Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 28 May 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1621502)   #1
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few from the mighty Pod

As always Santa pod was brimming with cars and was graced by some WWII fly overs
Old 29 May 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1622261)   #2
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

I went to Santa Pod for the first time on Saturday afternoon, it threw it down all the time I was there. There was no action on the track on Saturday from 10am until 5pm. I left about 2.30pm and did not manage to take any photos while I was there (unless anyone collects photos of road sweepers).
Glad I had free tickets as I would have been really mad if I had paid £27.00 a ticket only for there to be no action.

Thanks for the great photos.

Regards

Tim
Old 29 May 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1622274)   #3
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the tickets will be valid for future meetings, and were also able to be exchanged for Sunday/Monday tickets.

I too attended the Pod for the first time on Saturday and saw little running, leaving at 3pm, although I believe the track was dry and running from 5pm to 9pm. It was still a good day and I was fortunate to spend lots of time with Andy Carter and Dave 'Grumpy' Wilson (and their crews) - champions both.

I can't belive hopw noisy these things are!
Old 29 May 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1622467)   #4
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to have a sixth sense about when to go and when not. I even managed to get my first zebra stripe on my neck from standing in the sun with my camera strap, boy is that attractive.

I find taking track action photos at santa pod very difficult for a few reasons.

1. If you forget earplugs they are very noisy
2. The cars only go past once or twice per day so you only get a few chances to be in the right position and get the right shot.
3. When its busy, you can rarely find a good spot for a clear photo, especially when the big boys come out.

One thing i will probably take next time will be a small step ladder to get an extra height advantage on all the pot smoking bikers, lol.

I must admit though, if you have kids its great cos they get in free and i remember when my dad first took me, i was amazed by the smell, sound, vibrations and the speed.

I was quite glad with the few pics that ive shared as I always hope to have a few good ones per event (Im just starting out)
Old 29 May 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1622489)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was also there Saturday and went back today as there was little running on Sat. Santa Pod has a curfew of 9pm all year round, there was track action from 5.45 until 9pm on Saturday, including the fastest top fuel speed of the day 306mph.
They also ran until 9pm Sunday evening to try and catch up with the qualifying. A brilliant days racing today, plenty of close side by side runs and some new European records set in some classes. The top fuel bike winner set the worlds 4th fastest ever 2-wheel quarter mile run, 6.1 secs at over 221 mph.
Yes they are noisy especially the top fuel dragsters and fuel funny cars, as you would expect from 7000bhp 500ci blown engines with fuel pumps that deliver at a rate of 102 gallons of nitro methane per minute...Not that they carry that much, as a run is only around 4.5 to 5 secs!