Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Dec 2011, 01:59 (Ref:2993759)   #1
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bonhams December Sale - Mercedes-Benz World - Dec 1st 2011

Hi everyone,

Later this morning, I am going to the Bonhams end of year sale at M-B World down at Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey.

It should be fascinating as they have many historic racing cars for sale such as the Austin Healey 100 that Lance Macklin drove in the tragic 1955 Le Mans 24hours.

It is expected to sell for over half a million pounds.

Anyone here going?

See: http://www.bonhams.com/eur/carsMBworld/

and all the sale items: http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...&iSaleNo=19293
Old 1 Dec 2011, 03:03 (Ref:2993777)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... what are you hoping to bring home?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Dec 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2993803)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So today we'll see if the Healey owner did the right thing [by himself] to have turned down the £750,000 offer already made.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:18 (Ref:2993813)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
So today we'll see if the Healey owner did the right thing [by himself] to have turned down the £750,000 offer already made.
Arent we in a silent Global Financial Crisis right about now? You would have thought taking £750k in the hand is better than the risk of an auction
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2993818)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would have thought that to be the case,but there is still vast amounts [for the time being!] of money to be thrown at cars such as this. I think the owner is hoping to break all Healey records. Could pave the way for another 100S that is currently being rebuilt,again,a works car
Old 1 Dec 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2993833)   #6
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever I can afford that appeals to me .. and that will probably be one of the brochures !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... what are you hoping to bring home?
Old 1 Dec 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2994040)   #7
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£843,000 including buyers' premium as reported by Bonhams. So, the lucky vendor didn't catch a cold. I wonder what the reserve was (or, indeed, whether it really sold!!).
Old 1 Dec 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2994048)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Possibly the 750k he was offered originally Peter.All it needs now is another 100k on the restoration, hopefully carried out with some sympathy and not simply a 'renew everything' type.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2994052)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
so a hammer price of 765000
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2994065)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It will be much more than 100K to sort.

One other is available with a history at least as good as this one.

It will top 1 million.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2994069)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's gone to the Alps.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2994090)   #12
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Great day there and lots of fotos to upload.

I was not going to say anything but I bid £630,000.00 for the Healey !!!!

I was bidding on behalf of a friend of mine in the USA.

His tact was to keep totally quiet about it.

He would not go to more than £680,000.00, so I just waited to see what happened.

Found it quiet exilarating but also scary even though it was someone else's money.

Chis Evans wanted the lovely 1998 Rover Mini Cooper and bid circa £7600.

1998 Rover Mini Cooper Saloon
Registration no. S572 MGM
Chassis no. SAXXNNA2EWD153958
Engine no. 12A2LK70 363130
Sold for £8,625 inclusive of Buyer's Premium

In the second foto there is the Healey's vendor (centre) and the chief auctioneer (left).

'Barn Find' fresh from 42 years in single ownership, The Ex-Works, Le Mans 24-Hours, Sebring 12-Hours, Carrera PanAmericana and Bahamas Speed Week, Nassau
1953-55 Austin-Healey Special Test Car/100S Prototype Sports-Racing Two-Seater
Registration no. NOJ 393
Chassis no. SPL 226/B
Engine no. SPL 261-BN
Sold for £843,000 inclusive of Buyer's Premium
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03234R.JPG   DSC03256R.JPG  

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 1 Dec 2011 at 20:11.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2994195)   #13
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
- Found it quite exilarating
Old 2 Dec 2011, 06:33 (Ref:2994250)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's gone to the Alps.

Could I guess who the owner is John?
I know the Flockhart car is being restored,the car that hit a bridge parapet and ended up in the river below
Old 2 Dec 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2994338)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Doubt it !

Understand it now lives in Europe.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2994380)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Doubt it !

Understand it now lives in Europe.

The ex MD car from 67?
Old 3 Dec 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2994618)   #17
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Here's the link to all my photos.

All 191 ...

They are all stunning cars with so much history behind them.

Enjoy ..

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/o...cember%20Sale/

PS. See if you can spot some well known faces - No prizes though!! ...

Sorry

PPS. Weird how some of the long titles get mixed-up when using the slideshow whereas viewed individually they read fine ...

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 3 Dec 2011 at 01:47.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 01:54 (Ref:2994631)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Sunbeam seems to be decent buy but is/was the engine rebuilt?

It's tough world for the Auction Houses.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 01:57 (Ref:2994633)   #19
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Here's a taster or two
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03050BR.JPG   DSC03055BR.JPG   DSC03180BR.JPG  

DSC03197BR.JPG   DSC03044R.JPG   DSC03116BR.JPG  

Old 3 Dec 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2994635)   #20
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hiya John,

According to the brochure " In 2009 it was subject to a complete top-end rebuild and was fitted with new Arias pistons by marque expert Jim Catnach, since when it has been carefully run-in. The bottom end has a nickel chromium crankshaft fitted with shell bearings and retains excellent oil pressure "

Quote:
Sunbeam seems to be decent buy but is/was the engine rebuilt?

Old 3 Dec 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2994637)   #21
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
I am off to bed. Nite all
Old 3 Dec 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2994673)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's a tough world for all of us.

On the bright side, even if margins are being squeezed, if you're taking commissions on £750,000 in actual cash terms that's a substantial amount of money. What with buyer's premium and seller's commission, it appears to be heads I win, tails you lose.

They'll survive, and if they don't, then they don't deserve to.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2994686)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The competition is quite fierce with auction houses with a few new ones springing up lately. However there seems to be enough entries. Unless it is one of the premier auctions of the year they go with a headline or two and the others are 'just' nice cars.

The F40 looked cheap. Presumably people were put off by the, albeit repaired, accident damage. Seemed good to me, buy that and a new 458 (undamaged!) looks like a decent 'comprimise'.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2994710)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
so a hammer price of 765000
So... all the stress of that an auction brings... to make 15k more? And everyone knows about it... or was that the point?

At least the car found a new home... may not have been so joyful had it been passed in
Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2994726)   #25
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Know what you mean...

If I had been offered three quarters of a million for a car like that, I would have taken the money and RUN.

Most cars were only just fetching the lowest prices quoted in the brochure so it's certainly a buyer's market and quite a few were unsold.

See: http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...&iSaleNo=19293

BUT we were talking about the auction afterwards and prices may well drop further so people might not have such a good investment.

I am amazed at the small fortunes people spend on restoring some cars with no hope of ever getting their money back when selling.

Still if it wasn't for moneyed enthusiasts very few of these cars would exist today !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... all the stress of that an auction brings... to make 15k more? And everyone knows about it... or was that the point?

At least the car found a new home... may not have been so joyful had it been passed in

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 3 Dec 2011 at 10:14.