Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Feb 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3618759)   #7851
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It's been stated several times over the past few years (since rumors of a hydrogen fuel cell car running at LM popped up about 3-4 years ago I'm guessing) that BMW might get involved in LMP1.

However, I don't think that they'd get involved right now (under the current rules) due to cost. That and their (in my opinion) cynical use of IMSA to run GT cars that don't fully conform to ACO regs and reliance on tech waivers to make sports sedans/coupes into sportscars doesn't breed much encouragement IMO to BMW going back to Le Mans very soon.

That is, unless, the 2018 rules LMP1s are equally tech and cost friendly, which remains to be seen at this stage.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3618916)   #7852
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
3) Evverything already proven/achieved in the sport
4) Full exposure to other VAG brand(s)
5) Money
6) want to focus on dpi project.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 11:06 (Ref:3618978)   #7853
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
enter in dpi as bodywork/engine supplier should be very attractive for any manufacturer, having the chance to get a discrete visibility and media coverage for US market with reasonable not expensive costs.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3619018)   #7854
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
do we have any serious clues Porsche might be interested in such? Just asking.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 12:19 (Ref:3619525)   #7855
turboguy
Rookie

turboguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
However, I don't think that they'd get involved right now (under the current rules) due to cost. That and their (in my opinion) cynical use of IMSA to run GT cars that don't fully conform to ACO regs and reliance on tech waivers to make sports sedans/coupes into sportscars doesn't breed much encouragement IMO to BMW going back to Le Mans very soon.

I absolutley agree. BMW have a history of building slow prototypes disguised as GT cars and using loopholes to get their creations admitted.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3620010)   #7856
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This would be a fantastic Garage 56 project!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zPbvAUy8d8

P.S. - They already try once so....
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:35 (Ref:3620807)   #7857
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see a Koenigsegg regera-like concept for G56
Old 16 Mar 2016, 01:19 (Ref:3623152)   #7858
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger Penske says he would love to take his American team back to the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time in over 40 years and he is open to a return to the sportscar arena and came close to running an ORECA LMP2 in this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona. He also says "honestly, we talked to ORECA about running at the Daytona 24 Hours this year. But when we looked at how they were going to handicap the car [compared to the Daytona Prototypes], you were dead before you started".
http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...lex-24-679693/
Old 16 Mar 2016, 01:35 (Ref:3623153)   #7859
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Roger Penske says he would love to take his American team back to the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time in over 40 years and he is open to a return to the sportscar arena and came close to running an ORECA LMP2 in this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona. He also says "honestly, we talked to ORECA about running at the Daytona 24 Hours this year. But when we looked at how they were going to handicap the car [compared to the Daytona Prototypes], you were dead before you started".
http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...lex-24-679693/
Then a P2 won Daytona and Roger looks a bit daft.
Old 16 Mar 2016, 07:09 (Ref:3623173)   #7860
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, that's pretty funny...

But he said he might come to run a car next year.

Perhaps in a Oreca.
Old 16 Mar 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3623202)   #7861
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Then a P2 won Daytona and Roger looks a bit daft.
He probably means it on full season basis.

Also we don't yet know how bad BoP the Oreca would've (/has) received, particularly when Penske's potential pace would've very likely crushed Dragonspeed pace they've shown so far...

Anyway if the real reason running the thing was solely to get theLM entry I'm not sure how the IMSA BoP would've hindered them for LM...
Old 16 Mar 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3623215)   #7862
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to see him dust off the Spyders. I'm sure he's still got one.
Old 16 Mar 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3623411)   #7863
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The oreca just received negative bop for Sebring based on testing pace. Penske has a point.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3623797)   #7864
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
So will the tie up between Red Bull and Aston Martin eventually lead to a Sportscar Racing project of some sort?
Old 18 Mar 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3623798)   #7865
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
So will the tie up between Red Bull and Aston Martin eventually lead to a Sportscar Racing project of some sort?
Red Bull Aston Martin LMP1, we all know it!
Old 18 Mar 2016, 08:21 (Ref:3623803)   #7866
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Red Bull Aston Martin LMP1, we all know it!
I will believe it when I see it - but we know Aston Martin have the desire, Red bull have the money and expertise so lets hope it is in the pipeline
Old 18 Mar 2016, 09:42 (Ref:3623819)   #7867
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Don't get your hopes up, people. Sounds like they're aiming to do something more like the Pagani Zonda R - not legal for any form of circuit racing. Don't expect to see it run anywhere but the Nurburgring. All on it's own, against the clock.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 09:45 (Ref:3623821)   #7868
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe bowlby's with them too. unhinged front engined hypercar, 100% R+D, unlimited money, no regs.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3623846)   #7869
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ation-hypercar

Old 18 Mar 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3623851)   #7870
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect the RBR-AMR branding team will only further decrease the already shoestring budget for Aston's actual racing programs.
Old 18 Mar 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3623892)   #7871
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The classy Aston Martin teaming up with the most skanky of brands, weird.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 21:23 (Ref:3627658)   #7872
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I swiped this from an F1 forum. I had wanted to post it in the Nissan LMP1 forum only to find out it was locked.
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

It is a portuguese to english translation so a little tricky to read. It is the most in-depth article yet (IMO) of what happened with the project...and maybe a little glimmer of a return (not trying to start a rumor ). Read it, interperet as you will but this is what caught my attention (paraphrasing):

Regulations were changing come 2017/2018, wouldn't make sense to continue current car, let's suspend the project. (makes sense). Keeping track of how rules will progress for 2018, still need backing of Nissan.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3627667)   #7873
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
I swiped this from an F1 forum. I had wanted to post it in the Nissan LMP1 forum only to find out it was locked.
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

It is a portuguese to english translation so a little tricky to read. It is the most in-depth article yet (IMO) of what happened with the project...and maybe a little glimmer of a return (not trying to start a rumor ). Read it, interperet as you will but this is what caught my attention (paraphrasing):

Regulations were changing come 2017/2018, wouldn't make sense to continue current car, let's suspend the project. (makes sense). Keeping track of how rules will progress for 2018, still need backing of Nissan.
If they choose to come back, it will likely be a traditional style chassis.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Mar 2016, 22:18 (Ref:3627671)   #7874
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
If they choose to come back, it will likely be a traditional style chassis.
Not likely given their insistence of wanting to do something different. They'll probabyl stick to providing equipment for other forms of racing unless tehy can come up with something unique. The way Nissan acted about WHY they went the route they did, I'm inclined to believe that if we see them run a traditional style chassis you'll be seeing the first serious effort at a competitive hydrogen fuel cell racecar(or something similarly drastic - assuming Nissan could afford to, which I doubt).
Old 26 Mar 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3627673)   #7875
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not likely given their insistence of wanting to do something different. They'll probabyl stick to providing equipment for other forms of racing unless tehy can come up with something unique. The way Nissan acted about WHY they went the route they did, I'm inclined to believe that if we see them run a traditional style chassis you'll be seeing the first serious effort at a competitive hydrogen fuel cell racecar(or something similarly drastic - assuming Nissan could afford to, which I doubt).
The reason why they did as they did, and did the marketing the way they did, was because of a team who is no longer employed at Nissan.
IF Nissan returns my money is on it being a Japanese driven effort and not American.