Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jul 2007, 17:05 (Ref:1959868)   #276
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is going from the bizarre to the ridiculous. What reasonable person would send their wife to a local copyshop with 700 pages of confidential information obtained in shady circumstances. What was Mike Coughlan thinking of.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1959907)   #277
lost_button
Rookie

lost_button should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes you wonder if indeed any of the F2007 tech spec filtered into the development of the Mac. Never say never... this could all be interesting!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 18:35 (Ref:1959960)   #278
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A couple of other thoughts.

o For this to stick, Ferrari will need to prove that they have been harmed in which case they would be awarded damages. Proving that they have been harmed is extremely difficult... but if they did, the award against Mike Coughlan could be tens of millions of dollars. Certainly too much for an individual to manage.

o Could the purpose of this UK case be to gain information which could be used in the Italian case against Stepney ? It would certainly be an easier way of obtaining information rather than through cross-country orders and sopenas.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1959972)   #279
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that I have thought of, is that I keep seeing people mention stealing Ferrari's IP and putting it into the development of so and so's car. If say McLaren was in possesion of some Ferrari plans or drawings, they could use that to their advantage without any part being measurablly the same on their car. All they would have had to do it take the information and understand what Ferrari is trying to acheive with it. After doing so, they could easily adapt angles and such from what they have learned to parts of their design to acheieve similar results. So there may not be any measurable "stolen" parts on the McLarens, while the stolen information may still have effected their performance greatly.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1959983)   #280
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that I have thought of, is that I keep seeing people mention stealing Ferrari's IP and putting it into the development of so and so's car. If say McLaren was in possesion of some Ferrari plans or drawings, they could use that to their advantage without any part being measurablly the same on their car. All they would have had to do it take the information and understand what Ferrari is trying to acheive with it. After doing so, they could easily adapt angles and such from what they have learned to parts of their design to acheieve similar results. So there may not be any measurable "stolen" parts on the McLarens, while the stolen information may still have effected their performance greatly.
You're absolutely right. The interesting thing in all of this will be determining how many people in McLaren had sight of those documents and when. If its discovered that senior executives of McLaren had seen them... McLaren could be disqualified from the 2007 championship under the sporting code.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1960009)   #281
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that the copy shop incident took place on the 2nd or 3rd of May, makes it tougher for Coughlan and McLaren. Will be interesting if Ferrari get to see his McLaren workstation.

Hope he was working on next years car, which would make McLarens case slightly easier. Ferrari seem not to be going after Neale, just yet.

One of the big things about the Ferrari, is the layout and weight distribution which are alot different to their rivals. Hard to copy, but hard to say it was copied.

In December 1995, Team Toyota Europe lost all their WRC points and got banned for the following 12 months because of dodgy turbos. In 1984 Tyrrell got banned for the last three races and lost all points.

If he was working on this year's car they could get hammered by the FIA.

Last edited by TWRv12; 10 Jul 2007 at 19:33.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1960017)   #282
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
If he was working on this year's car they could get hammered by the FIA.
Max Mosley said that if one team had confidential information about another team it would put the first team in serious situation regarding the sporting code. I read that to be irrespective of what that information was i.e. related to this year's or last year's car. If senior people in McLaren knew this back in May, they have big problems. I'm would be fairly sure that Ron Dennis has been unaware of this as it completely violates the fabric of his character.

Look at all of us on this ! Gossiping like old biddies.... and we wonder why the Sun's Britain's largest selling newspaper
Old 10 Jul 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1960103)   #283
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
The fact that the copy shop incident took place on the 2nd or 3rd of May, makes it tougher for Coughlan and McLaren. Will be interesting if Ferrari get to see his McLaren workstation.

I've read Coughlan and Stepney meet and were seen having a meal together in Spain prior to the Circuit de Catalunya test. That lasted 4 days, 30th April-3rd May although it was only planned for 3 days (until the 2nd May).

That might account for how Coughlan received the data on the 30th and the wife visiting the copyshop on the 3rd......
Old 10 Jul 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1960188)   #284
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently Trudy Coughlan is no stranger to photocopiers.I wonder if she left some feedback just recently.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=32094
Old 10 Jul 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1960261)   #285
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
you couldnt make it up, could you
Old 10 Jul 2007, 23:44 (Ref:1960268)   #286
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently the name of the photocopying shop is 'Luigi's' and their moto is 'It's a fair copy'.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1960280)   #287
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wow! Ferrari has gone to the extreme to smear Stepney, going as far as to post a thank you to a photocopier supplier using the name Trudy Coughlan!! Clever lads to make it look like she was covering her tracks by using "Tyrell."

The smallest details are covered in their vast, over-arching consipiracy to make Stepney look bad!

Why, they could have simply sued him, or held him to his non-compete, or given a bad reference or worse: told the World he supported Tony Blair and all of his policies....

I find ineptitude fascinating. It is amazing that Stepney could do what he did with Ferrari vis a vis making them WCC and then put on his very best Inspector Clousseau impersonation whilst shopping himself to Honda (apparently - and thank you Peter for the Clousseau analogy).
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 04:35 (Ref:1960332)   #288
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=32089

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

About the best bit of this thread so far!
Old 11 Jul 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1960487)   #289
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think James Bond needs to worry about his job. Master spies, these two are not.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1960543)   #290
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
So, things have taken another turn:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60706
I'll now stand back and wait for the conspiracy theorists explain this one...
Old 11 Jul 2007, 10:52 (Ref:1960549)   #291
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's to explain? Ferrari agreed not to get him in an Italian court, for a criminal case, while Coughlan will fully cooperate.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1960571)   #292
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari will want to pursue any action in the Italian courts if possible, particularily a court close to the factory.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1960592)   #293
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Ferrari will want to pursue any action in the Italian courts if possible, particularily a court close to the factory.
Actually, they might not. The English courts are 5-10 times faster in civil actions.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1960664)   #294
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=32089

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

About the best bit of this thread so far!
I know what was missing from this scandal... some sex. Thanks for introducing it Peter, let's hope there's more from here on in.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1960686)   #295
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Yes but there would be no skullduggery or bias in the High Court.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1960702)   #296
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can't be suggesting that Ferrari owns the judges surely.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1960704)   #297
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
It's Italy, you must know that anything is posible in Italy.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1960731)   #298
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ye olde divide any conquer routine. Looks like Couglan may escape the Italian criminal trial, at the expense of....
Old 11 Jul 2007, 14:40 (Ref:1960732)   #299
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
It's Italy, you must know that anything is posible in Italy.

Who knows, perhaps even justice?

Bias in the Italian court? Silliness. I could just as easily (and just as stupidly) say there will be bias in the English court if its tried there.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1960752)   #300
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The English Court found in favour of Colonel Gadaffi's son against the Telegraph. The English legal system earns this country an absolute fortune money because it is fair, unbiased and comparatively speedy. The Italian Court system is clogged and many Italians prefer arbitration as a result, but an arbitrator cannot grant a search order.