Old 1 Dec 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2079389)   #1
Paramedic_Chris
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Paramedic_Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paramedic new to motorsport

Hello all,

This may seem like a silly question, but I hope someone here can help me.

I have recently registered with the MSA as a Paramedic. I was hoping to get a bit more information from them than I did. I have the 'Red Book', but as you know, that only covers the technicalities of what rescue units must carry etc.

What I'm not to sure of is how I actually get involved with covering an event? Who should I speak to?

I live in Buckinghamshire, but I'm willing to travel a resonable distance if I have to.

I am also interested in hearing if any other Paramedics on this board have any 'handy hints' for someone new to motorsport.

Thanks in advance guys!

Chris
Old 1 Dec 2007, 16:27 (Ref:2079392)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Chris, im sure Jim W and a few others here will be able to point you in the right direction
Old 1 Dec 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2079418)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Chris,

My brother does exactly what you do and covers most events in the midlands, cars and bikes.

He isn't on here but I will see if I can get him to come onto 10ths and have a chat.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2079421)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome Chris. I'll PM you a few observations.

Jim
Old 1 Dec 2007, 19:43 (Ref:2079490)   #5
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and if you are a trauma junkie then you may want to play with some bike racing
Old 2 Dec 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2079954)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic_Chris

I am also interested in hearing if any other Paramedics on this board have any 'handy hints' for someone new to motorsport.

Chris
Yeah! Don't tell them you're a Paramedic!
Old 2 Dec 2007, 22:55 (Ref:2080156)   #7
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss
and if you are a trauma junkie then you may want to play with some bike racing
+ 1 on that statement.

Some of the most interesting injuries I've seen has been at bike races over the years. I'm not a medic but assisted a local medical team down here in a tech support role as well as driving FIV's on occasion.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:36 (Ref:2090747)   #8
andy9391
Rookie

andy9391 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might put some backs up, but wouldnt it of been an idea for you to have gone to some race meetings (not just the big one's) but some little clubby racing, and see if you liked it or not before getting your MSA licence,this is a long standing problem, to gain a rescue licence it can take up to 2 years but to get either a doctor or paramedic licence you just need to be registered with the appropriate council (GMC,HPC) and not have any on track experiance ??
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2090759)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'new to motorsport' doesnt necessarily mean he's been to none. I know some who've been going marshalling for a year and still consider themselves to be new to it.

Anyway, welcome Chris and could you let me in on whatever you find out as I have a friend who is training to become a paramedic and is interested in motor racing, and no Andy he hasn't yet been to any race meetings but intends to start next year with the marshals training day at Mallory, so i am keen to encourage him.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:10 (Ref:2090765)   #10
andy9391
Rookie

andy9391 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i welcome him to, but things need to change with the the MSA as to the way medical personal get there licences
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2090773)   #11
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
andy9391 why do you see this as a problem? Perhaps if you knew how hard it is to get doctors and Paramedics into motorsport you would not make a comment like "things need to change with the MSA as to the way medical personal get there licences"
I am more than happy to a new doctor or paramedic on a rescue unit with me. The first talk will be about safety, THERES. The rest follows during the day.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:27 (Ref:2090784)   #12
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
andy9391 if you knew how hard it is to get doctors or Paramedics into motorsport, I do not think you would make a statement like "things need to change with the (the) MSA as to the way medical personal get there licence."

I am more than happy to have a new doctor or Paramedic on the rescue unit with me. The first talk will be about safety THERES. The rest will follow.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2095851)   #13
resusman
Rookie

resusman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For rallies, try contacting the Clerk of the Course. Dates/venues on the british rally calendar website.

Some large circuits have a regular Medical Officer who arranges cover, or a paramedic as at Cadwell. See racesafe & their link to race medicine.

As a healthcare professional, the trauma is no problem, its the safety & organisational aspects.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 08:49 (Ref:2096987)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Speak to BARC at Thruxton www.barc.net