Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Dec 2007, 13:45 (Ref:2094119)   #1
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car Insurance

I know this is a bit irrelevant in relation to the marshals forum, but thought this would be the best place to get a some advice - hope you don't mind.

Unfortunately my car met with a bit of an accident on Friday and is currently sitting outside my house looking a bit sorry for itself awaiting collection from my insurance company.

The car is nearly 6 years old therefore the market value will probably be about £2K which does lead me to believe that it will be classed as a write off as the damage would definitely be over £1K. (beam, bumper, hub, wheel and body work knackered).

What I was wondering is, if the car is a write off the insurance will give me the market value but I'm not sure if I should try and haggle this a bit. Will they try to give me a relatively poor offer to start with or is market value set in stone?

Also a bit concerned about the courtesy car as my policy says 'courtesy car while yours is being fixed' - does that mean I don't get a courtesy car if it's a write off as it won't be fixed?

Hope you all have a nice Christmas and Happy New Year. Can't wait to see you all again on the bank!
Old 23 Dec 2007, 14:02 (Ref:2094124)   #2
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start buying the local car mart books,look at what price they are selling cars of your age for. That will at least give you an idea of what price they should be offering.
Use the car mart etc as your guide. Unless you are very lucky you will have to haggle. I do not know of any one who has not had to haggle to get a decent price.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 14:58 (Ref:2094133)   #3
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i doubt if you will get a courtesy car,as no repairs will be done to your car.i work in the car industry,so dont be suprised if it takes a while for them to pay out.i have known for it to take three months,and more for the insurance companies to give the bodyshops the go ahead to repair a car.good luck anyway mate.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 15:05 (Ref:2094134)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Agree with flagwaver..and it was the advice I got when my car's survival was in the balance.
Get on to autotrader.co.uk and as many similar sites and try to find cars that match yours for age. Print as many as possible off to prove the (replacement) market value.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 15:24 (Ref:2094136)   #5
sland
Rookie

sland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually work in insurance myself, never accept an insurers first offer - it is in their interests to pay out as little as possible. I agree that you should do a little research to prove the value of your car (e.g. parkers auto trader e.t.c.).

With regards to a courtesy car you wont be entitled to one if it is declared written off however, they should give you one whilst it is being inspected before deciding what they are going to do.

Also if the car is written off and you agree on a settlement should you wish insurers will allow you to buy back the salvage at a nominal price.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 16:59 (Ref:2094148)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by shjo558
I know this is a bit irrelevant in relation to the marshals forum
Quite right, so I'll move it to Road Car.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 02:33 (Ref:2094289)   #7
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 quick pionts with this one based on personal experience. when my car was stolen earlier this year i tried to get a cuertesy car from my insurance but they refused. the reason was the garage were your car is being checked over or fixed give you the cuertesy car and not the insurance company so as my car had not been found i could not get one, i know this is diff from your situation but they may not give you a car unless you have yours in. second one is, always haggle, use autotrader to show the value of the car and always show them any receipts for work you have had done. my old 205 gti which was written was worth near 3k with all the work but the insurance would only offer book value of about £500. it took time but after showing them simalar cars of ebay and autotrader and showing them the receipts for all the work i had payed for they eventually stumped up nr £2800. so stick to your gunbs and use as much info as poss
Old 2 Jan 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2098123)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if he has'nt got any gunbs?--------------------------------
Old 6 Jan 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2100416)   #9
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gillian,
Sorry to hear about your accident.The main thing is that you,Ali and Ryan are all OK.See you at the 1st meeting of the year at Knockhill
Car Scrutineer
BMMC Member
Old 6 Jan 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2100734)   #10
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Dave,

Aly was fine when he crashed the car and he has now joined that exclusive "I managed to write my car off" club .

Quite pleased with myself because I nicked the road tax off the car before the "wrecker" took it away!

Never mind, getting our nice new one tomorrow so it's not all bad!

See you in a couple of months for the training day at Knockers.