Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 11 Jun 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2709478)   #1
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
PawUloN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AstenRing - my first track

Yesterday I downloaded Sketchup and came up with this. Layout is very simple, but can be extended later. It was my first try with this software, and I met problems with offsetting lines (all those missing pieces, overlapping etc.).
Attached Thumbnails
AstenRing1.gif   AstenRing2.gif   AstenRing3.gif  

AstenRing4.gif   AstenRing5.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: skp AstenRing.skp (555.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 11 Jun 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2709509)   #2
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey I like the simple approach, the circuit looks very down to buisness, like a club circuit, and your graphics are up to the best standards that get posted around here. I would probably do one more section to your circuit, just to add a little more character to it, but it's not really needed, I would race it as is.

If you allow me I would add and idea just to keep things dynamic in here
Old 11 Jun 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2709520)   #3
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to the Sketch-up club. I know that you've loitered around the My Tracks area for a while so nice to see a track from you.

I haven't time to open the file tonight, but from the captures...for a first attempt with the software your work is astonishing. You have more detail added than I do and I certainly take more than one day !!!

Very nice layout.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 01:22 (Ref:2709542)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawUloN View Post
Yesterday I downloaded Sketchup and came up with this. Layout is very simple, but can be extended later. It was my first try with this software, and I met problems with offsetting lines (all those missing pieces, overlapping etc.).
I like it, especially for a first effort.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2709755)   #5
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
Thanks for your comments, it's nice to see, that you like my effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
If you allow me I would add and idea just to keep things dynamic in here
You're going for an edit? I would like to see what improvements bike racer can bring to this track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Welcome to the Sketch-up club. I know that you've loitered around the My Tracks area for a while so nice to see a track from you.
Yeah, i was just lurking around this section. Was searching for some designs I can bring into life in GeneRally game.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2709909)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, it's nice to see, that you like my effort!
...You're going for an edit? I would like to see what improvements bike racer can bring to this track!
I visualized the lap and it's really a clever design based on it's simplicity, I wouldn't mess much with it, only add a technical section, to test lower speed skills and add another left turn or two,just to even out tire wear should be a really simple section, your basic design is a beauty.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 04:29 (Ref:2710518)   #7
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
First of all, I'd like to point out that your graphics and level of detail are of the highest level I've seen around here, and you have knowledge of what a race track is and how it should be laid out.

THat said, I need to point out some safety issues, if motorcycles are to be raced in your facility.

1.The run of at the exit of the last turn should be increased, also at the exit of the big parabolica, they both flollow the geometrical shape of the track rather than the actual race line, which proyects riders tangential with the corner.

2.The pit lane shoots out drivers straight into the hot racing line, it needs to be modified, to also protect outgoing traffic from getting hit, in case someone loses control at T1 and lands in the impact zone.

my recomendation is to lay the pit lane around the impact area and enter after the apex, at a safer area, where the race line is rather to the inside of the turn, away from exiting cars/bikes.

As for the added section, I added,with much respect for your design, a slower zone that adds a few 100 meters and 3 more corners, just to make for a stadium section, and have more overtaking oportunities, I tried to follow your style rather than add something totally allien from the rest of the track, again with much respect for your awesome design.

Please forgive that I coudn't reproduce the safety barrier yet, you seem good enough to re do it in the propper places.
Attached Thumbnails
AstenRing.png  
Attached Files
File Type: skp AstenRing.skp (573.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 13 Jun 2010 at 04:36.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2710936)   #8
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
Thanks for pointing these issues. I've got still some questions.

Is the scale of the circuit right? Length/width?

How about the runoffs. I understand that their shape should be modified, but what about their size? I can see, that you added much smaller gravel traps. Maybe I overestimated them?

I may also alter the pitlane entrance, so there will be small runoff area.

And about the exit. Should there be barrier between the actual gravel and the pitlane exit around it?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2710989)   #9
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that firstly you overestimated the width. 15 metres is arbitrary for the starting grid but 12 is good enough for the rest of the track. You have made it 17 metres wide. Lengthwise though I think you're right. It's perfect for a medium to large size club track.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2711094)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Thanks for pointing these issues. I've got still some questions.

Is the scale of the circuit right? Length/width?

How about the runoffs. I understand that their shape should be modified, but what about their size? I can see, that you added much smaller gravel traps. Maybe I overestimated them?

I may also alter the pitlane entrance, so there will be small runoff area.

And about the exit. Should there be barrier between the actual gravel and the pitlane exit around it?
1.Ohh you can never have too much run-off but you can have too little!
The area you laid out after the parabolica is very good for my eyes exept that it ends at the turn exit, which is where you will likely see cars spinning around and getting hi-sided from bikes, so you shall extend it to where vehicles are straight up, you were just a tad short, but nothing really catastrophic. We have come to an understanding that 1 foot/MPH of energy absorbing material is a good rule of the thumb, so if your straight is long enough for 100MPH then 100ft at least should be planned. The reason I did smaller areas is because the expectes speeds are slower than at the end of the main straight.

2.The pit entrance, although it looks similar to the exit, given the fact that the speeds around that area are slower and the natural race line seems to be on the inside, its not that bad, exept in a wet race where you might see vehicles sliding into slower, incoming traffic. It is not catastrophic but it could have been better, IMHO.

3.Pit out shall have a barrier, yes.

If your circuit is 17 meters wide, thats pretty big but thats a good thing, Miller Motorsports has 50 foot wide sections were racers can choose radically different lines, making it one of the best circuits I've seen!

Keep up your work!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2711398)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Luiggi, it's interesting to hear about 1 foot per MPH for bikes. What sort of run-off is that for - tarmac, grass or gravel beds? Of course that's a bike standard, when I get Sketchup out I generally seem to think about cars only.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2711478)   #12
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
Okay, I've reworked few things here.

Forgot to make the roof above added stands.
Attached Thumbnails
AstenRing6.gif   AstenRing7.gif   AstenRing8.gif  

Attached Files
File Type: skp AstenRing4.skp (1.11 MB, 4 views)
Old 14 Jun 2010, 07:24 (Ref:2711692)   #13
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing work for your first time with sketchup. I usually take a few days to do what you have done. I love the simplicity. Take a look at other circuits SBF and I have done to see other ideas and techniques in sketchup. But overall you seem to have no problem with it. I just hope you don't get burned out on sketchup like I do after using it for a few days straight. Thats why I've only made about ten tacks in the last year and a half.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2712398)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That a debut? Really? I cannot believe it.

Simple tracks are almost always the most difficult. Your club track in its original form without the extension is an absolute beauty in its simplicity and fast speeds all over. It's probably a whole lot of fun to drive, much more than with the extension included. But I'm biased because I prefer highspeed circuits.
The graphics are cool, too.

Welcome to the board.