Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Jun 2003, 07:44 (Ref:636318)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jamie Spence looking at GA Astra deal

According to Autosport, one time BTCC driver and single seater driver Jamie Spence is close to signing for GA to drive their 2nd BTC Astra in the weekends race.

As usual, he hopes to complete the season if budget can be found. The BTCC stalwarts amongst us may remember Jamie having a few BTCC outings in Andy Rouse's Nissan back in 1996 !
Old 19 Jun 2003, 08:39 (Ref:636352)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jamie Spence... drove for the ill-fated Duma team in F3 a few years back didn't he? What's he been up to since?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 08:57 (Ref:636367)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carpet laying I believe !!!
Old 19 Jun 2003, 09:16 (Ref:636375)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No relation to the fence jumping Russell Spence is he ?!

I hope that car is out for the rest of the season but I don't really know the guy - would he be as good as Howell was at Silverstone ?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 10:16 (Ref:636413)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
No relation to Russell as far as I know !

Last saw Jamie in a tin top in the Vectra's back in 1999, I seem to remember he was very lucky not to roll the car in a big way during an off track excursion at Oulton Park, it was bucking like a mule but somehow didn't go over !
Old 19 Jun 2003, 11:00 (Ref:636461)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jamie has had so many, many chances and has wasted them all, just like at Duma. Can't we find someone new and deserving of the seat?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 17:21 (Ref:636826)   #7
JEMMO
Racer

JEMMO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame Gareth Howell cant stay with the team. He did a great job at Silverstone.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:00 (Ref:636899)   #8
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jamie hasn't even attempted the BTCC in so many years, yet you are sticking the knifes in.

I doubt he'll be as good initally, due to Howell's recent BTCC experiance... but he isn't a bad driver, and the Vauxhall is reasonably easy to learn. Don't discredit the guy yet. If he is our only option of another car, I spose you'd better be pleased.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:09 (Ref:636942)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
No recent BTCC race experience but his did do a fair amount of testing in Edenbridge BMW last year.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:18 (Ref:636948)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Wasn't that Jamie Davies?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:30 (Ref:636961)   #11
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets not knock the guy till after the "Rock" Who knows he could be quick and just what GA are looking for.
Who is he replacing and why.
I seem to remember that Spence is a long time friend of a Gary Howells is it the same bloke who owns the team.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:37 (Ref:636972)   #12
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gary Howell?

No, he was a teammate to Gary Ayles in 1996 for Rousesport.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 21:06 (Ref:637001)   #13
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry that's the guy, my mistake.
Gary Ayles is he the boss at GA ?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 21:19 (Ref:637013)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Wasn't that Jamie Davies?
Now you mention it... it was
Old 19 Jun 2003, 22:07 (Ref:637064)   #15
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing you've got to say about Spence is that he's spectacular - his best result in F3 (2nd at Croft, 2001) came with his biggest crash in racing - a barrel-roll into the first corner.

Would love to see what he can do in a modern Touring Car.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 00:54 (Ref:637165)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
michael bentwood (and luke hines of course) has shown that any single seater racer can get in a touring car and, well, spank the establishment.

however, not sure how much wisdom there would be in putting him in it without any testing or anything like that.

tecchie question for you all so i know what i'm talking about this weekend - how difficult are btc-t cars to actually drive if you've never raced one before? i'm thinking in terms of throwing someone like spence in the deep end, does it require any huge amount of brainpower or driving talent to get the hang of them?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 07:00 (Ref:637279)   #17
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Bella

I think the main aspect is getting used to front wheel drive and the different technique required, ie keep your foot in when it starts to slide in order to keep the nose pointing forward.

Whereas in a rear engined, RWD single seater you would ease off the power otherwise the pendulum effect of having the weight and the power delivery at the rear, will simply spin you around.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 12:06 (Ref:637526)   #18
V8moz
Rookie

V8moz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking about Jamie Spence... does anybody know what happened to the "other" teammate of Ayles in 1996: Owen mcAuley?? haven't heard of him since...
Old 20 Jun 2003, 15:19 (Ref:637726)   #19
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no news wether he is at the circuit but the timesheets for Friday Practice do not mention him at all. So another autosport mess up again.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 16:44 (Ref:637783)   #20
cos
Veteran

England
Hey... Autosport didn't say he'd definitely be driving.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:05 (Ref:637940)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
more fool you for believing a bit of promotional press. the logic being that i assume jamie's skint but maybe if autosport print something someone might give them money...
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:16 (Ref:637961)   #22
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is true, but Autosport also did a large article on Plato on this matter which is what annoys me. The touch of death almost

BTW for legal reasons, Autosport I love you realy, and I buy the thing every week.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 20:37 (Ref:637976)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bella's hit the nail on the head regards the whole Plato affair too. Like I said from the start...
Old 20 Jun 2003, 23:02 (Ref:638085)   #24
the king
Rookie

the king should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
michael bentwood (and luke hines of course) has shown that any single seater racer can get in a touring car and, well, spank the establishment.
That statement's a joke, right? The Touring car establishment that has been spanked being.......Tom Boardman, Jim Edwards, Alan Blencowe and Paul Wallace!!!!

As Jim is running a three or four year old car, Tom has only managed 3 finishes (2 wins and 1 started about 4 laps down) the establishment they have "spanked" is Blencowe and Wallace.

Put either of them in a Tourer and see if they can "spank" Muller, Thommo, Reid, Leslie, Hughes etc.....I don't think so. That great single seater driver Hines who was so "spanked" in FFord that his old man had to send him off to a clubbie championship in top spec eqpt to win.

Spanked the establishment....my asre!
Old 20 Jun 2003, 23:15 (Ref:638091)   #25
cos
Veteran

England
What about last year? Kelvin Burt steps into a GA 156 at Silverstone without any prior practice and 'spanks' the whole of the 2002 production class...