Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3101719)   #2126
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
All of those Nissan interviews don't really give us jack on what the hell are they planning.
Yeah I agree Darren Cox was always pretty evasive when asked about a P1. He seemed to be happy that Nissan were doing something different. But it's only 'different' for a short space of time. The most radical thing they could do is try and actually win Le Mans. Imagine how much PR they could get out of that given what they drained out of the DW!
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3101735)   #2127
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Yeah I agree Darren Cox was always pretty evasive when asked about a P1. He seemed to be happy that Nissan were doing something different. But it's only 'different' for a short space of time. The most radical thing they could do is try and actually win Le Mans. Imagine how much PR they could get out of that given what they drained out of the DW!
I don't thing we will see that massive increase in their PR with an LMP1 challenging for the win.
They where pretty much all over the place with sponsorships and commercials this year, so where could they increase?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 09:23 (Ref:3101750)   #2128
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I don't thing we will see that massive increase in their PR with an LMP1 challenging for the win.
They where pretty much all over the place with sponsorships and commercials this year, so where could they increase?
They are all over facebook in the UK right now doing stuff with the new Dark Knight film.

I suppose there is PR in this kind of sense and then there is going toe to toe with rival brands. Maybe they don't feel the need to do that.

Old 4 Jul 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3101958)   #2129
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan are playing a very clever game. Remember, Manufacturers are in it for one thing - to sell more cars!! Get maximum returns for very little cash/resource input.
So while it would be nice to see a Nissan LMP1 car..... I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3102016)   #2130
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Chevrolet pulling out of the WTCC, does this mean there's a chance of them going into WEC next year with the Corvettes?
Old 4 Jul 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3102018)   #2131
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They might need a little coercing with the entry of another serious manufacturer team. Fortunately Porsche is rumoured(very likely) to run a factory WEC team next year in GT. This might be enough for GM to want to go head to head with Porsche.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3102020)   #2132
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
With Chevrolet pulling out of the WTCC, does this mean there's a chance of them going into WEC next year with the Corvettes?
Chevrolet in WTCC was always targeted another market, than the Corvette.
And i do not think that many associate Chevrolet (Daewoo) with Chevrolet Corvette .
Point being that Chevrolet might look for a series which targets the same demographic

What is interesting is what RML is going to do instead
Old 4 Jul 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3102118)   #2133
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I don't think Chevy's withdrawal from vaccuum cleaner racing (S2000) has any real signifance when it comes to their other programs.

Larbre has proved to be one of their more successful partners - if you wanna call them that - so I think they're quite happy with the situation in WEC right now... hell, the french team has won two Le Mans titles and one WEC champ so far, against Corvette Racing's one LM win. Let's face it, GTE-PRO in WEC or indeed in Europe isn't in the best of shapes anyways, winning GTE-AM is just as good. Also GTs don't get that great of a coverage in ACO racing...

As far as the official support for GTs goes
SCCA WC // Cadillac
Grand-Am // Camaro
ALMS // Corvette

can't see it changing any time soon [=GM focusing efforts outside their primary market area / command center which is NA], expect they might wanna get rid of the World Challenge deal which is going nowhere

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Jul 2012 at 20:31.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3102120)   #2134
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They might have some capacities for the North American DTM series, but then again, the WTCC entry was funded by Chevrolet Europe, and I really doubt that GM would enter Chevrolet into the DTM, when they could enter Opel (Unless they want to seriously **** off the Opel fans). But that's just speculation .
Old 4 Jul 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3102122)   #2135
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I don't think Chevy's withdrawal from vaccuum cleaner racing (S2000) has any real signifance when it comes to their other programs.

Larbre has proved to be one of their more successful partners - if you wanna call them that - so I think they're quite happy with the situation in WEC right now... hell, the french team has won two Le Mans titles and one WEC champ so far, against Corvette Racing's one LM win. Let's face it, GTE-PRO in WEC or indeed in Europe isn't in the best of shapes anyways, winning GTE-AM is just as good. Also GTs don't get that great of a coverage in ACO racing...

As far as the official support for GTs goes
SCCA WC // Cadillac
Grand-Am // Camaro
ALMS // Corvette

can't see it changing any time soon [=GM focusing efforts outside their primary market area / command center which is NA], expect they might wanna get rid of the World Challenge deal which is going nowhere
Whats the point of the World Challenge deal? The series has a good entry list but the only time anybody is at the track is during the Indycar/ALMS weekends they share which currently makes up 6/8 races. Nobody really showed up to Mosport and Miller (no suprise) and the television coverage is even worse, at least ALMS gets same day or next day TD on ESPN2,WC gets showed weeks after on NBCSN. I can't see why a major manufacturer would put money into it, the SCCA must be doing one hell of a sell job.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3102131)   #2136
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Whats the point of the World Challenge deal? The series has a good entry list but the only time anybody is at the track is during the Indycar/ALMS weekends they share which currently makes up 6/8 races. Nobody really showed up to Mosport and Miller (no suprise) and the television coverage is even worse, at least ALMS gets same day or next day TD on ESPN2,WC gets showed weeks after on NBCSN. I can't see why a major manufacturer would put money into it, the SCCA must be doing one hell of a sell job.
Agreed, it doesn't make much sense. It's really not that bad of a series for privateer teams, the races infact are quite hectic and you get to race with the big boys in shared weekends - but for manufacturers it really seems like a Formula Ford Festival at wet & gloomy Oulton Park on New Year's Eve... the TV production itself is quite decent, as is the streaming on web but that doesn't mean a squad if no-one cares, or cannot even view the races until ten weeks later.

However, since GM doesn't wanna have Cadillac going head to head against factory Corvettes and Camaros, where do you go? Right now NA has ALMS and Grand-Am as their headline sportscar series, next CTSCC in Division B, then in Division C you have World Challenge ands maybe that old resurrected ghost which is still calling itself Trans-Am, then in Division D bigger one-make series such as IMSA GT3 & Ferrari Challenge North America etc, then the rest. Where do you go?

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Jul 2012 at 21:12.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3102947)   #2137
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Nissan rumoured to announce a big motorsports programme.
Wasn't it RML who helped them out with Juke-R? They're not busy now, are they....
Old 6 Jul 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3102950)   #2138
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

However, since GM doesn't wanna have Cadillac going head to head against factory Corvettes and Camaros, where do you go?
North American DTM... if it gets off the ground.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3103001)   #2139
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Zytek and Honda have made an official deal for hybrid systems. Is this Honda's way into P1?

http://www.zytekautomotive.co.uk/Lin...bid=39&mid=474
Old 6 Jul 2012, 20:36 (Ref:3103011)   #2140
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it’s unlikely, but I would like to see a Cadillac P1 effort. They have the Converj now ELR ERev coming 2014 so a hybrid P1 would make the most sense, to me anyway.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3103022)   #2141
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
I know it’s unlikely, but I would like to see a Cadillac P1 effort. They have the Converj now ELR ERev coming 2014 so a hybrid P1 would make the most sense, to me anyway.
As good it would be to have Cadillac return, it's unfortunately one of the marques, which we won't see at Le Mans for some time.
1st. The LMP900 program failed and didn't do any good for Cadillac.
2nd. I don't see GM throwing more money at Le Mans, than the Corvette program, besides GM doesn't seem to be that interested in the European market with Cadillac.

But i would love an American LMP effort, and if Cadillac should choose to up the ante on the Cadillac brand in Europe, i really hope it will be a LMP effort
Old 6 Jul 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3103024)   #2142
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Former GP2 driver Jose-Maria "Pechito" Lopez went to see his friends in Europe and creates contacts to drive next year, the American Le Mans Series and in particular Le Mans 24 hours. Probably the LMP2 team is his choice, even does not rule out the possibility of LMP1.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3103027)   #2143
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Zytek and Honda have made an official deal for hybrid systems. Is this Honda's way into P1?

http://www.zytekautomotive.co.uk/Lin...bid=39&mid=474
Zytek has been working on a customer hybrid for a few years. Hopefully this one is successful now that Honda is involved. If zytek offered a P1 chassis to go along with this that would be great.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3103028)   #2144
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 2011 hyrbid zytek lmp1 was a failure... maybe honda should collaborate with a better company involved in hybrid technologies.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3103030)   #2145
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
the 2011 hyrbid zytek lmp1 was a failure... maybe honda should collaborate with a better company involved in hybrid technologies.
The 2011 Hope Racing car was a result of a pressured program with not enough development time.

When it comes to Hybrid power, Zytek is a very wise choice, seeing how much experience they have on the subject. (remember the old sparky Panoz used Zytek too)
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3103035)   #2146
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Really? http://green.autoblog.com/2009/11/08...ng-hybrid-ker/
Was the KERS system in McLaren MP4-24 a failure too?
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3103040)   #2147
alexkiller8
Veteran

you are not well informed, in 2011 hope racing wasn't the only hybrid car. The car i was talking about is the zytek 09SC hybrid ran by mik corse in 2 race of LMS, the collaboration between zytek and the italian team was promising but the car was never competitive, while the zytek engine and the hybrid system suffered of every kind of issues. Zytek is a leader company in electronics race devices (f1 ECU are made by zytek and mclaren) but in hybrid technologies is far from being the best company.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3103041)   #2148
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Really? http://green.autoblog.com/2009/11/08...ng-hybrid-ker/
Was the KERS system in McLaren MP4-24 a failure too?
an other bad informed user... beyond the fact that a f1 kers can't be compared with the hybrid systems currently used and that will be used in future by lmp1 cars, read my post above and you will see why i'm perplexed about honda decision to have zytek as partner.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3103042)   #2149
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
This is a deal with Honda Japan, not with HPD.
Quote:
Zytek designed the first version of the McLaren/Mercedes F1 KERS, which was the best system on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The 2011 Hope Racing car was a result of a pressured program with not enough development time.
You probably mean the Mik Corse Zytek Hope Racing ran an Oreca 01 with a Lehmann/VW 2.0 turbo and a Flybrid flywheel based KERS.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3103045)   #2150
alexkiller8
Veteran

again... f1 kers are very different from the supercapacitors hybrid systems. BTW you hit a good spot, this collaboration may simply mean that honda is working with zytek for hybrid road cars system.