Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

View Poll Results: What do you rate this year's Rolex 24 at Daytona?
10 2 1.38%
9 6 4.14%
8 13 8.97%
7 37 25.52%
6 24 16.55%
5 22 15.17%
4 15 10.34%
3 17 11.72%
2 4 2.76%
1 5 3.45%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3364938)   #201
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Only if you consider a 500 mile oval "race" with a gwc finish endurance racing they wouldn't recognize the others.
How is an oval race not a race?

I'd love to hear your ignorance on this.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3364941)   #202
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Fake debris cautions in every event sort of take the "race" part out of it.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3364942)   #203
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He might be referring to the amount of stage-management that goes into a NASCAR race.

Shoot, I don't watch NASCAR races anymore ... I watch the "final period" of NASCAR "races," the final 20-minute "period" of which includes (usually) three restarts, a couple of major strategy decisions, and then another couple restarts for the GWC.

Why watch all the rest when everything is going to be reworked thanks to heavy-handed officiating and (what I consider to be) silly rules?
Old 6 Feb 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3364957)   #204
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well if you consider the Bathurst 1000km to be an enduro, Daytona is only 121 miles less. and the V8SC use co-drivers for that distance.

As far as the actual racing goes, i think the management of it is seen by the rules to create "THE PACK". Plus the "omg there's a hot dog wrapper on the track, near the infield grass, we need a yellow flag!" to reset the PACK and increase the chance of there being a wreck -which the casual audience who watches NASCAR wants to see. NASCAR isn't interested in the actual racing, but rather creating a good show for the people who don't care about the racing.

And that's why that caution at 23:30 is so damning to those of us who want to see sportscar racing and not sportscar entertainment.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3365006)   #205
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

The oval part is fine - it's the gwc or manufactured finish that makes it a "race", just like the Rolex.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3365077)   #206
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
well if you consider the Bathurst 1000km to be an enduro, Daytona is only 121 miles less. and the V8SC use co-drivers for that distance.
Charlotte in May is only 21 miles shorter.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 01:30 (Ref:3365915)   #207
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is some good news. The 9 pm - 7 am portion of the Dayton 24 is on the TUSK youtube channel now.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3366083)   #208
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched most of Bathurst 12hr live.
Amazing - from the farthest place from me on earth I just saw great racing from a great field with better streaming, camera work, announcing and marshalling than what was supposedly a more major event in my own country. If it wasn't such a miserable trip and so hot there I'd go in a flash!
Wow!
Old 9 Feb 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3366086)   #209
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
He might be referring to the amount of stage-management that goes into a NASCAR race.

Shoot, I don't watch NASCAR races anymore ... I watch the "final period" of NASCAR "races," the final 20-minute "period" of which includes (usually) three restarts, a couple of major strategy decisions, and then another couple restarts for the GWC.

Why watch all the rest when everything is going to be reworked thanks to heavy-handed officiating and (what I consider to be) silly rules?
Yeah, it's the same concept as "you only need to watch the last two minutes of an NBA game"....
Old 9 Feb 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3366096)   #210
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Just watched most of Bathurst 12hr live.
Amazing - from the farthest place from me on earth I just saw great racing from a great field with better streaming, camera work, announcing and marshalling than what was supposedly a more major event in my own country. If it wasn't such a miserable trip and so hot there I'd go in a flash!
Wow!
I know man that was awesome, and quite depressing when comparing it to tusk but still an incredible race. Screw the trip I can handle the heat, I just wish I had the money to get there!lol
Old 9 Feb 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3366110)   #211
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I know man that was awesome, and quite depressing when comparing it to tusk but still an incredible race. Screw the trip I can handle the heat, I just wish I had the money to get there!lol
Bathurst was great! Unfortunately it appears to use some sort of Lap down wave around similar to what is used in TUSC, which detracted from the race a little.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3366117)   #212
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post

As far as the actual racing goes, i think the management of it is seen by the rules to create "THE PACK". Plus the "omg there's a hot dog wrapper on the track, near the infield grass, we need a yellow flag!" to reset the PACK and increase the chance of there being a wreck -which the casual audience who watches NASCAR wants to see. NASCAR isn't interested in the actual racing, but rather creating a good show for the people who don't care about the racing.

And that's why that caution at 23:30 is so damning to those of us who want to see sportscar racing and not sportscar entertainment.
Amen!
Old 9 Feb 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3366155)   #213
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am not clear on the lap-down-waveby rule used at Bathurst---it seemed to be a normal wave-0by of cars ahead of the safety car but behind the class leader---the waved-by cars were then allowed to pit.

I don't think it was a free lap for every car a lap or more down---but it was a free pit stop for any car ahead of the class leader when the safety car came out.

I am not positive on what the exact rule is; I have to suspend judgment until I get some facts. (Wait---did I just say that?)

Just kidding.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3366166)   #214
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I am not clear on the lap-down-waveby rule used at Bathurst---it seemed to be a normal wave-0by of cars ahead of the safety car but behind the class leader---the waved-by cars were then allowed to pit.

I don't think it was a free lap for every car a lap or more down---but it was a free pit stop for any car ahead of the class leader when the safety car came out.

I am not positive on what the exact rule is; I have to suspend judgment until I get some facts. (Wait---did I just say that?)

Just kidding.
What helped the #88 and #84 more than anything to get their laps back were the exit of the #1 from the race to the podium and the pro/am driver line-ups on the other contenders.

Had the #1 lasted they'd probably cruised to victory, putting a lap on the Macca before SVG could get back into it.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3366190)   #215
Maelochs
Veteran

"What helped the #88 and #84 more than anything to get their laps back were the exit of the #1 from the race to the podium and the pro/am driver line-ups on the other contenders. Had the #1 lasted they'd probably cruised to victory, putting a lap on the Macca before SVG could get back into it."

Yup. You are entirely right---which is why that actually race the whole distance.

If the #63 hadn't hit a 'roo it would have been even stronger at the end. And as well as Greg Crick did, might a stronger driver have done more?

If the McLaren had one more really fast driver, SVG might have been a lot closer for his final stint---in fact, if VIP had shuffled the driver lineup and used different strategy, instead of burning out the car for two hours to take the lead--only to give it right back in the pits--SVG might have had more car to fight with at the end.

Or if the McLaren crew had swapped front pads like the HTP Merc did---

All that can be debated, but you run who you brung and however you run it.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3366223)   #216
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comparing Bathurst to Daytona? You can't do that Bathurst has too much of an unfair advantage. They have GT cars only without the DP or LMPC cars filling up space, no IMSA/NASCAR officiating, and Hindy at the mic.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3366224)   #217
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Comparing Bathurst to Daytona? You can't do that Bathurst has too much of an unfair advantage. They have GT cars only without the DP or LMPC cars filling up space, no IMSA/NASCAR officiating, and Hindy at the mic.
And a better circuit...
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3366290)   #218
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
And a better circuit...
Agreed on the circuit part. The more I think about that race the more it always comes back to the fact that Daytona is just not a sports car circuit. It is a track that favors high HP cars that are set up well over driving talent and quality chassis.