Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3146480)   #1
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Defacing Bathurst History - Digital Tobacco Sponsorship Removal

I watched the beginning fo the 1pm telecast from Bathurst today, and was flabbergasted that all of the cars with tobacco sponsorship had been subjected to the most budget action digital blurring to make it unreadable.

Have we gone so politically correct mad that we need to remove things from history simply because they no longer apply in the current day?

I'm not a smoker, never have been, and personally couldn't care less if it was banned, but I don't think that this style of censorship is justified in any way, shape or form, and quite frankly whomever made the decision to go to so much trouble to so badly edit these historical images needs a good smack in the chops.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3146484)   #2
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
lol I agree.

it makes T888 retro look pretty boring and wannabe-ish. Brocks other livery (mock up one) in the Bathurst thread looked way cooler.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3146489)   #3
lala1980
Rookie

lala1980 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree guys. A brilliant opener by Ch7 with the gloss taken off by a stupid law
Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3146493)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
I watched the beginning fo the 1pm telecast from Bathurst today, and was flabbergasted that all of the cars with tobacco sponsorship had been subjected to the most budget action digital blurring to make it unreadable.

Have we gone so politically correct mad that we need to remove things from history simply because they no longer apply in the current day?

I'm not a smoker, never have been, and personally couldn't care less if it was banned, but I don't think that this style of censorship is justified in any way, shape or form, and quite frankly whomever made the decision to go to so much trouble to so badly edit these historical images needs a good smack in the chops.

I agree 100%, I was thinking the same thoughts when I watched it, really Ch7 should hold the head in shame least it is a legal thing.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3146497)   #5
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would they do the same to old Bogart and James Dean movies.... what about 007??

then we could also turn to old League coverage.......

what a crock.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3146508)   #6
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear lord.... Nicola Roxon - You deserve a HUGE uppercut!!!

As a custodian of history, it frustrates me that soon we will not be able to refer to the "Winfield Cup" or the "Benson and Hedges World Series", we will need to change ownership logs of Marlboro HDT Commodores, purely because it 'may' expose children to smoking.

I can see it now - All movies and TV series prior to 2000 which has smoking involved will either be banned or have to be altered.

When will the thought police of the communist party go into football clubs and into historic motor racers and scratch off the evil that is tobacco? Will those selling Marlboro/Winfield decals on e-bay need to pay a hefty tax for trying to provide a solution to over sanitised 1:18th models? What next - Could I sue my parents for smoking in my back yard when I was a child??

Absolutely 110% wrong, Roxon. Pull your head out of your arse.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3146509)   #7
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have to with the way the footage is used most likely. Another odd one was when I saw the Group C and A cars at the grand prix they had to rip the tobacco logos off but everywhere else they have them on.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3146521)   #8
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely disgusting. This is the first time I have noticed it being edited in old footage. When did this legislation come into effect?
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3146523)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Absolutely disgusting. This is the first time I have noticed it being edited in old footage. When did this legislation come into effect?
Start of 1995 or 1996?
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3146525)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Considering it wan't altered only two weeks ago on V8 Xtra, I am not sure that there is any such legislation.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3146527)   #11
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was what I thought Chavez, so if there is no new legislation then it may be a Channel 7 thing perhaps?
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3146528)   #12
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
On a highlight clip on 7mate 5min ago they showed all the ciggie advetising on the cars.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3146529)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On track, there was no 'enhancement' of the logos off the cars

Thats a bloody joke!

I bet however that there is some legislation that makes such things mandatory.

Annoys me also that you cant buy the model cars of the era which had tobacco branding with all the logos intact

Last time I looked i can make the choice as to whether I want a car with or without tobacco branding, and the likes of Federal MP Ms Roxon should not be able to make that decision on my behalf.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3146536)   #14
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
Oh dear lord.... Nicola Roxon - You deserve a HUGE uppercut!!!

As a custodian of history, it frustrates me that soon we will not be able to refer to the "Winfield Cup" or the "Benson and Hedges World Series", we will need to change ownership logs of Marlboro HDT Commodores, purely because it 'may' expose children to smoking.

I can see it now - All movies and TV series prior to 2000 which has smoking involved will either be banned or have to be altered.

When will the thought police of the communist party go into football clubs and into historic motor racers and scratch off the evil that is tobacco? Will those selling Marlboro/Winfield decals on e-bay need to pay a hefty tax for trying to provide a solution to over sanitised 1:18th models? What next - Could I sue my parents for smoking in my back yard when I was a child??

Absolutely 110% wrong, Roxon. Pull your head out of your arse.
It's worth noting, these are the same arse-hats (Labor - specifically Conroy/Roxon) that decided the following were admirable policies:
- Mandatory internet filtering.
- Mandatory ISP data retention (subscriber access logs; for periods up to two years).
- Warrantless surveillance (concerning the above).

Seems it's a rare occasion that policy proposed by both major camps isn't presented under the guise of 'protecting the children.' I'm surprised we're still able to publicly converse with one another.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 5 Oct 2012 at 10:48.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3146562)   #15
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it actually draws more attention to the particular cigarette company, than if it had just been left alone. A little ironic, I think.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3146569)   #16
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I couldnt believe this when I saw this on the intro to the Bathurst coverage on 7mate tonight. Im disgusted, this is just unbelievablely stupid and narrow minded and it just shows how out of touch the people who make these laws really are.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3146575)   #17
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just goes to show that there is not a lot to talk about the weekend so far if this is a problem.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3146579)   #18
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Camel Filters signage on the Moffat cars went unaltered.

Kind of jarring to see tobacco sponsorship on racing cars again, you forget there was a time when you could advertise it like it was any other product that's legally available for sale
Old 5 Oct 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3146794)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I agree with all of this 100%.

History shouldn't be tampered with.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3146800)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Just goes to show that there is not a lot to talk about the weekend so far if this is a problem.
It may not be for you, but that doesn't render it an unimportant issue that others shouldn't discuss. I can actually see it having potentially far-reaching consequences if others elsewhere take up this idiocy.....
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3146813)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They did what?! oh dear, how pathetic.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3146824)   #22
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They did what?! oh dear, how pathetic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WVA_-oWR4W4
Old 5 Oct 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3146835)   #23
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is law that was passed by Government, No cigarette advertising. It is no different to F1 and the cars not running Cigarette advertising. What I was saying is it is a legal requirement of this Country, NO CIGARETTE ADVERTISING.
To a few people having the names removed, if that is important to you, OK, but until the LAW is changed (it wont be) that is it. Live with it. Is it not better to see the car with the advertising covered than not see the car at all.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3146836)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
How is it advertising if the car isn't competing and is just used for historical significance?
Old 5 Oct 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3146840)   #25
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Sigh*

While I may detest cigarettes and smoking, this all seems to be one of those "Oh no, this part of history is not politically correct so we need to hide it" moments...