Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Apr 2003, 11:59 (Ref:559912)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kato Condition Update

Quote:
MotoGP officials have offered the following latest information about the accident suffered by Daijiro Kato during today's Japanese Grand Prix, at Suzuka, and his current condition.
"We don't know what caused the crash, but what we all know is that it was in the braking zone approaching the chicane," explained Race Director Paul Butler.

"There are no marks on the track and, as we always do in these cases, we have reviewed the video evidence from the live television feed and the closed circuit cameras but frankly we are none the wiser to what caused this very tragic accident to happen. This accident could have occurred at any circuit in the world.

"I would like to add that we are all thinking about Kato-san at this time and our sincere thoughts go out to his family, friends and team."

"The first news we received from the medical team on the track was that Kato's heart had stopped, and he was unconscious," added Medical Director Claudio Macchiagodena. "Only fast action in the ambulance to resuscitate his heart gave him the chance to fight for his life, and when he arrived at the hospital he was in a slightly improved condition.

"There is no diagnosis in this situation, only the intention to save Kato's life. The hospital scans confirmed serious injuries to his head, chest and neck," warned Macchiagodena. "He is now in intensive care fighting for his life."
I'll be up all night so I will try and keep you posted on any developments.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 12:40 (Ref:559925)   #2
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had such a bad feeling when i saw that.

I'm really worried about that little guy

*trying to be positive!!
Old 6 Apr 2003, 12:49 (Ref:559928)   #3
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I sure hope that he will get through this!!
It would be a real shame if he died.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 14:20 (Ref:559973)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Eurosport News reported earlier today that he had a 15% chance of survival . Not good news at all.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 14:23 (Ref:559976)   #5
asha
Veteran

okay, i've lifted all this from colin edwards' site messageboard.
http://www.colinedwardsii.com/phorum...&i=9343&t=9343

Cyclenews.com....

Dr. Claudio Macchiagodena, the Clinica Mobile medical director, described the immediate aftermath of the accident.

“Immediately when the incident happened, the medical personnel on the track informed me that it was a very serious incident, that Kato was unconscious and in coma, and immediately he was transported to ambulance.

“Reanimation maneuvers for cardiovascular have been performed in the ambulance and immediately when he has arrived at the medical center they have continued with this rehabilitation. What they realized at the medical center, both the Japanese crew and the Clinica Mobile crew, is that it was absolutely serious, very, very serious and only very fast action for rehabilitation and recovering the beating of the heart, only the fast action allowed the recovery of this heart beating.”

After being stabilized at the infield medical care center. Kato was flown by helicopter to Mie Medical Center in nearby Yokkaichi.

“In this kind of circumstance there’s no diagnosis, there’s only the intention of saving the life of the patient. What he can say is today this was successful in saving the life of the patient at the hospital and when he was transported to the hospital his health condition were improved from what he had when he arrived at the medical center.

“Once Kato was transported to the hospital, confirmation about the first impression at the medical center on the circuit about the serious injuries of the head and the chest and the neck were confirmed by the scans at the hospital. Everything was confirmed about the serious of his condition and now Kato remains in intensive care and he’s fighting for his life.

“The medical forecast is always difficult always to say but we all know what happens with riders and they have used us to give surprise and maybe this is also the case, but the situation is that right now Kato is fighting for his life,” Macchiagodena said, adding that he would try to provide updates if there was a change in Kato’s condition.

The crash was at least the second serious crash of the weekend at a circuit that came under fire from both World Champion Valentino Rossi and former World Champion Kenny Roberts Jr. Fortuna Yamaha’s Marco Melandri broke his right ankle in two places and chipped his femur in a practice crash on Friday. Rossi said he was going to write a letter to the series safety director asking that the corner where Melandri crashed, which was not where Kato fell, be altered'

--------------

Team Suzuki’s John Hopkins and Kenny Roberts Jr. were both frustrated, some the reasons the same, some different. Of the two, Roberts Jr. had the greater grievance, the former world champion railing at the safety of the Suzuka Circuit.

There were a number of serious crashes this weekend, the worst suffered by Telefonica MoviStar Honda’s Daijiro in front of Roberts Jr. during the MotoGP final. For unknown reasons, Kato crashed into the wall to the left of the entrance into the chicane. Dr. Claudio Costa, the head of the Clinica Mobile, said that Kato’s heart stopped and his breathing stopped as soon as he hit the wall. He had a heart massage on the spot and his heart was beating when he reached the infield care center. Costa said his reflexes were feeble, a sign of severe head trauma. Kato was airlifted to Mie Medical Center in nearby Yokkaichi where he was undergoing further treatment.

“Basically, somebody needs to get fired over this or somebody needs to get their ass kicked, because everybody that’s crashed this weekend has hit a wall,” he said after finishing 14th, one spot behind his teammate. “And you can’t say any particular place. You just to say everywhere.”

The new Suzuki has shown itself to be down on power and Roberts Jr. felt threatened by the number of riders passing him at speed. In addition, he was finding a false neutral coming onto the straightaways.

“Sete (Gibernau) outbroke me down the back straight corner and when him and I were coming out I saw Kato’s bike just go directly left into the wall which is a meter and half” off the track surface, Roberts Jr. said. “Basically when him and the bike hit the wall they just started continually like cartwheeling into the wall. And then his f&*%ing body came back across the track, more than three-quarters of the way back onto the track. And I’m trying to brake as hard as I can and move to the right, which is the inside of the chicane, to avoid his body. And the race should’ve been stopped. They just picked him up and threw him on a stretcher which is typical around here.

“Today was a total disgrace. Today, the last three days of us testing here and the guys getting hurt here is just wasting people. It’s just a joke. And that’s all I got to say,” he added.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 14:26 (Ref:559979)   #6
asha
Veteran

Times like these, i really miss Barry Sheene
Old 6 Apr 2003, 14:45 (Ref:559993)   #7
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's awful. I tuned in this morning hoping to see Daijiro win the race, and he was coming through nicely as well. I really really hope he can make it through this. I know he has a wife and a little toddler, and my thoughts are with them.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 15:04 (Ref:560017)   #8
elf Tyrrell
Rookie

elf Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just horrible
Old 6 Apr 2003, 15:27 (Ref:560057)   #9
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is terrible.....I hope to God he survives. The sport would be much poorer without him, by all accounts a lovely guy as well as a fantastic rider.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 15:45 (Ref:560072)   #10
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on Daijiro - you can get through this.

Old 6 Apr 2003, 16:43 (Ref:560140)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm nto a praying man, but I really hope he's okay. The aftermath looked nasty, we didn't see the actual crash but that may be a blessing. 15% doesn't sound good though.
Old 6 Apr 2003, 17:03 (Ref:560169)   #12
Winther
Racer

Maybe the quick reviving will help him later on?
I sure hope that he will make it, when was the last time we had a fatal accident in GP racing?
Old 6 Apr 2003, 17:08 (Ref:560173)   #13
asha
Veteran

Rossi had called the bend where Kato crashed "too dangerous" over the weekend.

The Italian said after the race: "[The win] is special for Honda and 25 points for me at the beginning of the championship is important. But after hearing about Kato nothing is very important.

"The victory means nothing at the moment and all our thoughts are with Kato-san."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...es/2921943.stm
Old 6 Apr 2003, 17:11 (Ref:560177)   #14
asha
Veteran

Hi to all
Today was not a happy day, wasn’t it? During the race we did not get what happened, just after we were told that Kato crashed badly and his conditions where serious......
This thing of Kato made me really sad. The race and all the rest is quite less important in these moments.
max

http://www.max-biaggi.com/english/ul....48Suzuk&cat=1
Old 6 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:560340)   #15
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very very sorry for what happened to Kato. I read that he will be quadrupledgic anyway if he survives(let's all pray to that). It has really been a black weekend for the entire motorsport: see Melandri, Alonso...

PS: I know I am cinical, but if it was Tamada or Seriwaki, I think all of us would be sorry then forget about it, but Kato was...is such a talent and I feel very sorry for the Japanese since they put their hope in Kato delivering that illusive riders championship
Old 6 Apr 2003, 20:33 (Ref:560604)   #16
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Winther
Maybe the quick reviving will help him later on?
I sure hope that he will make it, when was the last time we had a fatal accident in GP racing?
1994 at Hockenheim. Sidecar passanger Simon Prior died in a crash. Before than, in 1993 Jerez practice, a Japanese driver (don't remember his name) died when he hit a spectator on the track
Old 6 Apr 2003, 23:46 (Ref:560965)   #17
Winther
Racer

Oh ok a decade then...yeah I think I remember the Japanese now..was that in 500??
And Japanese...spooky.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 00:07 (Ref:560991)   #18
asha
Veteran

If anyone hears any news please post it here.. I can't find any new news this morning.. But they say "No News is good news" dont they?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 00:14 (Ref:560995)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They do, but... It wasn't when Dale Ernhardt's crash was followed by hours of silence.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 01:52 (Ref:561056)   #20
asha
Veteran

again this is from the Edwards site:

I saw this over on the MotoGP site on one of the bulletin boards and checked it on Gazetta dello Sport so would appear to be true. I was concerned about posting this withouthaving it verifed by another source but what is written below is consistant with the translation from the Italian sports newspaper.

It is very sad news indeed.

My thoughts are with Kato and his young family.

Author: omarja (---.fastres.net)
Date: 04-06-03 22:45

Hi to all.
I see from your posts that you don't know much about kato's condition
This is a sad sad day for motorcycling. Kato had a daughter just 10 days ago, and would be 26 tomorrow.
Here's the information I have been able to gather from the Italian press (I'm italian).
Kato's condition is very serious. He is now in deep coma. Dr Costa says there is only ONE hope of saving him... Costa says Kato has a 15% chance of survival. But the real bad news is that there was a problem between his first and second vertebrae and even if he does survive he will have lost the use of his legs, arms and even breathing.. he won't be able to breathe by himself and will need a respirator at all times. He will be paralyzed from the neck down.
About his crash not much is known. There is no video. Gibernau is the only pilot to see him. Here's what he had to say:
"I broke something on my bike at the start and stopped at the pits to fix it. When I got back in the track I found myself behind Kato. I was right behind him and I was going about 250kph and I saw him start his braking and change gears. In that place all riders follow the same line, right left right. Kato instead suddenly went left. I don't know why and even the telemetry doesn't say anything. I could not believe my eyes. I saw him go suddenly left and crash into the wall at more than 200kph and I think in 4th gear. I've never seen anything like this.
It's crazy to crash into a wall in 2003 as has happened to Melandri, Barros, Poggiali and Ukawa.. Cecchinello was lucky but he got really close to the guardrail at full speed in the straight. We can no longer race here at Suzuka and everyone has to understand this. I don't want to race here again. it would be crazy".

Also what we know is that Kato's helmet was broken in two places and he has blood at the base of his brain.
Dr Costa also said that when kato got there he had no heartbeat and wasn't breathing. They reanimated him and put him on a respirator. He was then airlifted to the hospital.
He also said that Kato's life depends on the next few hours. he had a "catetere" (I don't know the english translation for that) apllied to his leg artery to try and lower the blood temperature to 32-33 C° and thus avoid the risks of an "edema" (again don't know how to traslate it) that could be fatal.
The doctors also said he has multiple wounds all over his body and probably has more damaged bones although so far they have only been trying to take care of his head/brain and neck and the rest will come later if he survives.

Costa also said that Kato will indergo a therapy of "barbiturici" (again no translation) to reduce his brain activity and not stress the brain, and hypothermia.

And lastly about how this happened, but it's not confirmed yet... it appears some photographer noticed that his right front brake disc had the carbonium braking strip missing while the brake pump and left disc appeared to have no damage. So his brake was probably working on the left side only which mighy explain why he suddenly went left during braking. The bike in now in the custody of Dorna officials who will investigate the crash.

Well all I can say is good luck kato... we'll miss you.

Omar
http://www.colinedwardsii.com/phorum...&i=9386&t=9386
Old 7 Apr 2003, 02:37 (Ref:561078)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just awful.

Even as someone who's downright obsessive about preserving classic circuits, I have to admit, there are quite a few places at Suzuka where the Armco is just far too close to the track... And that slight right-hander between 130R and the chicane is one of them.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 04:09 (Ref:561119)   #22
asha
Veteran

i'm hearing unconfirmed reports that kato passed away

i can't tell you how devastated i am
Old 7 Apr 2003, 04:31 (Ref:561121)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is truly sad, when one of ours, may be fallen, his family and he is in my thoughts and heart.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 05:39 (Ref:561123)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I first saw the aftermath of the incident, my first words were, "oh no, oh no, oh no". It just looked absolutely horrific.

It is a terribly sad time here for motorsport. My thoughts are with Daijiro, his family and friends, and I am just distraught at this horrible news, whatever happens.

God speed, Daijiro.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 07:35 (Ref:561147)   #25
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its better they dont show the accident. The aftermath is sickening enough. I dont think I have seen a bike so badly smashed apart.

Condolences to his family, best wishes to Kato-san!