Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 May 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2699179)   #26
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Problem with landlines (copper or glass fibre) is a man with a shovel (hand or hydraulic). Since 1977, I have lost count of the number of times the cabling has been replaced/repaired.

A wireless solution would be a better way to go. Technology is old hat, initial cost might be higher ('though digging trenches is not cheap) but whole life costs likely to be less.

Regards

Jim
Old 27 May 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2699184)   #27
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news, quite glad that it went to somebody other than the BARC or MSV. Nothing against either organisation (so please don't have a go at me! ), in fact I think they do a fantastic job with their various venues and operations, but it will provide a bit more competition to keep the aforementioned and Silverstone etc on their toes, which can only be good. Sounds like Adriot are taking a very sensible and realistic approach. It'll probably be a case of getting the place serviceable for September and then the real improvements can begin. Good news all round!
Old 27 May 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2699192)   #28
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B****r, apologies just realised I posted this in the Marshalls Forum, meant to put it in the Trackside section.
Old 27 May 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2699201)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill View Post
sorry, got to side with Woolley here.

been there, done that, experienced the better way.
LOL, she only posted that because I told her I was going to be a troll on that one. Memo to self: keep private jokes off the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
A wireless solution would be a better way to go.
PC on each post displaying live timing for the flaggies and an e-mail option for written reports...? Only half joking, actually, the first would be immensely helpful and the latter has merit.
Old 27 May 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2699251)   #30
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
PC on each post displaying live timing for the flaggies and an e-mail option for written reports...?
I suspect the Post Chief is busy enough without displaying live timing for the flaggies lol sorry, I will get my coat.
Old 27 May 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2699265)   #31
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
LOL, she only posted that because I told her I was going to be a troll on that one. Memo to self: keep private jokes off the forum.
I'm so glad I resisted the temptation to comment. Actually deleted a draft remark.

Quote:
PC on each post displaying live timing for the flaggies and an e-mail option for written reports...? Only half joking, actually, the first would be immensely helpful and the latter has merit.
Absolutely right but that would mean bring motorsport into the late 20th Century and stopping it being run as amateur night. Now you know that would never do! Besides all that would do is make plain that I cannot type or spell reliably.

Regards

Jim
Old 27 May 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2699279)   #32
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I cannot type or spell reliably.

No, that was correct http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reliably

Old 27 May 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2699297)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pah! All this modern comms stuff.....

I reckon things started going downhill when they abandoned morse code and semaphore.

With any luck there will be a pile of redundant SPECS cameras soon. Get those installed and you could have video and sector timing with automatic average speed readouts ..... instant fines for Yellow flag infringements ... and some of those nice spring loaded concrete block things the Dutch use to enforce No-Entry rules for people who ignore black flags and the like. Or if they Pit before the pit window is open.

Now THAT'S 21 century for you!
Old 27 May 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2699306)   #34
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Pah! All this modern comms stuff.....

Now THAT'S 21 century for you!
'21st century' as with that nice GP stuff that computerises the SC system so successfully that the lights go green even though the race is still under SC conditions
Old 27 May 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2699325)   #35
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that is quite feasible - I have the TSL-Timing site bookmarked on the iPhone, and they now include a 'Mobile Timing' option on their sessions - assuming you can get a connection, then Live timing on a small screen (or with the new iPad - a little larger screen) would work well [assuming of course, that TSL are running the timing for that event]
Old 27 May 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2699345)   #36
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm so glad I resisted the temptation to comment. Actually deleted a draft remark.
Sorry....the use of a from me might have helped! I was in a hurry!
Old 27 May 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2699354)   #37
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When they open the track again at least it will have nice 'tunnel' for.........................(couldn't find a mole!)
Old 27 May 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2699369)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Well it has four tunnels at the moment (Unless the Coppice Lodge one was filled in as part of the Gillett memorial works).

I wonder what will happen to the one just before the Esses at the moment when the revised Esses/Goddards layout is built. My understanding is that the long straight will be altered by being shortened to bring both Esses and Goddards back towards Coppice. Both of those look likely to need the tunnel there to be either lengthened or filled in.

The startline straight will be longer and we should be able to get a full start grid in a straight line. With any luck the unsuccessful Esses corner will be re-profiled.

Regards

Jim
Old 27 May 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2699383)   #39
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Build a bridge!!!
Old 27 May 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2699429)   #40
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DP has just been used as the live OB setting for the sports news on BBC East Midlands. It looks like we all expected it to - shocking.

On the plus side, however, the new leaseholders really do see to have taken an extremely pragmatic view of what's needed to get back up and running by the time they're due for inspection by the MSA (which I *think* they said was September 1st, but could have been August 1st - damned kids!).

On a marshalling-related note, the posts at the top of the circuit - 14 & 15 if memory serves - seem to be intact. Didn't get to see what's happened to the new tunnel though.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2699517)   #41
ss24355261
Racer

United Kingdom
mansfield
ss24355261 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post 14 McClains and Post 15 tunnel i belive.

Last edited by ss24355261; 27 May 2010 at 20:20.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2699528)   #42
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You could hand out PDA,s to post cheifs every morning to send in incident reports.....rather than send car around to collect.
Glad to see donny coming back, please please dont ever be tempted by the
F1 circus again......almost lost one of the best circuits in the UK...DOH
Old 27 May 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2699552)   #43
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar View Post
You could hand out PDA,s to post cheifs every morning to send in incident reports.....rather than send car around to collect.
Glad to see donny coming back, please please dont ever be tempted by the
F1 circus again......almost lost one of the best circuits in the UK...DOH
Don't get me started one that one Tony, you know we never write reports on the land line, it's all recorded to hard disc. Only time we write is witness statement for tribunal.
Old 27 May 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2699555)   #44
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Chris View Post
Cordless phones maybe? Just a thought.
Not after my experience of cordless phones at Rockingham - called in for 'phone check' in the morning and got catering...
Old 27 May 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2699559)   #45
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't need to be a PC for the live timing, just a UHF TV feed & a £100 lcd screen - that's what they have in the garages...
Old 27 May 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2699562)   #46
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Not after my experience of cordless phones at Rockingham - called in for 'phone check' in the morning and got catering...
They must know you well!
Old 27 May 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2699566)   #47
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't need to be a PC for the live timing, just a UHF TV feed & a £100 lcd screen - that's what they have in the garages...
Yeah, but you also need a signal, and electric out to all the boxes to do that. And £100 & 25 posts is not exactly loose change. I have to agree it would be brilliant, especially for blue flagging longer races with pit stops, but, I can't see it being a must have.
Old 27 May 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2699590)   #48
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
. . . On the plus side, however, the new leaseholders really do see to have taken an extremely pragmatic view of what's needed to get back up and running by the time they're due for inspection by the MSA (which I *think* they said was September 1st, but could have been August 1st - damned kids!).
. . .
August 1st, I believe.

Jim
Old 29 May 2010, 08:58 (Ref:2700281)   #49
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
hope they didnt forget the brown sauce when they delivered your breakfast to you on post......
Old 27 Jun 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2718982)   #50
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess what donington needs to fill the year is a short winter series of, say, Stock Hatches, Formula Vees, Locost etc ---- what---- it's already planned ------ 14 Nov, 5 Dec and 28 Dec. Well I suppose everyone will be going to

www.marshals.org.uk

to volunteer.