Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2634293)   #801
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope, there were regulations this year regarding the tyre compound....
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:20 (Ref:2634300)   #802
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what the Waldens were busted for in qualifying. The wrong tyre compound.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2634302)   #803
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they use a non-marked set?
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2634317)   #804
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a few things.

Had an interesting day listening to the local radio station in Bathurst as the hype of the race begins to die down. 2BS was speaking to the mayor who suggested that James O'Brien is extremely keen to allow more EXOTIC makes and models into the event. Now, in terms of exotic machinery, are we talking about allowing GT Championship-styled cars to enter the event, or still production-based vehicles such as the Shelby Mustang?
How would the teams and drivers who have supported the event for the past 2/3/4 years feel about running with GT Cars (if this is the case)? Would there be less incentive for them (especially Class A/B cars from this years event) to enter knowing that they would not be racing for outright victory?

Later on this afternoon, local racer Matt Windsor was asked if he would be going for three class wins in a row in 2011. His answer was something along the lines of "if they allow those quicker cars in there will be a safety issue with the speed difference - we'll have to wait and see..."

Also, will the Australian Manufacturer's Championship run the same class structure for the remainder of the year?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 16 Feb 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2634319)   #805
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Did they use a non-marked set?
Apparently Dunlop fitted the wrong compound tyres and Waldons didnt check them and used them in Qual.
They were close to being excluded from the event until Dunlop put there hand up and admitted the mistake...........apparently

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 16 Feb 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2634324)   #806
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
Just a few things.

Had an interesting day listening to the local radio station in Bathurst as the hype of the race begins to die down. 2BS was speaking to the mayor who suggested that James O'Brien is extremely keen to allow more EXOTIC makes and models into the event. Now, in terms of exotic machinery, are we talking about allowing GT Championship-styled cars to enter the event, or still production-based vehicles such as the Shelby Mustang?
How would the teams and drivers who have supported the event for the past 2/3/4 years feel about running with GT Cars (if this is the case)? Would there be less incentive for them (especially Class A/B cars from this years event) to enter knowing that they would not be racing for outright victory?

Later on this afternoon, local racer Matt Windsor was asked if he would be going for three class wins in a row in 2011. His answer was something along the lines of "if they allow those quicker cars in there will be a safety issue with the speed difference - we'll have to wait and see..."

Also, will the Australian Manufacturer's Championship run the same class structure for the remainder of the year?
I am against the exotics being allowed into the event.
I think there are a few cars that should be allowed, M3, C63 AMG, R35 ? and Cayman S ?

Old 16 Feb 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2634331)   #807
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
I think there are a few cars that should be allowed, M3, C63 AMG, R35 ? and Cayman S ?
Agreed. Sunday showed that the event in its current format is, and can be, very successful. 'Exotics' such as the Shelby Mustang in proper-production form is great for the event.
Maybe the cars which you have mentioned above is what James O'Brien was referring to.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 16 Feb 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2634332)   #808
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you RotorFan, Dean Herridge had nowhere to go, the clip on the forum does not show the whole incident. John Bowe & Herridge were involved in a great battle and He was right on Bowe's bumper as he rounded the corner, i couldn't see any yellow flags. Even Barton Mawer said if Dean Herridge could not miss that accident no one could have.

I tell you what, I was impressed by the pace of the Hunter STI this year, especially in the wet. Barton is a talented driver.

I was talking to some of the Pro duct boys, and they reckon the Peter Hill car is repairable.

In terms of allowing additional cars, i believe they are probably referring to cars around the $150,000 mark, ie M3 & R35.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2634345)   #809
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Regarding the tree - that was unbelievable to watch as it unfolded. My highlight was the commentators joking that Inky Tulloch had jumped in the recovery truck and was racing the wrong way up conrod straight. That was hilarious. They had alot of fun with the tree incident. Some of the best commentating I've experienced, throughout the whole race in fact. Especially that one bloke whos name I can never remember - the slightly larger carriage gentleman.
As I was the only fat bloke on the commentary team I am going to go out on an egocentric limb and suggest you are talking about yours truly. Your turn of phrase 'the slightly larger carriage gentleman', is quite possibly the most brilliant thing I have ever read and for that I thank you!

Many many many thanks for your positive comments about the call. The pre-race brief was to go in, be ourselves, and have fun with it. I call motorsport because it is the best job in the world and I'm passionate about it. I like to think that if i'm having fun, the people listening are - so your feedback is appreciated and it's nice to know our mega team was on the ball somewhat.

As for the on-screen stuff of the studio, My apologies. Truly the exception to the rule 'better to be seen than not heard'.

If it's not me you're talking about then I will cower down in embarassment and admit my bad, but I'll still say thanks on behalf of Charile Croucher, Dave Conole and the legendary Grant Boyden (none of whom are of a 'lager carriage') for everyone's comments and feedback during the race. We were thrilled with the response and it was a huge laugh to go through some of the emails and stuff on the twitter account during the race.

I was particularly thrilled that we are apparantly big in Detroit, San Fransisco, Ontario Canada and, of all places, Slovenia.

We had a huge amount of fun during the race and indeed the weekend. I had to turn my mike off to laugh at some of the stuff boydo got up to in pit lane, and I think we convinced plenty of people that the Alfa did actually have a coffee machine in it's glovebox. It's cars and teams like that which allow this race to tell so many great stories.

Croucher's comment that Paul Morris' middle finger salute was the reason Anthony Robson put the Hankook evo in the sand a lap later was hillarious and I'm sorry, but because there was no one hurt, there was no way you couldn't laugh at the situation with the tree.

There were so many motorsport commentary firsts said during that period!

Apparantly 21,000 people tuned in at some stage during the day. That is excellent given we only had a week to promote it. I don't think there is any question that it will return in 2011 so imagine what we can do with a full years worth of promotion.

I'd also like to add my thoughts about just how awesome that race was. I've never experienced anything like it in my life. I wish more people would take the time to come and see what it has to offer because the quality and diversity of this kind of motorsport amazing before they even turn a lap at Bathurst. The track just adds another 100% of brilliance on top to make it so memorable.

Tip of the hat to a couple of people. I thought David Wall drove his heart out at the end of that race and you could see the disappointment on his face after it yet he still had the grace to laugh along with Paul Morris' comments in the press conference and I, for one, hope that team returns.

John Bowe was all class and his comments about manufacturers getting behind the event are so valid. I hope his comments carry weight amongst the industry and can help grow it. Certainly a vote of confidence in the race.

Seto and Crompton were brilliant. We all know that the event needs some 'names' to bring it attention as it grows and whilst they filled that role perfectly, they were brilliant on the track. Seto's qualifying lap was sensational. Oh so close..

There are so many great stories. The R8 Sportwagon's drive was brilliant and allowed us the indulgance of talking up the V8 v Evo battle. The Alfa's amazing economy and preservance. Team Bathurst's second class win in a row. The crushing disappointment on Eric Bana's face after the shunt. You can't believe he doesn't take his racing seriously when you see that.

Then there was the first ever father-daughter team to start the race in Lauren & Mick Gray, the McLeod McLeod & McLeod Astra winning it's class and WBR redeeming themselves - despite the dramas towards the end that cost them a top five - after losing three cars within three hours in '09.

And there was so much more.

Here's to 2011.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2634368)   #810
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congratulations Richard, just sorry I didn't get up at 5 our time to watch the start.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2634632)   #811
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently Dunlop fitted the wrong compound tyres and Waldons didnt check them and used them in Qual.
They were close to being excluded from the event until Dunlop put there hand up and admitted the mistake...........apparently
Will get those pics to you soon too.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 22:23 (Ref:2634651)   #812
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Even the above mentioned cars may be too fast.......where's the benefit if they render the current crop of cars uncompetitive and increase costs? Everybody is raving about this years event......don't try to fix what isn't broken.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2634653)   #813
Wazm
Rookie

Wazm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Regarding this crash - I'd like to point out that according to the cameras, there was no yellow flag waved at all prior to the stationary car being hit. I was watching it as it happened, along with the replays - the yellow flag appeared to only be waved AFTER the crash, not before.
I was the sector marshal at the scene and I can assure you that the yellow flags at point 6 were being waved as soon as the first car hit the wall and the lights were also turned on so there really can't be any excuse.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2634663)   #814
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and Herridge told stewards that he saw the waved yellows at flag points 5, 5.2 and 6 and the flashing lights but 'didn't think the incident was there' and was in pursuit of Bowe so did not slow.

So to all the muppets sending emails to the organisers criticising the marshals...bang it.

Questions need to be asked as to why there haven't been penalties applied to the offending drivers.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2634684)   #815
Wazm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
...and Herridge told stewards that he saw the waved yellows at flag points 5, 5.2 and 6 and the flashing lights but 'didn't think the incident was there' and was in pursuit of Bowe so did not slow.

So to all the muppets sending emails to the organisers criticising the marshals...bang it.

Questions need to be asked as to why there haven't been penalties applied to the offending drivers.
I agree. Drivers are so intent on racing that they don't worry about safety till they come a cropper. Then they try to blame everyone else.

One thing I believe should be changed is the safety car procedure. I called for the safety car a long time before the boards and flags came out. It seems that race control won't deploy the boards till the know where the lead car is and is getting close to the main straight. That, at Mt Panorama, can take quite a while. Once the decision to deploy is made they should call for the boards and flags immediately. Once a driver can see the safety car is about to come out they will hopefully slow down. It means that the guy they are chasing they are going to catch and the guy chasing them is going to catch them as well once the train is formed so why put everyone's safety in jeopardy!

That's my thoughts any how
Old 16 Feb 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2634690)   #816
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race control didnt have a handle on the leader when the #1 car passed the #38 car in the pitlane, and tried to convince Mr Heaphy that they should pass the Safety Car as they were now lapped traffic

I am surprised Mr Herridge ignored the lights/flags.. and that he admitted it

What is the penalty structure for these offences, if proven?

Mr Bowe must have been travelling just as quickly though, legendary skill & daring saved his winning car from a wreck too!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Feb 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2634697)   #817
James69181
Rookie

James69181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst crash

Herridge saw 1 yellow flag and the lights, which at drivers briefing the instruction was that there may be a kangaroo or a slow car ahead. He did NOT admit to not slowing , in fact the opposite. His pit told him there was a car across the track but he did not quite catch where and thought it was at the dipper. Race control should have deployed the SC boards immediately when the flaggies told them to and not had a discussion about it. Herridge was fined $2000 for doing the same speed as Bowe !!
Old 17 Feb 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2634713)   #818
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James69181 View Post
Herridge saw 1 yellow flag and the lights, which at drivers briefing the instruction was that there may be a kangaroo or a slow car ahead. He did NOT admit to not slowing , in fact the opposite. His pit told him there was a car across the track but he did not quite catch where and thought it was at the dipper.
That's exactly what Herridge told me too, and that he didn't have time to react after Bowe jinked out of the way.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 00:49 (Ref:2634730)   #819
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazm View Post
I agree. Drivers are so intent on racing that they don't worry about safety till they come a cropper. Then they try to blame everyone else.

One thing I believe should be changed is the safety car procedure. I called for the safety car a long time before the boards and flags came out. It seems that race control won't deploy the boards till the know where the lead car is and is getting close to the main straight. That, at Mt Panorama, can take quite a while. Once the decision to deploy is made they should call for the boards and flags immediately. Once a driver can see the safety car is about to come out they will hopefully slow down. It means that the guy they are chasing they are going to catch and the guy chasing them is going to catch them as well once the train is formed so why put everyone's safety in jeopardy!

That's my thoughts any how
You could hear the agitation in your voice when reporting the Hill Evo was stricken on racing line and you asking for the safety car. With TV available to race control it should have been granted a lot faster. I made notes that cars 50,20 and 1 were the cars you called for not slowing after double yellows and lights displayed. Race control confirmed those cars with you during the resultant safety car period and thoroughly ran over how and when flags, boards and signals were activated. RC were also effusive in congratulating the affected flag marshals for a job well done. Reviews after showed 14 cars not obeying the signals, why no penalties applied during or post-race?

To be fair though, to give flag marshals the regulatory ability to call safety car is fraught with danger. Some would overdo it with trivial issues and we would see little racing...

But I don't know what the answer is when drivers refuse to react to a safety issue despite all warnings available to them.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2634732)   #820
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by James69181 View Post
Herridge saw 1 yellow flag and the lights, which at drivers briefing the instruction was that there may be a kangaroo or a slow car ahead. He did NOT admit to not slowing , in fact the opposite. His pit told him there was a car across the track but he did not quite catch where and thought it was at the dipper. Race control should have deployed the SC boards immediately when the flaggies told them to and not had a discussion about it. Herridge was fined $2000 for doing the same speed as Bowe !!
A contradiction in semantics. He didn't admit to NOT slowing, but he was fined for doing the same speed as Bowe???

Bowe was called for disobeying the flags and lights, but as yet no penalty. Herridge did same and buried himself a metre up Peter Hills rear.

I guess that's why even the most inactive stewards process couldn't get that part wrong.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2634750)   #821
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont think anyone should take from this that there is a witch hunt for Mr Herridge. Its important to understand what happened, to see if it cant happen again.

To me its kinda like the accident with Mr Pither & Mr Weel a couple of years ago in the B1000, it was unsighted, there were flags, the first car was stricken and unable to move under its own steam, and in both cases the cars were very badly damaged, fortunately without life threatening injury

I am not sure how much of the event Race Control may have been able to see. The internet stream showed a lot of the crash AFTER the event, but did not show the lead up. If this is what RC has to work with, its logical that they did not have the information in front of them to make a call. But that's what experience & intuition is supposed to control too

I thought there were a couple of occassions where the Safety Car was slow in coming out, maybe that was because we saw the action live and uninterrupted as opposed to commercially driven cut n shut, but it was like the Lamborghini sat for longer than it might in a couple of instances.

Is there any reference to these charges on the CAMS website, I couldnt find it, but its not the most user friendly of places to play!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Feb 2010, 02:39 (Ref:2634753)   #822
JeffDOZ
Rookie

JeffDOZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Richard: I got a notice of your live feed early in the morning and tuned in, and then promptly sent it to all my race buddies in the Us andthen stayed up most of the night watching. In 2011 you can expect many more to tune in, ready your server so it wont crash when so many 'drop in' to watch. This coverage alone has these guys now asking for a rule book. You and your team did a fabulous job commentating, and enjoying the commentry is the best step to having a good one.

To all the volunteers (flag marchals etc) on this forum, we racers who have had our runs around the world really appreciate all the effort you put in and that you stand in the rain, fog, hot days etc, we'd be nothing without you; no events, no fun, or even tears at times.

Jeff Denmeade
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:01 (Ref:2634758)   #823
Wazm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
To be fair though, to give flag marshals the regulatory ability to call safety car is fraught with danger. Some would overdo it with trivial issues and we would see little racing...
I agree that flag marshals shouldn't be calling for a safety car but I was the sector marshal and as such it is part of my brief if I believe it necessary, which I did. I wasn't on the flag loop, I was on the race control radio channel.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:08 (Ref:2634759)   #824
Wazm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I am not sure how much of the event Race Control may have been able to see. The internet stream showed a lot of the crash AFTER the event, but did not show the lead up. If this is what RC has to work with, its logical that they did not have the information in front of them to make a call. But that's what experience & intuition is supposed to control too
There were no where near the number of cameras that the 1000 has and I am fairly sure there wasn't one in that area pointing up the hill. A Sector Marshal is supposed to be the eyes and ears for race control in exactly this scenario where they can't see the actual situation.

This wasn't the only occasion on the day, where the safety car took too long to come out. I think the entire safety car situation needs to be looked at so that drivers know asap that the intention is to deploy.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:13 (Ref:2634762)   #825
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a different note, has their been much interest in teams to enter the 6 hour Production Race at Eastern Creek this year?