 series will have it all covered, ovals and road courses, featuring open wheel, tin tops, and sports cars in one package. Each series will provide the same type of close, door-to-door, and wheel-to-wheel action as the other. It will give a race fan all he could ask for in one race weekend, and the fan cross over stands to really boost attendance.

I had already planned to see the IRL at the Glen, but having the GA there on the same weekend, makes it a must see event now.

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Oct 2004, 21:35 (Ref:1122643)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Is Homestead 2 finished?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1132042)   #13
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca has announced their schedule and Grand-Am will open the track's season at the end of April.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1132128)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The news I've heard is that we will see some conflicting dates between Grand-Am and the ALMS next year. Some drivers are already being forced to choose.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1132136)   #15
richmini99
Racer

United States
Turners Falls MA, USA
richmini99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great news concerning Leguna Seca!

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...ts/9986396.htm

Old 22 Oct 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1132178)   #16
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
The news I've heard is that we will see some conflicting dates between Grand-Am and the ALMS next year. Some drivers are already being forced to choose.
Well, with both series apparently expanding their schedules, and Grand-Am pairing up with NASCAR and the IRL which limits the flexibility in their schedule, it's hard for the two series to not step on each other's toes even if they're trying not to.

OTOH, are there any teams left that regularly run in both series? The drivers may not be able to run a full season in both series, but how many teams would have to choose between the two on a conflicting weekend? I know that the #20 Crawford hasn't been running in GARRA on conflicted dates (both drivers with the ALMS), but are there others?

OTGH, drivers without rides in either series may like conflicting dates to open up seats, no?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1132193)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Darren Law, Terry Borcheller, and Cort Wagner are a few off the top of my head. Butch Leitzinger and Andy Wallace. And quite a few SWC drivers as well (Said, Auberlen, Lewis, Pobst, etc).

Last edited by jhansen; 22 Oct 2004 at 17:34.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1132224)   #18
Danske
Veteran

But of the drivers in both series their associated cars will still be in both even if the drivers themselves are not, no? So how much will the number of entries go down because of conflicts?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 18:34 (Ref:1132246)   #19
Shady#30
Rookie

Shady#30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its going to be like the Mosport/Mid O weekend this year with drivers flying all over creation between races...probably not a good thing. Then again, room for new talent?
Old 22 Oct 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1132265)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they will do like the did for Mid-Ohio (GARRA) and Mosport (ALMS) back in August as well....

I think it is insae to do that, but I believe they will do it...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Oct 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1132282)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's only if the races don't line up head-to-head. Mid-O ran Saturday evening for GA last year.

One of the conflicts I've heard is Barber vs Portland. I don't know how that distance will work out for the jetsetters, and I don't think either race will be Saturday.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1132357)   #22
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well laguna seca is confirmed

http://www.laguna-seca.com/Events/
Old 22 Oct 2004, 22:47 (Ref:1132470)   #23
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
One of the conflicts I've heard is Barber vs Portland. I don't know how that distance will work out for the jetsetters, and I don't think either race will be Saturday.
Hmm, that's the NASCAR open date too, eh? I'd presume that Tony Stewart would be back in a Crawford, but where will Junior land? And that's a little bit of the driver shortage fixed there too.
Old 23 Oct 2004, 03:11 (Ref:1132587)   #24
richmini99
Racer

United States
Turners Falls MA, USA
richmini99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone I know who was down at Barber said he read in the local paper that the 05' date was picked specificly to alow NASCAR drivers to compete in the heart of stockcar country. Pretty smart move I'd say.
Old 23 Oct 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1132892)   #25
LouisTheShark
Racer

As both series expand their calendars, it makes it more difficult to avoid date conflicts. TV, track availability, local promoter interest, etc. all play a role in deciding a date. The first Grand Am Mid Ohio Saturday evening race was created to avoid a conflict with the ALMS at Road America on Sunday. This year the Mid Ohio race conflicted with Mosport. My guess is that there will be some sort of Saturday/Sunday split if Barber and Portland fall on the same day. Thre is a lot of talk about splitting the DP/GT fields and I could see a Saturday DP race with a Sunday GT race at Barber. I believe there are some noise rules at Barber but I am not certain if they would prevent a Saturday evening run. I think a Saturday evening show at Barber with Nascar drivers would be fantastic.