Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 11 Nov 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2984447)   #751
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone worrying about Toyota's long-term future need only look at the signing of Wurz to be reassured.

Why on earth would he leave as one of the better drivers in what is probably the fastest team, for only one year? I just can't imagine him doing that. He always sounds like an ambitious guy in his interviews. I really believe Wurz would only leave Peugeot to join Toyota if he firmly believed he had a chance of winning with them whilst enjoying the challenge. Someone at Toyota must have done an excellent job at convincing him, too.

Toyota's low-key first year must surely stem from the lessons learned from their gung-ho F1 programme.

In 2014 I really believe we'll see at least four manafacturers on the grid.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2984450)   #752
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really hope Dome comes back to Le Mans, the S102 is one of my favourite LMP cars of all time.

Lots of good news for international sports car racing this year.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2984452)   #753
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Speaking of Dome...

Mariantic also posted that Taki Inoue is also somewhat involved, he's been tweeting about updating the S102 apparently. Rumor of a Toyota RV8KLM engine, with the updates, the Big Honking Fin and the Big Honking Holes.

I say DO IT! But will Dome allow it?
It was Japanese Samurai who quoted Taki Inoue.
Also i think this has more to do in the Dome thread
Old 13 Nov 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2985427)   #754
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
No idea if it has been mentioned before but according to the German Eurosport guys (who are well informed due to Toyota being located in Cologne), the LMP1 is going to be called Toyota P12.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2985429)   #755
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Toyota P12.
That's hardly the most iconic name, but oh well. It's just a name.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2985441)   #756
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No idea if it has been mentioned before but according to the German Eurosport guys (who are well informed due to Toyota being located in Cologne), the LMP1 is going to be called Toyota P12.
"P"rototype 20"12"?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2985442)   #757
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Too many 'PXs'.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2985543)   #758
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Nice info cheers. I doubt a year later they will adopt a P13 moniker.

Car names are never iconic sounding until they gain results to form a reputation.

There's nothing iconic about GT40 or 917 on paper until you factor in their legacy.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2985706)   #759
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Any more news about engine specifics?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2985752)   #760
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
The "P12" is the internal name, not the official name. The official name is yet to be announced.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2985754)   #761
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
There's nothing iconic about GT40 or 917 on paper until you factor in their legacy.
Very good point.

Toyota were unlikely to name it the Le Mans Whopper Shark Face. Can't think of a single Le Mans car that's iconic that isn't a numbered and/or lettered model.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2985768)   #762
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Any more news about engine specifics?
3.4 liter normally aspirated V8.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2985858)   #763
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Assuming it's a brand new unit, more than just an updated SuperGT engine? With the hybrid being like that of the Supra HV-R.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2985935)   #764
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Toyota were unlikely to name it the Le Mans Whopper Shark Face.
Frankly, whatever it's dubbed will now be rendered totally underwhelming
Old 14 Nov 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2985937)   #765
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Assuming it's a brand new unit, more than just an updated SuperGT engine? With the hybrid being like that of the Supra HV-R.
There's no reason to believe it's nothing more than a further iteration of the RV8KLM V8 used by Rebellion this year.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2985941)   #766
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
There's something to that, but that's not all it takes. P12 (which apparently won't even be the actual marketing name) is just so generic. At least stuff like 917, R10, 905/908, XJR-x and so forth fit within a corporate naming system. Something like the TS010 does not have much of a legacy, but it's still a pretty neat name with the reference to TS and such.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2986345)   #767
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Must be a good engine then. I figured it'd be a new model as to work in conjunction with the hybrid system. Just a guess.
Old 14 Nov 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2986353)   #768
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
There's no reason to believe it's nothing more than a further iteration of the RV8KLM V8 used by Rebellion this year.
hmmm......I'm thinking the current Toyota LMP1 engine will be paid more attention than ever before......I think this years Rebellion spec engine is a conventional port-fuelled engine......in which case even the un-informed people at Toyota will know that fitting a direct injection conversion from Bosch motorsports (off the shelf) will save circa 5% fuel......so that will mean new cylinder heads and new pistons to start with, therefore new cams too for revised timing........and the new pistons will probably require a re-visit to the con-rod and crank design for balance and torsional vibration reasons........5% fuel save cannot be sniffed at for a factory effort.

but if the engine is already fitted with direct injection than I am talking out of my backside!!!.......but I doubt it, as I think the current engine is just a warmed over Japanese F3000 thingy, single seater spec engine ........which was actually a warmed over IRL engine that used to run on ethanol!
Old 14 Nov 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2986360)   #769
TF110
Veteran

United States
Kinda amazing how long this engine has been in use if you think about it. From its variations in F-Nippon, SuperGT, LeMans etc.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2986872)   #770
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just asked the question to someone on the inside and he declined to comment for confidentiality reasons and said we will see next year......which I think therein lies the answer......my money and hunch says TMG are performing a full re-design on the current LMP1 engine........admittedley this may be tricky to prove as the injectors will be hidden in the trumpets or in the V, but I'm sure the eagle eyed photographers will get their long lenses on the case once the right opportunity arrises!.......lets wait and see.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2986877)   #771
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
but I'm sure the eagle eyed photographers will get their long lenses on the case once the right opportunity arrises!.......lets wait and see.
The first time the car gets crashed by one K. Nakajima, probably. Sorry, I'm being unfair.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2987123)   #772
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
The first time the car gets crashed by one K. Nakajima, probably. Sorry, I'm being unfair.
Hopefully racing in Super GT is doing him some good.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2987173)   #773
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I just asked the question to someone on the inside and he declined to comment for confidentiality reasons and said we will see next year......which I think therein lies the answer......my money and hunch says TMG are performing a full re-design on the current LMP1 engine........admittedley this may be tricky to prove as the injectors will be hidden in the trumpets or in the V, but I'm sure the eagle eyed photographers will get their long lenses on the case once the right opportunity arrises!.......lets wait and see.
I guess this wouldn't surprise me, but my point is, it will still be 8 cylinders arranged in a 'V' and 3.4 liters, normally aspirated. That's what sources have described.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2987937)   #774
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
I guess this wouldn't surprise me, but my point is, it will still be 8 cylinders arranged in a 'V' and 3.4 liters, normally aspirated. That's what sources have described.
yup, I'm going along with that too.......although I'm also interested to hear what hybrid system they will use.........I heve reason to believe its an axial flux electrical motor-generator from a UK company called Evo Electric, which will be mounted in the bell housing.........I think their battery solution will be quite jazzy, probably lithium-polymer which is the fashion in F1 and electric bike racing as its stupidly compact........ oohhh excitement!!!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2988026)   #775
TF110
Veteran

United States
Pascal Vasselon said Toyota Mo. Co. in Japan was in charge of that. But also said Toyota has furthered the hybrid the Supra HVR used, so it may be something along those lines.