Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Oct 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1128621)   #1
Lucylu
Rookie

Lucylu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this ten tenths website and I'm a marshal at Castle Combe, what u think of the circuit?
Lucy
Old 19 Oct 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1128625)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome to Ten Tenths Lucy. I'm guessing you're aiming this at drivers, so I will move this to the Racers forum.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 19:05 (Ref:1128645)   #3
SophieK
Rookie

England
Bristol
SophieK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Luce, you know me, so you know I go there alot and think its great, though It would be better if it was easier to get onto the grid when having to do the battery for my Dad!! ha ha (you know I hate it)
Old 19 Oct 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1128658)   #4
Lucylu
Rookie

yeah soph ill try and rescue u next time! Us marshals have a hard job some times u kno!
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:48 (Ref:1129413)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Been a while since I've been there, and only for track days and testing, but I like it a lot. Even when I got caught out trying to trail brake into the first corner and stuck the car in the tyre wall... it could have been worse... it could have been my car !!

Anyway, personally I don't get excited by really fast straights into flat out corners with no run off and much prefer it with the two "new" chicanes (been there a while now I think). My philosophy is that any idiot can drive fast in a straight line, but it takes artistry to deal with a chicane properly
Old 20 Oct 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1129970)   #6
Lucylu
Rookie

Hi dtype
Think you need to get youself down there again - yeah the chicanes have been there awhile. Its great to see the cars round the track I love it, wish I could have a go myself but I suspect ill be in the tyre wall straight a way!!!
Old 20 Oct 2004, 22:07 (Ref:1130082)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Castle Combe has only been on my schedule once in the last few years and unfortunately I missed that round. I'm looking forward with baited breath, though, to the new season;s fixtures. The two series I race in have rounds with the JEC, MGCC, 750MC, SUNBAC, BARC and sometimes even AMOC, so every year its a complete surprise as to where and when we race. Might well be at Combe, who knows
Old 21 Oct 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1130872)   #8
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think those two chicanes [the esses and bobbies] have been there around 7yrs [ish]they also put another in called BY BROOK in between bobbies and camp as the superbikes where touching 160mph at the braking point, hope they never use it for cars its a real bus stop!
Old 21 Oct 2004, 17:06 (Ref:1130904)   #9
Lucylu
Rookie

Dont worry that chicane was only a temp measure for the bikes to slow them down!! they would of been damn fast without it!
Old 7 Nov 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1146955)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn chicanes sanitized the circuit in my opinion.

Old Paddock wasn't a boy's corner before!! (inside two wheels on the grass!!!! FLAAAAAT)

Rob.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 23:54 (Ref:1147092)   #11
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a great circuit with one of the best corners in the UK. The only problem is noise limits - everywhere else our car is fine (under 108dB) but at CC we always have major problems even though we fit a huge silencer.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1147457)   #12
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kickstart
It is a great circuit with one of the best corners in the UK. The only problem is noise limits - everywhere else our car is fine (under 108dB) but at CC we always have major problems even though we fit a huge silencer.
What car is this?
Old 15 Nov 2004, 22:21 (Ref:1154547)   #13
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
Paul V, It is a Formula Renault. Noise limits are rather strange things as I suspect that the measurment of noise has a great deal to do with frequencies rather than simply dB. I have stood behind an F3 car being noise tested which seemed to me to be much louder than my car but according to the noise meter this was wrong.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 00:16 (Ref:1154612)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wish we went there - I love the track - suits me really well - fast corners & chicanes.

will Vee ever go?
Old 16 Nov 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1154645)   #15
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
I wish we went there - I love the track - suits me really well - fast corners & chicanes.

will Vee ever go?
It wasn't too bad, although every time we went there the organisers made you feel as though you weren't that welcome. Just wanted the entry fee and then try and chuck you out for noise infractions!!!! Much prefer Thruxton
Old 16 Nov 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1155227)   #16
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Yes noise at combe is a big problem its those flaming idiots in a village called yatton keynell seem to be the problem they'll complain about anything that combe does,which has started again, this time winging about the brit gt's! NIGHTMARE!
Old 16 Nov 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1155283)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam, 750MC have no intention of going to Combe as I understand it.
Old 16 Nov 2004, 21:55 (Ref:1155438)   #18
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
Reminds of the story told to me by one of the circuit staff at Goodwood: They had a local complain to the council about loud engine noise coming from the circuit. Rather amusingly the circuit was not operating that day and the noise came from the local A road traffic.
Old 17 Nov 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1155965)   #19
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Thats a shame about the 750mc not going to combe can remember them there years ago it was good racing then,but did get the feeling howard strawford was not keen,if i recall it was something to do with grid sizes at that time.Even though things are a little different these days
Old 17 Nov 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1155983)   #20
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Coombe offer the complaining residents some free tickets (or a season pass) .... I have heard other circuits doing this and amazingly the complaining stops!
Old 17 Nov 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1155995)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its a great circuit and I love going there but I suffer the noise problems as well. curiously this is the only track (inc Goodwood) where I have failed. Fortunately it was a testing day and the times I have raced there have been ok. I will be there again no doubt for the Top Hat and Cloth Cap (with extra silencer). However I did get food poisoning from CC a few years ago which put me in hospital for 3 days so I am quite circumspect about what I eat there!
Old 17 Nov 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1156025)   #22
Emma B
Rookie

Emma B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironically, most of the objectors are people who moved into the area allegedly unaware that the circuit was there??!!.

Unfortunately, the circuit has encountered lots of problems on the noise front, just look at last week's MN and you will see that there is a Noise Nuisance Order being served on the circuit following some problems with this year's British GT's.

Mr Strawford has asked for letters of support. If you would like to write to support, then please contact:

Bob Marshall, Chief Executive
North Wiltshire District Council
Monkton Park, Chippenham
Wilts, SN15 1ER

Simon - please be assured that there is a new catering contractor at the circuit now, and the food is about 100 times better !! - go on, give it another go !
Old 17 Nov 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1156037)   #23
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If most of the complainers are "new residents" then North Wiltshire District Council are to blame themselves for failing to disclose the proximity of the circuit and potential noise when the local searches are carried out!

I will willing write to Mr Marshall and offer my support to the circuit and suggest they review there own procedures!

I have previously read of a case where a dog kennel owner took the case to the EU after the local council tried to close it on noise ground and he won as the EU ruled he was entitled as a human right to run a legitimate buisness and earn a living.

Having a house near a circuit would be a bonus for me
Old 17 Nov 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1156038)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
pleased to hear it - I now have the veggie option at all circuits as a result!!
I live close to Thruxton and we have the same problem
however I do think that the meters your scruts use are extra sensitive!
my new car was tested at Silverstone at the WHT (first time I have ever been tested there) and I fear I am going to have to wear one of those cans to get below 105 at your track
Old 17 Nov 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1156040)   #25
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
According to a chap who moved to the area he said the searches at the time only stated the circuit was in use for just ten meetings a year,he was then told he was having a laugh,was also told if he did not like it to pack his bags b****R off back to where he'd combe [sorry] from!
letters in the post emma