Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3088628)   #2251
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Wasnt that bad surely.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3088635)   #2252
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The post race show is dreadful, lots of fun chat with people we have no interest in. People like Andretti, Villeneuve, Grosjean, Perez, Hamilton. Pathetic.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3088652)   #2253
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Wasnt that bad surely.
No it's not that bad, just that the BBC do it much better.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3088653)   #2254
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The beeb are good at most things they do, except flotillas.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3088660)   #2255
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The beeb are good at most things they do, except flotillas.
They certainly supplied plenty of rain.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3088665)   #2256
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They certainly supplied plenty of rain.
We have to keep up the National stereotype - it's what the tourists expect.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3088726)   #2257
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!

I think the Sky commentary team are OK. Croft is more uptight on Sky and does say a few minor dumb things but nothing stand out. Brundle is his usual efficient self but I've never warmed to the man; his commentary is more like that of an 'an instructor' as befits the expert. Serious, efficient stuff but I've never been able to make 'friends' with his commentary.

Edwards, I've listened to him for some years before Brundle. I associate him in my mind with other commentators I grew up with such as Walker and sometime Indycar commentator Paul Page. That's one of the reasons why I pluck with the BBC when they are live, personal reasons. Although I've never met the man I feel like I know him from his days of doing voiceovers for highlights on Speedworld.

Alot of the resentment and it's legitimate resentment is down to the fact that they are holding people who want to watch the race live hostage. It's not that Sky are offering a substantially superior product that you'd pay for. O.K the Legends programs are excellent but I saw plenty of stuff that was pure fluff on ther too. I'm an F1 fan not a Hello reader. I'm not interested in the Torro Rosso duo inside what looked like a giant hamster wheel with some flashy circus. Less of that silly lifestyle garbage. In fairness, they followed that up with Webber at the TT and a quiet interview with Alonso but I'm not interested in feel good promotional segments that masquerade as insight.

To those who aren't hostages to live broadcasting I couldn't recommend Sky. Even in its diminished form the BBC have a much more fluent approach.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 23:51 (Ref:3088763)   #2258
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I'm not interested in the Torro Rosso duo inside what looked like a giant hamster wheel with some flashy circus. Less of that silly lifestyle garbage.
Have to agree, that was totally pointless and a waste of airspace, that said, the BBC did a bit with Michael and horses last year, equally pointless and a waste of airspace. They all do it. (Don't get me started on the tripe that ITV used to do either)
Old 11 Jun 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3088774)   #2259
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Have to agree, that was totally pointless and a waste of airspace, that said, the BBC did a bit with Michael and horses last year, equally pointless and a waste of airspace. They all do it. (Don't get me started on the tripe that ITV used to do either)
It's one thing for a free channel to tend to a mainstream audience, it's another thing paying for a dedicated channel for the dedicated fan and getting back gooey lifestyle fluff for some of your money. For all their boasts of new thinking when it comes to Skypads...etc they failed to have the imagination to break routine industry practice. I don't want to overstate Sky's faults. It isn't a bad service for a small fee but there's no sense in paying for the price it is now unless you're a live addict because there's not a lot new there and frankly there is much that is unsatisfactory in relation to the competition.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3088848)   #2260
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cooking with Olivier Panis?!
Old 11 Jun 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3088905)   #2261
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Crofty is no where near as good as the BBC commentator we used to listen to on the radio last year - everyone loved him.
He's not as good watching him on the races as he is in the practice sessions.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3089003)   #2262
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It's one thing for a free channel to tend to a mainstream audience, it's another thing paying for a dedicated channel for the dedicated fan and getting back gooey lifestyle fluff for some of your money. For all their boasts of new thinking when it comes to Skypads...etc they failed to have the imagination to break routine industry practice. I don't want to overstate Sky's faults. It isn't a bad service for a small fee but there's no sense in paying for the price it is now unless you're a live addict because there's not a lot new there and frankly there is much that is unsatisfactory in relation to the competition.
Your entitled to that opinion of course, but i don't personally see the difference. Both stations (Sky and BBC) are padding out their shows.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3089022)   #2263
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Your entitled to that opinion of course, but i don't personally see the difference. Both stations (Sky and BBC) are padding out their shows.
It's a big difference between public broadcaster who have to cater for all interests and who have an obligation to maximise their viewership and a dedicated F1 channel offering a dedicated service. Cuddly lifestyle segments are there to draw in the interest of the non-racefan. It taps into the popular love of celebrity.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3089050)   #2264
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Cuddly lifestyle segments are there to draw in the interest of the non-racefan. It taps into the popular love of celebrity.
perhaps, but i like aforementioned fluff. with many of the drivers it catches them out of circuit mode and you can see what they're like as guys. when they're churning out their pr training in front of a camera you can't. it's a pointer towards their actions on track too.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3089157)   #2265
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
perhaps, but i like aforementioned fluff. with many of the drivers it catches them out of circuit mode and you can see what they're like as guys. when they're churning out their pr training in front of a camera you can't. it's a pointer towards their actions on track too.
What I'd like to see are them like the Motorsport podcast. Swapping anecdotes - need only be for 30 minutes. It's cheaper, we get to see the real driver. Watching them smile uncomfortably while they clamber into a gigantic hamster thing isn't giving me much insight into their personalities.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3089176)   #2266
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe Saward has a piece on TV and sport and he has a definite view on pay per view for F1.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...ladders-about/

I agree with him 100%
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3093997)   #2267
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pitpass are looking for views on the BBC Vs sky debate.

http://www.pitpass.com/46565-Talking...eve-Its-Better
Old 18 Jun 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3094048)   #2268
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would like to know why Sky have mysteriously raised my direct debit by ten quid, but that will mean calling them and being called "buddy" every sentence.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3094050)   #2269
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I would like to know why Sky have mysteriously raised my direct debit by ten quid, but that will mean calling them and being called "buddy" every sentence.
There's probably something in the small print that says they can up the fee after a 3 month period.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3094067)   #2270
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
A bit off thread, but they all seem to talk like Lorraine Kelly or some Cockney
used-car dealer. I hate phoning them, too.

(If you've just joined Sky to get F1, watch out for future sales-calls trying to flog you something. Extended warranty is £100 for 2 years cover, and a new box is only £150! You having a laugh?)
Old 18 Jun 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3094238)   #2271
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any idea who will replace Ant while he recovers from his Le Mans crash tv wise?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3094285)   #2272
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's probably something in the small print that says they can up the fee after a 3 month period.
I'm looking forward to my conversation with them tonight. I don't fancy paying the inflated salaries of Fake Jake and co and Murdoch as well.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3094289)   #2273
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I'm looking forward to my conversation with them tonight. I don't fancy paying the inflated salaries of Fake Jake and co and Murdoch as well.
Did you get the 3 months free HD pack?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3094292)   #2274
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably Johnny Herbert and Damon Hill. Don't think Ant will be away very long though.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3094325)   #2275
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I have a year's free HD and they'd made a mistake and charged me for it.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky