Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Nov 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2986105)   #176
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 10 - Jaguars!

Race 9 was for modern Caterhams, so to Race 10:-

Starters - 26
Classified - 22
Duration - 20 minutes (although it ran about 18 mins!)

Full race title 'Jaguar Classic Parts Jaguar Saloons/JEC Jaguar XJS Championship' . A big title for big cars and they really do take up a lot of room. Anyway, this was won by David Howard's lovely old XJ12 (55), one of the more nimble (yes, really!) cars out there although Patrick Doyle did his best to hold on for a while but eventually finished 2nd, 11 seconds down in his 6 litre V12 XJS (91). Stuart Lyddall was 3rd, a further 4 seconds back, in his 5.3 V12 XJS (23). Just a few pics:-

1) Peter Dorlin took his XJ6 Coupe to 10th - the same car that had participated in the Swinging 60's
2) The XJ40 really does look huge. This is Philip Woods (35) who came in 18th
3) Stuart Lyddall's car (23) didn't start the race with this unconventional approach to additional cooling. Leading a line of cars through Coram.
4) The battle to avoid being last! Stephen Allen (49 - XJS) seen at the head of this battling threesome heading into Murray's, stayed there to finish 20th.
5) David Howard on his winning way
6) Patrick Doyle
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1940wb.jpg   IMG_2002wb.jpg   IMG_2040wb.jpg  

IMG_2065wb.jpg   IMG_2087wb.jpg   IMG_2090wb.jpg  

Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2986651)   #177
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Currently trying to put together a complete set of pics for the V8 race (Race 11) but since 5 cars didn't get beyond 3 laps and 2 of those didn't even complete one lap, it might be difficult. Anyway, working on it! Should be able to put something together for tomorrow, or Thursday at latest!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2986679)   #178
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, The Jaguar races are 15 mins + 1 lap, so that explains the odd timing!
Joyce
Old 15 Nov 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2986723)   #179
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yep I began to realise why I can never catch Dave Howard as they made him strap on 60 kilos of ballast as well and he still blasted them all away.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 10:02 (Ref:2987631)   #180
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan View Post
John, The Jaguar races are 15 mins + 1 lap, so that explains the odd timing!
Joyce
Thanks, Joyce, I should have remembered that (not to mention reading the programme! )
Old 17 Nov 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2987647)   #181
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - HVRA V8 Challenge

Starters - 29
Classified - 21
Duration - 20 mins

Well, this showed promise and indicated a desire by the V8 boys to race together whether in saloons or sports cars and we had a number of cars here that we rarely if ever see out, and a successful 'toe in the water' exercise to justify a short series for them next year. It was a shame that Ian Jacobs, entered in the programme with his 1974 Mercedes 450 SL, didn't put in an appearance, and neither was there any Morgan Plus 8 on the grid. I'm also assuming that the Porsche 928 was just a bit too recent for the event. Nevertheless, a good range of V8s from 1964 - 1977.

John Finnemore put the Team Tiger Sunbeam Tiger (181), the oldest car (along with the TVR Griffith of Jonathan Bloohn), on pole and converted that to lead the first lap. However, it was shortlived and Boysie Thurtle (programme and result sheet says Arthur, but Ollie Timson in Autosport has Boysie driving, so I'm going with him!) latched quickly onto the back of the Tiger in the very powerful Camaro (74) and took the lead on lap 2 and from then on drove away to win by over 17 seconds. Finnemore was an equally lonely 2nd finishing half a minute ahead of the Raymond Barrow Camaro (144)

In the following posts I have endeavoured to include every car that started the race, so I apologise for the variation in quality. The one omission is Bill Withey's Camaro (31) which failed to complete the first lap. One or two others are shown on their formation lap as they too, had short races. Anyway, here goes:-

1) Russell McCarthy who qualified on the front row alongside Finnemore managed just one lap and this pic shows him on the formation lap in his MGB GTV8 (92)
2) Again on the formation lap, Phill Perryman's Corvette (11) which lasted 3 laps
3) Through Coram for the first time and Boysie Thurtle is already hounding the Tiger
4) Simon Lane, in his second outing of the day, took 8th place in the Camaro (65)
5) Ruper West was 17th in his Sunbeam Tiger (62)
6) I don't know whether it is the metallic signwriting on Al Weyman's IROC Camaro that makes it difficult for my camera to capture with reasonable definition but this the best I have found, Al came 16th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2171wb.jpg   IMG_2174wb.jpg   IMG_2184wb.jpg  

IMG_2188wb.jpg   IMG_2194wb.jpg   IMG_2199wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Nov 2011 at 10:51.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2987649)   #182
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Race 9 was for modern Caterhams, so to Race 10:-

3) Stuart Lyddall's car (23) didn't start the race with this unconventional approach to additional cooling. Leading a line of cars through Coram.
That's me at the back of the line of cars - black / silver XJS 44 - do you have any more shots of me John?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2987650)   #183
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - HVRA V8 Challenge (2)

1) Thomas Gray limps back to the pits on the first lap in his Pontiac TransAm (8). Was this impact the reason why we did not see the Withey car come round?
2) Lap 2 and Boysie is now ahead
3) Jonathan Bloohn was 6th in the TVR Griffith (77) definitely the smallest car in the race - as I've said many times before, a true 'pocket rocket'
4) This is the only shot I have of the De Tomaso Pantera (63) running under it's own power. Terry Gisborne pulled it off the track on lap 3.
5) Wayne Langridge also on his second outing of the day. He finished 14th in the Mustang (28)
6) First time (I think) that I have ever seen Pete Hallford in anything other than his faithful old Camaro, and certainly not in this Corvette (12) in which he finished 4th
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2203wb.jpg   IMG_2208wb.jpg   IMG_2217wb.jpg  

IMG_2218wb.jpg   IMG_2224wb.jpg   IMG_2241wb.jpg  

Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2987660)   #184
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
That's me at the back of the line of cars - black / silver XJS 44 - do you have any more shots of me John?
When I've finished the V8 race, I'll have a look Cliff, but in all honesty, most of the pics I took at this meeting were pretty rubbish!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2987667)   #185
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - HVRA V8 Challenge (3)

1) Bob Pepper finished 10th in his Mustang 350GTR (4)
2) Last of the classified runners was Robert Potter in his Corvette (69)
3) Mark Fowler finished 11th in his Camaro (50)
4) The Sunbeam Tiger (35) of Paul Clayson who finished 15th
5) Raymond Barrow, 3rd in his Camaro (144)
6) Craig Davies laste 5 laps in this Corvette (199)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2252wb.jpg   IMG_2264wb.jpg   IMG_2282wb.jpg  

IMG_2287wb.jpg   IMG_2326wb.jpg   IMG_2334wb.jpg  

Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2987668)   #186
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks John, Daniel was also out in my car in the Powered By Jaguar race, the last race of the day.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2987672)   #187
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm also assuming that the Porsche 928 was just a bit too recent for the event. Nevertheless, a good range of V8s from 1964 - 1977.
I don't know what the age range allowed was but I would have thought that an early 928 (4.5 or maybe 4.7 litre "S" - introduced 1978/79) might be eligible, there just aren't that many about in the UK. A couple in 70s Roadsports (which may be eligible) & a couple of later GTS types (which probably would not be eligible) in AMOC or CSCC events are the only ones I can think of.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2987685)   #188
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - HVRA V8 Challenge (4)

1) Joseph Caan in the quickest of the 3 Aston V8s. Unfortunately it was also the one that didn't finish (999).
2) Ben (son of Chris) Beighton also failed to see the chequered flag, retiring after 12 laps in the Mustang (81). I noted minor damage to the front offside but I don't think that was the cause, since it ran several laps in this state.
3) The only Cobra (98) in the race, that of Kevin Kivlochan who finished 18th
4) Bob Searles was 9th in his asyon V8 (44)
5) Neil Merry took his Corvette (21) to 7th
6) Stephen McKie was 19th in this MGB GTV8 (24)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2338wb.jpg   IMG_2347wb.jpg   IMG_2350wb.jpg  

IMG_2360wb.jpg   IMG_2362wb.jpg   IMG_2376wb.jpg  

Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:31 (Ref:2987695)   #189
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - HVRA V8 Challenge (5)

Last lost for this race:-

1) 'Spike Milligan', 13th in his Camaro Z28 (3)
2) Chas Mallard was 5th in his Camaro (111)
3) The Aston V8 (5) of Julian Bailey-Watts who finished 12th
4) Rob Pepper-Smith, 20th in his Mustang (6)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2382wb.jpg   IMG_2400wb.jpg   IMG_2417wb.jpg  

IMG_2423wb.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2987698)   #190
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Thanks John, Daniel was also out in my car in the Powered By Jaguar race, the last race of the day.
Sorry Cliff, but I missed the last 2 races as I was deep in conference with one Claire Smith of this parish! However will look for you in the earlier race!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2987700)   #191
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I don't know what the age range allowed was but I would have thought that an early 928 (4.5 or maybe 4.7 litre "S" - introduced 1978/79) might be eligible, there just aren't that many about in the UK. A couple in 70s Roadsports (which may be eligible) & a couple of later GTS types (which probably would not be eligible) in AMOC or CSCC events are the only ones I can think of.
Andy, I was thinking of those in the HSCC series - there have been up to 3 of them on the grid on occasion, in the recent past.

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Nov 2011 at 12:57.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2987711)   #192
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Found this one, Cliff.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2094wb.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2987753)   #193
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Andy, I was thinking of those in the HSCC series - there have been up to 3 of them on the grid on occasion, in the recent past.
John, I agree, but they may not have even known about it, I am not sure they frequent forums & are not CSCC folks so may not have heard of it via that route. Hopefuly they will be out in the future, though?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2987807)   #194
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's me at the back of the line of cars - black / silver XJS 44
Got quite a few with you in but then you have already probably checked the gallery.

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2987849)   #195
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good pics once again John

Oh, and wooohooo, 2 mentions/pics of me in one report.

Unfortunately after the first lap fracas I ended up having a lonely race and needed a few more laps to reel in the car ahead.

First lap or so ...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wabbRkrKZyQ
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2987916)   #196
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You can see where the cars disappeared in my video as well. It also let Wayne slip away as I recon we would have had a good race if the times were anything to go by.

Guys for the record my car I entered is an 86/7 model so probably the newest one there and newer than a 928 which if they had entered I am sure would have been allowed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZonjiyF4Y

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZonjiyF4Y
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2988002)   #197
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Thanks John much appreciated - good shot.

David I have already checked out your gallery - some really good shots, thanks.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2991890)   #198
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I will get around to posting some pics from Race 12 - Swinging 60s - already selected them - just need to get myself psyched up for my last pictorial review of the year!