Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Jun 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2474652)   #1
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cliff Hammond

Unfortunately dear Cliff has been moved into a care home recentlyand is currently resident at Lyme Valley House, 115 London Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 1ND.(There is a web page under this name). In fact, one of his carers tells us he misses the cars and the racing news and wishes there were books and magazines on the subject at his residence. Apparently his memory is poor and he gets confusd as to who people are but is happy to chat when he can.

Kenny Webb has called in to see him recently and reports "He is still alert though a bit slow to remember people when you say their name. I brought him up to date with what was going on and he wished to be remembered to all the old team"

I spoke to Mark Mitchell and John Wood at the weekend an both have promised to call in to see Cliff as soon as possible. I would hope that those of us who worked with Cliff over the years will get in touch by send him a letter or just card.

Perhaps there are others who live in the area that could pop in sometime and cheer him up. By all accounts where he is living is not ideal but unfortunately we have no control over that except to make his situation as comfortable as possible. We are also investigating the possibility of a "break out" occasionally so that he can visit Oulton.

Many thanks
Eric Ridler
Old 3 Jun 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2474809)   #2
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been visiting my Mum in a care home I know just how much of a boost that "escaping" for a few hours can make. It would be great to see Cliff again at Oulton, albeit in an honoured guest role. Lets hope that this can happen soon.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2474819)   #3
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel a VIP trip to the Gold Cup being planned

Will certainly write to him - i spent my first ever time trackside with Cliff and what he doesn't know about Oulton isn't worth knowing. Its a day that i'll remember forever, it was his enthusiasm (along with a couple of others) that made me decide marshalling was for me. The least i can do is send a letter with support and thanks for what he has done for so many.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2474852)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Eric says.......I have said I will pop in and see young Cliff as it's literally 5 mins up the road from me.
Also, I appreciate that many of you who know Cliff simply can't get to NUL so please post your messages to Cliff on here, and I will print them off and take them with me.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2474874)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
hey ill try and pop in and see cliff when i can....think the care home is litterelly up the road from me....
Old 3 Jun 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2474941)   #6
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For one reason or another I unfortunately never got to go on the Cliff walkabout as a new marshal and I very much regret this. For anyone who does not know him he is one of the most pleasant gentlemen you could ever wish to meet.

Cliff, all the very best

Steve.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 4 Jun 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2475270)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
*bump*
Old 4 Jun 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2475272)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPhoto View Post
For one reason or another I unfortunately never got to go on the Cliff walkabout as a new marshal and I very much regret this. For anyone who does not know him he is one of the most pleasant gentlemen you could ever wish to meet.
I also never got to go on Cliff's walk; however, the only time I was ever on post with him he enlivened what would otherwise have been a dull day at Clay Hill with his seemingly never-ending fund of anecdotes.

A true gentleman.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2475390)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark,

We're not so far away and reasonably quiet this June so will endeavour to visit.

In any case, please pass on our regards. I'd like to hope that Cliff will remember me - because when I started marshalling there were only one or two of us "ladies" on the bank and he really was the gentleman!!! I even have a programme from 1964 which he gave me in order to celebrate my birthday (OK now you all know how old I am), which was a lovely gift. The other thing is that I hope he has his photos with him because he used to take such pride in showing those and they dated back to before I was born (see above).

Best wishes to Cliff and KISS KISS.

Shelagh (& Bill by default)
Old 4 Jun 2009, 18:06 (Ref:2475457)   #10
peteh
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
peteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please pass on my regards and well wishes. I had the pleasure of a Cliff tour at Oulton when i started back a few years ago. A font of knowledge and some fantastic photos to show the new marshals. He certainly passed his enthusiasm on to me.

Pete.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2476435)   #11
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true gentleman

I was sorry to hear about Cliff and as far as I know he never made it to Anglesey Circuit which is a real pity as I am sure he would have made his mark and left it a better place, just as he did at Oulton Park. For those who never met him Cliff is one of the nicest natured gentlemen it has been my pleasure to meet and I only wish we had someone of his calibre to show people around here "by the sea".

If I could ask Mark M to pass on my personal best wishes when he next visits Cliff I would be most obliged whilst we as a circuit will certainly send him a card.

Terry B and all the staff at Anglesey Circuit.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2476443)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Terry, I will certainly do that......and those good wishes from others too!
I actually called in to see Cliff on Wednesday evening - I was passing and thought I would see if I could visit un-announced.
However, it was about 8pm and the staff were a little reluctant to let me in as they said he was getting ready for bed.
Therefore I said I would try again another time. I am working this weekend but will try again mid-week.
Old 7 Jun 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2477275)   #13
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent many times on post with Cliff and it was always a pleasure. He is a gentleman in every sense of the word.

When I started flagging his advice and guidance was invaluable. Every trainee flagger should have a Cliff as a mentor!

I have a great interest in the history of our sport and his stories of racing in the sixties and seventies were fascinating.

Mark, can you pass on my best wishes to Cliff when you next see him, please.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2477669)   #14
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By special request I got to go on one of the last ever Cliff walks and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Please pass on my best wishes to Cliff and I look forward to him making a Guest Appearance at Oulton in the near future.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2478182)   #15
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, As I am in Indonesia now it will be very hard to visit Cliff. I had many days on post with him when I started my marshaling career some 25 years ago. He was back then a fantastic observer from whom you could always learn something, be it about marshaling or motorsport history.
Please pass on my best wishes to him.
Old 10 Jun 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2478806)   #16
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having been marshalling a while before discovering Oulton, I too never took the tour. On the other hand, I often received it when on post, and Cliff was always charming, enthusiastic and the perfect representative of all that is marshalling to those who were considering taking it up. A lovely man, it's cruel that life has dealt him such a blow. Mark, let him know that even those of us he probably wouldn't have remembered anyway are thinking of him and wish him well. He's certainly missed.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2497918)   #17
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Early this morning Kenny Webb rang and asked if I would like to go and visit Cliff to which I obviously said yes. A few moments later he rang again and said we might have to postpone the trip as Cliff was in hospital. A couple of phone calls later and we found out where he was and that he was able to receive visitors.

This afternoon we went to see him in Bucknall Hospital, Stoke on Trent (Ward 5). Quite frankly I was shocked to see this shadow of a former pillar of our community. Apart from his physical appearance it was his mental condition which affected me most. I am not sure whether he recognised us or will remember that we paid him a visit.

We had considered arranging for Cliff to be collected and taken to the Gold Cup but after speaking with the nursing staff this was not recommended. So the only option is to keep in touch by visiting him either at the hospital or back at the care home.

Cliff says that nobody has been to see him which I am most concerned after several people said they would visit. Maybe it is Cliff's memory that is at fault but if anyone has been to see him they have not been in touch to say so.

Please, if you can spare him a few moments go and see him, you may not enjoy the experience but I think we owe him that much.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2498364)   #18
stevenage_saint
Rookie

stevenage_saint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a shock to hear about Cliff. I do miss not seeing him at Oulton. Although I never did the track walk with Cliff it was a pleasure seeing him turn up on post with new recruites and even more fun to have Cliff as an Observer on post.
Cliff is a real gent and I will definatly be thinking about him and please pass on my regards to him.
No matter how many times he told the tales of times at Oulton it was a pleasure to hear them again.
Andrew
Old 9 Jul 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2498391)   #19
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Well actually I have been to visit Cliff on two occasions!
Once I was not able to see him as he'd just gone to bed and the second time I spent only about 15 mins with him as I was actually working at the time.
As Eric says, it's sad to see a frail-looking, shadow-of-his-former-self Cliff.
He didn't know me and didn't appear well, but seemed to appreciate the BTCC Programme I gave him from Oulton.
Unfortunately, I am Printer-less at the moment, so was unable to take a copy of this thread with me - but I did tell him that all his mates at Oulton were thinking of him.
For anyone wanting to see him at Bucknall Hospital - the address is Eaves Lane, Bucknall, Stoke On Trent. It's not good that he's in Bucknall, but Im sure he will receive the best care whilst he's there.

Eric - I sent an email some time ago saying I had visited.......darned technology will never catch on!!
Old 9 Jul 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2498487)   #20
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wrote a letter to him today but forgot to pick the damn thing up before i left work. will ensure it goes out tomorrow as i can't get down to see him personally. i might print this lot and include it with my letter if no one can get to hand it to him personally
Old 9 Jul 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2498489)   #21
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
i might print this lot and include it with my letter if no one can get to hand it to him personally
Steve that's a great idea!
Old 9 Jul 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2498670)   #22
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Mark - Thanks for looking in on Cliff didn't think you wouldn't. As you know Cliff's ability to remember anything much is poor at best. But the least we can do is keep popping in now and again.

It may be a few weeks before Kenny and I can get down again so in the meantime please let me know if there is any worsening of his condition next time you pop in.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2499195)   #23
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Job done, my letter plus a print from this forum thread have been put in tonights post
Old 14 Jul 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2501855)   #24
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Steve. Nice touch.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 28 Jul 2009, 00:18 (Ref:2509594)   #25
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Hi to you all. I have been to see Cliff today and he seemed to be a bit brighter than last time me and Eric Ridler saw him at the hospital. He is now back at Lyme Valley Old folks home. He was in the hall as they let me in and is words were "How is that for timing" which was a positive sign.
We sat down and I said to him "What's my name" and he said "Give me a minute and I will remember". I then gave him an Oulton Park cap that Phil Hosker had given me as a gift from the circuit, he came straight out with, "I love Oulton and being out in the fresh air".
He is in limbo with the past at his job with the council in Stoke. He would drift back to the past when I was talking to him and say "I must go now and see what the next job is" then he would come back to the present time. It is very sad to see him in this state but I am glad that I can go and see him,and when he said "Thank you for coming it makes me happy", I know he his trying very hard to hang on in there. I asked him if he had received the 50yrs of Motorsport Marshalling book and he said he had so I feel that he still remembers about being at Oulton.
Well that's it for now, I have asked Eric to put this on tentenths so that all the marshals can share this meeting and hope they miss him as much as all the old farts do, me included.
Bye for now Ken Webb.