Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 May 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3076156)   #76
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Holden to announce export of the Commodore to U.S. as Chevrolet SS: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the Commodore, which will see the Adelaide [Australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the United States. Though sales of the Elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in Australia, a Commodore V8 will be exported to America where it will be sold with the Chevrolet SS Performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the NASCAR stock car racing series, which runs second only to Formula One in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in Victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the Dodge Charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the USA hint that an announcement of the Chevrolet SS program is imminent, including the Holden connection. The coming VF Commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for American muscle car fans, and NASCAR stock car racing as well, thanks to its V8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former GM Holden president Mark Reuss, now the head of GM operations in the US and a known fan and supporter of the Commodore, dodged Carsguide's questions on a link between the SS program and the Commodore. Holden chairman Mike Devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the US, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012).
Not that it matters, but it is my understanding that this will be a civilian version of the PPV, which is a Caprice not a Commodore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So the Impala will have an even bigger sister? That's ridiculous, as if the Malibu was that small.
The current Impala is larger than a Commodore and roughly the same size as a Caprice. Both the Commodore and 'bu are mid-size cars.
Old 18 May 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3076265)   #77
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The shortest Commodore is 4,90 meters long. That's huge! The Seat Toledo I was half a meter shorter and had a huge boot.
Old 19 May 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3076287)   #78
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The last time Holden exported the Commodore, we got it as the Pontiac G8.
So... can the Gm folk find it in their hearts to parachute an Aussie into the Aussie-made silhouette... like at Hendricks... Mr Ambrose could do soooo much better with a championship-experienced team around him...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 May 2012, 05:37 (Ref:3076297)   #79
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ambrose in a Holden? I don't think so.
Old 19 May 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3076326)   #80
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
He was in a Toyota, and if negotiations go well, maybe a Dodge in 2013... anything is possible
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 May 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3076502)   #81
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Um, I would like to see Jamie Whincup racing on ovals while Jimmie Johnson drive on road course, including Bathurst.

Man, if only NASCAR and V8 Supercars would collaborate...
Old 19 May 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3076504)   #82
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, true true. But, and this is a huge Kardashian sized butt...

Marcos did not grow up hating Toyota and Dodge with the intensity of an atomic firestorm
Old 22 May 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3077923)   #83
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
2013 Camry:
http://www.jayski.com/teams/toyota.htm
Old 22 May 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3078071)   #84
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The real Camry is so uncool that I can't claim that Nascar destroyed its looks.
Old 22 May 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3078072)   #85
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
If Chevy wanted to promote the SS, they should run it in SCCA WC or Conti Challenge, not here.
Old 23 May 2012, 01:25 (Ref:3078111)   #86
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm all for them running a car in both series but REALLY can't compare the exposure in one Cup event with a whole season in BOTH the Conti and WC. Half the time I couldn't find the WC races when it was still the Speed WC and I had my DVR looking for them during the week and the Conti challenge was even worse. No cable for the last 2 years so not sure when exactly they are on but I know at least one is aired WEEKS later and during the week at odd times. I love and search out sportscar/road racing, once listened to the entire N24 without seeing a single shot of the cars on track since the apartment network was too crappy to do both RLM and a german video feed, but when I can't find the series and was looking for them their exposure is less than zero.
Old 23 May 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3078136)   #87
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If Chevy wanted to promote the SS, they should run it in SCCA WC or Conti Challenge, not here.
You must not know how things work up here.
Old 23 May 2012, 05:55 (Ref:3078140)   #88
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Toyota looks like it's getting angry and is about to "transform" into a robot.

Old 23 May 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3078295)   #89
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm all for them running a car in both series but REALLY can't compare the exposure in one Cup event with a whole season in BOTH the Conti and WC.
I know, I know, just dreaming...
Old 26 May 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3079586)   #90
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
With Chevy moving to the Commodore from Down Under I understand Toyota is the only manufacturer who's building their road car version in the USA. How ironic...
Old 27 Jul 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3112306)   #91
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While it isn't Cup, the new Nationwide Chevrolet Camaro sure looks bloody awesome:

Ok ok, so I might be a tad biased having been a huge fan of Camaro pretty much all my life. But still... it's awesome!
Old 27 Jul 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3112309)   #92
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
if by awesome you mean horrible, then yeah i can agree.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3112450)   #93
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
While it isn't Cup, the new Nationwide Chevrolet Camaro sure looks bloody awesome:

Ok ok, so I might be a tad biased having been a huge fan of Camaro pretty much all my life. But still... it's awesome!
If only the rear is the same as the road car... Otherwise, this "Camaro" fails on the design list.

Maybe they should learn from other "Stock Car" series on how to design cars that look more closely to the road car... Y'know, the one from Brazil.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3112457)   #94
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
If only the rear is the same as the road car... Otherwise, this "Camaro" fails on the design list.

Maybe they should learn from other "Stock Car" series on how to design cars that look more closely to the road car... Y'know, the one from Brazil.
Right....

Old 28 Jul 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3112542)   #95
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
The Camaro looks good. It's a shame the spoiler on the left rear of the car is so big nowadays.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3112724)   #96
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
That isn't a Camaro. The proportions are all wrong. Chinese toy manufacturers can do better copies than Nascar.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3112747)   #97
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The NASCAR Camaro/Mustang/Challenger remind me of Kim Kardashian...

Yeah she has a pretty face, but that butt is too damn fat!
Old 28 Jul 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3112819)   #98
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The NASCAR Camaro/Mustang/Challenger remind me of Kim Kardashian...

Yeah she has a pretty face, but that butt is too damn fat!

"I like big butts and I cannot lie..."

Anyways, same old "stockcar" with ridiculous splitters and spoilers, fake lights and a fugly grill. Lipstick on a pig, if you ask me.
Old 28 Jul 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3112831)   #99
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post

Looks like a plastic ride for 2 year olds in the kiddie sections of theme parks.
Old 29 Jul 2012, 02:52 (Ref:3113001)   #100
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay

Yeah, almost the same.