Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Nov 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2992242)   #1
Dented Table
Rookie

United States
Flagstaff, AZ
Dented Table should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTE Speculation

I'm very surprised there hasn't been a full thread on this already, but I've come across plently of speculation. I want this forum's thoughts and opinions; what cars and teams from different series should make the leap to GTE in the new WEC? What are some possibilities that could spawn into a fully fledged racing entry? Think outside the box here, folks, and come up with some ridiculous ideas.

Now, we've got a big task on our hands, to cover all of this. So, what are some cars you think should be well-suited to enter the GTE category? My picks...

Belgian Audi Club from the Blancpain Endurance Series in the Audi R8 LMS. It could be the United Autosports team, though, as they seem to have an unlimited budget.

McLaren from the Blancpain Endurance Series. It has basically been confirmed that they will race in Le Mans in GTE by Graham.

Marc VDS running a Ford GT? Why not? No offense to Robertson Racing, but it would be a lot less ridiculous for them to run it in a Ford GT than a private, small American husband/wife owned team. But keep your hopes high, Robertsons!

Young Driver AMR. They entered Castellet and tried to make it in Le Mans. It would be a good replacement for the Gulf AMR team moving to LMP2.

Mercedes-Benz from FIA GT3. Good drivers, good car, good team.

Now, finally, how about Reiter Engineering? They have had good endurance trim and the car seems fast and reliable. Also, I can name several good "regulars" for the driver spots in this car. They would run the Gallardo, obviously.

What about Jaguar? I think they need to run the 24 hour gauntlet again, except with two cars. An ideal lineup would be...

Paul Gentilozzi / Kenny Wilden / Boris Said
Oriol Servia / Cristiano da Matta / Bruno Junqueira

I also think someone should give the Nissan GT-R a try. Strangely, I sort of see a PlayStation / Gran Turismo / Nissan Academy thing going on. I can almost see a one-car team with Bryan Heitkotter, Kazunori Yamauchi, and Yasuyoshi Yamamoto running the GT-R like they did in the Nurburgring 24 Hours. I say Brian Heitkotter because he one the Nissan Academy award, obviously.

Any other ramblings and guesses for me to add on?
Old 28 Nov 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2992333)   #2
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Table View Post
.................Think outside the box here, folks, and come up with some ridiculous ideas. ...........................

What about Jaguar? I think they need to run the 24 hour gauntlet again, except with two cars. An ideal lineup would be...

Paul Gentilozzi / Kenny Wilden / Boris Said
Oriol Servia / Cristiano da Matta / Bruno Junqueira
Jamie Whincup, Craig Lowndes and Warren Luff in a 888, Vodaphone R8 LMS. Lowndes and Luff have had a couple of runs in an R8, and are going around again at the Bathurst 12 hour, next year. Whincup is talking up, a step out of V8SC and looking at other series, sports car racing being one of them.
I hope this fits your criteria. Ridiculous..... yes! Likelihood...hardly!, but the team and those three would make a highly competitive outfit.
On your point about Jaguar..... I hope that a more deserving team would get the opportunity, to run at the LM24, than that joke entry.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2992385)   #3
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
What have I missed here? WEC is NOT GT3. More a sort of GT2bis.
Yet you list GT3 cars?

I'm confused...
Old 28 Nov 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2992397)   #4
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same here. To take a GT3 spec car and turn it into a GTE spec takes alot of effort, time and money.

The R8 is not likely to get a GTE treatment at all. Something with the suspension pick up points, that works against a GTE car. Plus WRT will probably do GTWC.

McLaren did initially say they were going to make a GTE car aswell, but I have yet to see any confirmation about it. And either way, it will not be on the grid 2012.

Marc VDS has gone with BMW Z4 and BES AFAIK. No takings at all for the Lambda Ford GTE as of yet.

YDAMR will most likely do GTWC with a GT3 Vantage V12 the way it looks right now. The V8 Vantage GTE is however said to be up for some serious treatments to be competitive in GTE.

AFAIK Mercedes has no plans to make a GTE car.

The RSR Jaguar effort is barely a joke, so not likely. Possibly a X-C16 GT3 for 2013.

Nissan has just finished development of their GT3 car, so not likely any GTE effort in the foreseeable future.

There are other rumors going around though. As always. What happend to the LF-A GTE? And what of Dodge Viper?

I wonder how long it will be until we actually see GT3 cars at Le Mans though? All current GTE constructors also has GT3 cars... And GT3 are seemingly more successful than GTE ATM.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2992443)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Bear in mind, I don't have rule books as bed time reading, but, don't ILMC let in GT3 cars under a GT-C class for Xhuhai?
One possible route for these cars to run at LM maybe.
But it would take a collapse of the LMP runners to bring them...
Old 28 Nov 2011, 13:57 (Ref:2992446)   #6
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Bear in mind, I don't have rule books as bed time reading, but, don't ILMC let in GT3 cars under a GT-C class for Xhuhai?
... or an unlikely increase in the number of entries. I wonder if the annexe to the main pit building can be expanded further to bring the total to 60 cars...
Old 28 Nov 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2992459)   #7
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
They do it at Zhuhai because the grid is poor, due to the lack of a regional championship.

It wouldn't be practical to include them at Le Mans because they are allowed more power and downforce than a GTE car, but have worse tyres and are heavier.

The Zhuhai GTE race was actually ruined early on because Bruni and Priaulx couldn't out-drag one of the R8s allowing Jorg Muller to drive away. Yes they caught back up, but burnt a lot of fuel doing it.

Ben
Old 28 Nov 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2992496)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
A case of GT3 being TOO good?
I seem to recall GT-E being a slightly higher spec GT-2, after GT-1 was taken away?
Which makes you wonder how a cooking GT3, whichever spec, can hold them up?
Curious.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2992527)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Possible GTE Entries -

Lambda Ford GT - Confirmed, plans for six chassis
LFA - Version tested, seems to be on hold/cancelled
Mclaren - Certainty, but late 2012 at the very earliest
Viper - Stated interest with a Riley designed car
Spyker - Does the company even exist?
R8 LMS - ALMS specific GTE homologation planned
Nissan - GT1 car no more, a GT3 car built, GTE the next step?
Mercedes - So Many GT3's sold, but big task to make a GTE
Maserati - Would they compete with Ferrari?
Lamborghini - VAG issues with Porsche
Ginetta - Not yet

Anyone else?
Old 28 Nov 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2992531)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I seem to recall GT-E being a slightly higher spec GT-2, after GT-1 was taken away?
Curious.
Current GT3's are a good 3-4 seconds per lap quicker than the first generation, and far more expensive. You'd think with a BoP formula teams could buy, for example, a 458, and not touch it until the replacement launches, as it is updates are coming every year or two.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2992598)   #11
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
How about the new R8 LMS ULTRA? I saw the press release say wider tires, different suspension, new aero, new RW, betterr cooling, more power... I'm betting it'd do fine in GTE.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2992605)   #12
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What have I missed here? WEC is NOT GT3. More a sort of GT2bis.
Yet you list GT3 cars?

I'm confused...
Ah... the Grinch lives .
No need for confusion, the question asked was.....
"what cars and teams from different series should make the leap to GTE in the new WEC? What are some possibilities that could spawn into a fully fledged racing entry? Think outside the box here, folks, and come up with some ridiculous ideas. "
I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to get an R8 up to GT2/WEC standards. It's been mooted before. The car would be more than competitive. We are heading into the off season, have a bit of fun.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2992613)   #13
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Curious.
GTE is just GT2 renamed. The straightline speed of GTE is determined by the ACO to fit in with Le Mans. They want LMP1 to do 3:30 laps. LMP2 to do 3:45 and GTE to do 4:00. If you allow a GTE car to go too fast in a straightline they do sub-4:00 laps and hold up LMP2 cars in a straightline.

This has led to some complaints in some quarters that GTE cars are too slow relative to the road cars in a straightline so GT3 exploited this view by allowing the cars to be relatively powerful. The also allow more aero freedom, diffuser, etc, but prevent the pace getting too good by doing the BoP.

It should be clear at this point that GTE and GT3 are the products of dramatically different philosophies and contexts, hence it is stupid to try and run them on the same racetrack at the same time.

Ben
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2992634)   #14
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Graham now saying at DSC that it is the AMG Mercedes and Lambo.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2992640)   #15
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Possible GTE Entries -

Lambda Ford GT - Confirmed, plans for six chassis
LFA - Version tested, seems to be on hold/cancelled
Mclaren - Certainty, but late 2012 at the very earliest
Viper - Stated interest with a Riley designed car
Spyker - Does the company even exist?
R8 LMS - ALMS specific GTE homologation planned
Nissan - GT1 car no more, a GT3 car built, GTE the next step?
Mercedes - So Many GT3's sold, but big task to make a GTE
Maserati - Would they compete with Ferrari?
Lamborghini - VAG issues with Porsche
Ginetta - Not yet

Anyone else?
Lambda Ford GT - Confirmed, plans for six chassis - But no confirmed customers
LFA - Version tested, seems to be on hold/cancelled - No Idea but wouldn't be surprised if something emerged here
Mclaren - Certainty, but late 2012 at the very earliest - Agree
Viper - Stated interest with a Riley designed car - Gone quioet but if the funding can be found its a no brainer
Spyker - Does the company even exist? - Forget Spyker - Done
R8 LMS - ALMS specific GTE homologation planned - Might now be going wider
Nissan - GT1 car no more, a GT3 car built, GTE the next step? Would be stunned if they didn't but no word yet
Mercedes - So Many GT3's sold, but big task to make a GTE - But they are AMG Mercedes - They can do 'big'
Maserati - Would they compete with Ferrari? - No word
Lamborghini - VAG issues with Porsche - Nope - This one is happening
Ginetta - Not yet - Not before model that follows on from current G55

There are others too - astonishingly! I now know of potential for a further two!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2992646)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Think they might need to change the name of the class to GTeeeeeeeeee out of excitement. Will be interesting to see what Lambo come up with and how hard they choose to hit the class.

Hopefully this will shift the WEC entry figures to or beyond 40!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2992647)   #17
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Think they might need to change the name of the class to GTeeeeeeeeee out of excitement. Will be interesting to see what Lambo come up with and how hard they choose to hit the class.

Hopefully this will shift the WEC entry figures to or beyond 40!
Nope - don't expect 2012 numbers anywhere near that
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2992648)   #18
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
hey up Graham, do I read from that the there is something GTE expected of Lamborghini? I really wasn't expecting that to be the case, but it would be great if so.

I know the Mercedes has been mooted by some, but surely that engine is way too big for GTE?
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2992652)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
More GTE's is good, I just wonder who would run them, is GTE still allowed in Blancpain, I think they're still used in VLN.

At least you know manufactuers like Mercedes and Audi will put together good programs and probaby attract new teams to the class, not just have teams switch from Porsche and Ferrari.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2992653)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
hey up Graham, do I read from that the there is something GTE expected of Lamborghini? I really wasn't expecting that to be the case, but it would be great if so.

I know the Mercedes has been mooted by some, but surely that engine is way too big for GTE?
Yes to a 'proper' GTE Lambo - Ref Merc Engine - no further details, simply a very, very good source that says AMG will produce a GTE spec SLS
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2992657)   #21
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
More GTE's is good, I just wonder who would run them, is GTE still allowed in Blancpain, I think they're still used in VLN.

No GTE in Blancpain
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:53 (Ref:2992666)   #22
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Nope - don't expect 2012 numbers anywhere near that
Just a touch too excited clearly.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2992668)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
An admirable quality!!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2992670)   #24
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
There are others too - astonishingly! I now know of potential for a further two!
Stunning! Surely you must be referring to Aston and BMW which were not listed and not officially announced?
If not... Who's left? What a great problem to have in the off season, not being able to name all the next years' entries.
It is amazing to me the weight that a World Championship seems to hold for manufacturers in both GT and LMP. I knew it would be a positive but we are truly on the cusp of another golden age for sportscars!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2992676)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
BMW's GT future is with the Z4, if a GTE version was built that would ensure at least a customer future for BMW, it's the M3 GTE vs M3 DTM conflict that is puitting big question marks over their future participation.