Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Sep 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3138591)   #126
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Nope , not wrong at all , but ..... 700hp , get rid of thet ugly vertical fin , and instead of making the cars look aerodynamically silly , reintroduce ground effects .

Widen the cockpit glass area to give them a more pleasing look too ...... full width rear wing . Whatcha think ?

Oh , and I see Jonny Kane might be joining your car for PLM too , excellant choice !!!
This!

Chris

Ps maybe even more than 700hp. How about 900hp, 900kg?
Old 19 Sep 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3138603)   #127
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Ps maybe even more than 700hp. How about 900hp, 900kg?
Yep, there is nothing ever really wrong about more power, IMHO.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3138666)   #128
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Nope , not wrong at all , but ..... 700hp , get rid of thet ugly vertical fin , and instead of making the cars look aerodynamically silly , reintroduce ground effects .

Widen the cockpit glass area to give them a more pleasing look too ...... full width rear wing . Whatcha think ?

Oh , and I see Jonny Kane might be joining your car for PLM too , excellant choice !!!
Sounds familiar... Oh yes, this was the formula during sportscars most successful times. It has to be that low slung wing from 10 years ago too.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3138671)   #129
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy S View Post
So even P2 would be better than DP for the top class, but I want wide wings soft tires and 700HP and I am sure as fans that's what you want to see not slow box shaped cars buzzing around? Or am I wrong?
No, you are exactly right. What draws you to sportscars and your preference of LMP over DPs is exactly the same for the fans. No offense, but I love cars and that's the main reason I follow sportscar racing. Good racing is an added bonus. I want to see exciting and exotic machinery that makes me feel like little kid again when I'm at the track.

Also I am tired of sanctioning bodies neutering race cars. I absolutely do not want to sacrifice safety, but when I can buy a street car that will out run its GT counterpart in a strait line something is wrong.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3138679)   #130
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Sounds familiar... Oh yes, this was the formula during sportscars most successful times. It has to be that low slung wing from 10 years ago too.
Love the low-wing, a la V12 LMR and some 962s and the like. I also like the low-slung integrated wing like the Nissan NPTI cars and Dyson-Porsche 962DR.

Chris
Old 19 Sep 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3138702)   #131
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Before this thread turns into another wishlist, I hope that Dyson can get on top of their hybrid system and be very competitive come PLM.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3138760)   #132
JoeMaters
Racer

JoeMaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holly sht, Guy here in the flesh. Who called a 24H LeMans winner with Bentley, amateur? I laugh hard at that ignorant comment. Glad to see another pro joining the discussion and good luck on Petit!!
Old 20 Sep 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3139077)   #133
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMaters View Post
Holly sht, Guy here in the flesh. Who called a 24H LeMans winner with Bentley, amateur? I laugh hard at that ignorant comment. Glad to see another pro joining the discussion and good luck on Petit!!
Wait, Dyson ran a Bentley at Le Mans and won with it? That's news to me

(nobody called Guy amateur, it was about the team. I don't agree with the comment, but I wanted to clear that up)
Old 20 Sep 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3139135)   #134
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sometimes feel sad at the prejudice and hate towards DPs. Yes its not high tech, yes, its not particularly fast compared to its other sport prototype peers, but I appreciate what it brought to the table. I never saw Grand-Am race coverage before until recently (I saw ALMS highlights in cable TV in the past), and this may sound heresy to the purists in here but I love it too.

I guess not living in the US or Europe helped me realize that as long as its racing, I'm all for it. Only a few of us will be as privileged as Guy Smith, but hating stuff just ain't healthy in my book. I do have my own personal tastes, but I also realized that we should also get off our high horse.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3139229)   #135
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think some of the "hatred" is based on the fear that DPs might suqeeze out proper prototypes in the new series---surely you don't hate some guy you met briefly at a party, but if you have good reason to think he intends to murder your best friend...

If it were not the possibility of an "either/or" I doubt such strong emotions would be evinced.

I also watch both series btw ... and I also understand that while DPs do race, they do not do so in the classic tradition of sports cars, where excellence, engineering, and innovation have always been essential parts.

I have nothing against spec Maita racing, but it doesn't do much for me.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3139237)   #136
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I have nothing against spec Maita racing, but it doesn't do much for me.
It's shame, cuz you would have seen a great MX5 Cup at VIR this weekend. 6 cars swapping the lead for 45 minutes, 3 wide into turn 1, and some great drives from the back of the field. You have no pulse.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3139699)   #137
JoeMaters
Racer

JoeMaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Wait, Dyson ran a Bentley at Le Mans and won with it? That's news to me

(nobody called Guy amateur, it was about the team. I don't agree with the comment, but I wanted to clear that up)
My apologies there mate. English as a second langue and a little fail in reading comprehencion by my part....
Old 22 Sep 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3139771)   #138
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8X...&feature=g-u-u
Excellent, the race is on youtube now. Very handy for me because I missed the race (was volunteering at a fish pond that day)
Old 22 Sep 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3140012)   #139
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the link.

After the first couple races I saw from VIR, I came to think of the track as the bigger, older brother to Road Atlanta. There are a number of similarities in the layout features and sequencing around the lap. The placement of the straights, the esses, and that drop down to that double-turn at the far end of the track come to mind.

I disagree with Greg in his calling the track "sketchy" for these cars. I would say that the track edges in some place could use some work. And no, VIR is NOT narrower than other tracks the series runs on. Since they completely rebuilt the place in 1998-2000, it should be 30ft wide the whole way around, which is what you see at Road America or Road Atlanta, along with several others in North America.

As for the traffic, VIR exposed, perhaps more than any other track on the calendar, the lack of differentiation in horsepower between the current classes. It's only around 150-hp between the least and the most powerful cars on the grid. With the 2006-2010 LMP1/2s, the difference was more like 250-300-hp.

Last edited by Purist; 22 Sep 2012 at 17:53.