Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3168966)   #1
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Career in sportscar racing.

If you were starting out and wished to make a career driving sportscars where would you start?

Would you go the single seater route until you could go no further and then transfer to sportscars or would you start there right away?

If you did not do single seaters what series would you suggest? Ginettas? Caterhams? Sports 2000?

Where to next? Speed series? VdeV? British GT?
Old 20 Nov 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3169085)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
How rich are you???
Simon Dolan wanted to drive at Le Mans. He was taken on a 5 year journey by Jota, at his expense, working up in different GT categories till they raced an Aston Vantage in 2011, followed by the Zytek LMP2 this year. I believe he still wants to run an LMP1.
It's not a career, but that's one path!
Old 20 Nov 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3169103)   #3
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedisc View Post
If you were starting out and wished to make a career driving sportscars where would you start?

Would you go the single seater route until you could go no further and then transfer to sportscars or would you start there right away?

If you did not do single seaters what series would you suggest? Ginettas? Caterhams? Sports 2000?

Where to next? Speed series? VdeV? British GT?
I imagine Radicals would be a good start if you were wanting to go into prototypes.
Old 21 Nov 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3169260)   #4
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drive anything anyone will let you drive, or in which you can rent a ride.

The more experience you have with different vehicles, the more able you will be to adapt to whatever comes along. The more you learn about driving in general, the more you will bring to the table when the money talk starts.

I look at U.S. IMSA Lites champ Tristan Nunez who always wanted to do sports cars but started in carts and single seaters until he got a ride with a sports car team. After winning 10 of 12 races in a prototype, he went to England and won the Walter Hayes trophy ahead of 120 Formula Ford racers.

He has said his greatest strength is his ability to adapt--new cars, new conditions, he has driven enough different things that he can figure out what will work and what won't and go fast in whatever.

Plus the more hours behind the wheel and in competition, the better.

Of course, I am challenged even driving to the store in my aging Honda, so taking my opinion on driving might not be wise.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3169824)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Of course, I am challenged even driving to the store in my aging Honda, so taking my opinion on driving might not be wise.

There's the giveaway my friend, you should always drive to the store in a BMW M3.......
Old 22 Nov 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3169864)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
there was a series of programmes taking budding gt racers and outting them through a series of challenges before the winner got a seat in a nissan gt, if you have the talent you could try that route, but almost all other routes will require cash and funding from somewear, cheapest routes will be with ginetta's
Old 22 Nov 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3169922)   #7
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how do you build a career in sportscar racing if you're not a driver?

I'm thinking the support categories, for a team or organizing organizations, etc.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3170120)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
best way is to pick something always in demand but not glamorous, like tyres, catering or logistics, always needed but never really seen, each team needs people so large numbers involved so plenty of possibilities
Old 23 Nov 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3170151)   #9
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all the input.

It is not for me but for a youngster I know.

I have always told drivers that single seaters is the place to learn your craft and then when the bubble bursts, cash or talent, you can do quite well moving to sportscars. This youngster does not like single seaters and so far has done very well in the car series he has driven in. The next move is going to be a difficult call because of the cost element in going from family run to proffesional team.

I know that Ginettas have been looked at but where is the future there? Mark Davies who has won the G20, G40 and G50 championships is still scratching about looking for drives. £££££ all the way. If you have the pounds Ginetta will find a way for you to spend them.

Radicals? Similar problem ££££££s and where does it lead too?

One of the Porsche series seems an option as it appears quite a few youngsters are getting a helping hand from Porsche. Suggestions?

Sadly it looks like the one make route is the best option to prove you have driving ability as British GT, Speed series, VdeV all throw up the problem of finding the right car at the right moment and with the right team.
Old 23 Nov 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3170250)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a young hotshoe another way seems to find a novice Gentleman driver and become their coach/team-mate and follow them up the ladder. (For Example Jonny Cocker and Lord Drayson went from British GT upto LMP1)