Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3355575)   #176
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Motorsport View Post
Could ART compete in F1 as well as GP2 or is that like banned?
Arden?
Caterham?
Old 18 Jan 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3355589)   #177
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think ART will enter F1. Honda said, Honda will be exclusive partner for McLaren, so I don't see a second team running with Honda power.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3355605)   #178
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
I don't think ART will enter F1. Honda said, Honda will be exclusive partner for McLaren, so I don't see a second team running with Honda power.
Did they not mean exclusive works partner? I can't see why they would go to the expense of building the engine and choose not to make some cheap money back by selling it to customer teams.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3355652)   #179
James C.
Rookie

France
Paris, France
James C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Did they not mean exclusive works partner? I can't see why they would go to the expense of building the engine and choose not to make some cheap money back by selling it to customer teams.
No, exclusive partner, McLaren will be the only Honda-powered team, at least in 2015.

Actually, I'm not even sure "customer engines" are still allowed.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3355654)   #180
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James C. View Post
No, exclusive partner, McLaren will be the only Honda-powered team, at least in 2015.

Actually, I'm not even sure "customer engines" are still allowed.
With only 3 engine brands this year aren't most of the grid customers?
Old 18 Jan 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3355727)   #181
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're required by the regulations to offer their drive-train packages for sale to other teams. But isn't it too late for Honda to send drivers to GP2? I can't remember Yamamoto or anyone else who have tested anything in EU recently and in any case, Super Formula is at a higher level... so reserve driver at F1 teams would be a better option.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 23:42 (Ref:3355741)   #182
kartincolin
Rookie

Ireland
Cavan, Ireland
kartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkartincolin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Vandoorne confirmed in ART for next season?

It`s becoming a bit of a conundrum for drivers now whether or not go with Formula Renault 3.5 or GP2. Bianchi has gotten from 3.5 to F1, along with Magnussen now, whilst Frijns got reserve driver at Sauber. In saying that, Gutierrez, Chilton and Van Der Garde all graduated from GP2 last season. The fact that neither Leimer nor Bird will be on the F1 grid next season really undermines the GP2 series as a whole.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3355747)   #183
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Might be a bit of a reach, but I wonder if ART is one of the interested parties for an F1 berth in 2015.
According to things that I've read the teams that are apparently interested are Gene Haas's team as well as the return of rumoured Stefan Grand Prix and Colin Kolles squads.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3355848)   #184
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Andre Negrao goes (H)Arden - http://iris.cpidt.pt/sportmotores200...IA%2838468%29;
Old 19 Jan 2014, 13:52 (Ref:3355886)   #185
TR Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
TR Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Oh dear....
Old 20 Jan 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3356287)   #186
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So update: My guess

Russian Time: Tom Dillmann (?) – Nikolay Martsenko (?)
Carlin: Julián Leal – Felipe Nasr (?)
Racing Engineering: Raffaele Marciello (?) – Mitch Evans (?)
DAMS: Stéphane Richelmi – Jolyon Palmer
Hilmer: Daniel Abt – Facundo Regalia (?)
Rapax: Simon Trummer – Sandy Stuvik (?)
ART: Stoffel Vandoorne (?) – Naoki Yamamoto (?)
Arden: René Binder – André Negrão
Caterham: Alexander Rossi (?) – Rio Haryanto (?)
Trident: Giovanni Venturini (?) – Giacomo Raimondo (?)
MP: Daniël de Jong (?) – Tio Ellinas (?)
Campos: Arthur Pic – Denis Nagulin (?)
Lazarus: Dani Clos (?) – Johnny Cecotto jr. (?)
Old 20 Jan 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3356339)   #187
James C.
Rookie

France
Paris, France
James C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
With only 3 engine brands this year aren't most of the grid customers?
By "customer engine", I mean, different lower-spec or older-spec engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartincolin
Is Vandoorne confirmed in ART for next season?
No.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3356353)   #188
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
By "customer engine", I mean, different lower-spec or older-spec engines.
I wasn't talking about different spec engines before because it isn't allowed. I was talking about selling to customer teams.

Would definitely expect to see Frijns confirmed for a full season at Caterham most likely, or Russian Time. Didn't Frijns turn down a Russian Time seat last year? I wonder how well he would have gone if he didn't.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3356366)   #189
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw a promo from FDA. Marciello is going to GP2, but they don't say to which team. He is a very strong addition and championship challenger judging by his testing pace.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3356400)   #190
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everybody is assuming he is in with RE. Should be a killer combo if this is confirmed.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3356626)   #191
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No.
Eh? I thought he was nailed on for that when it was announced he was going testing and not returning to 3.5.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3356652)   #192
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he's not confirmed yet, but it's a very poorly kept secret.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3356699)   #193
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I wasn't talking about different spec engines before because it isn't allowed. I was talking about selling to customer teams.

Would definitely expect to see Frijns confirmed for a full season at Caterham most likely, or Russian Time. Didn't Frijns turn down a Russian Time seat last year? I wonder how well he would have gone if he didn't.
Weirdly it's Haryanto who's joining Rossi at Caterham
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112210
Old 21 Jan 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3356730)   #194
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Weirdly it's Haryanto who's joining Rossi at Caterham
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112210
Very....

I would've thought they would want Robin doing as much driving as possible as big team 3rd guy.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3356873)   #195
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that Frijns is supposed to be the reserve when Rossi is busy with GP2, it makes sense that he's not in the lineup. Whether they're backing the right horse between those two guys is another question...
Old 22 Jan 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3357016)   #196
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rossi's (arguably) still got to prove himself on track. frijns has nothing left to prove. on that basis alone surely they've got it the right way around?
Old 22 Jan 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3357092)   #197
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
rossi's (arguably) still got to prove himself on track. frijns has nothing left to prove. on that basis alone surely they've got it the right way around?
When you put it like that, it does make sense, yes. But it would be bloody good to have Frijns in GP2 as well though!
Old 22 Jan 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3357122)   #198
p-matt
Veteran

I definitely think Frijns still needs to prove that he can temper his speed. I hate to bring up the 3.5 Barcelona finale, but there's that and quite dangerous defensive driving in Nurburgring (I think) in GP2 last year. I still don't fully trust him in wheel to wheel combat. In that sense, it's better to place him in GP2 with Rossi instead of providing a seat for Haryanto to occupy for a year.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3357126)   #199
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
that would depend on money. caterham would have to fund both their gp2 seats instead of rake in a decent shed from haryanto that'll pay the overheads at least. if they've had to take on two pay drivers in f1 what are the chances they're going to fund 2 drivers in gp2?

slim to none, surely.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3357273)   #200
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
This is a good point, but I can't help but feel they're considering Frijns the #2 reserve to Rossi and that seems backwards to me from a driver standpoint. Of course, an American driver might be wiser from a commercial standpoint and this is Caterham, so the wisdom might be right on there too in the grand scheme of things.