Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 8 Jan 2004, 03:32 (Ref:831170)   #1
Cameron H
Rookie

Cameron H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevron B45 F/A

I am currently researching the 1978 Chevron B45 Formula Atlantic and hope to pick your brains for any and all information. As far as I know 4 of these cars were built: chassis 001 went to South Africa, chassis 002 and 004 were delivered to Opert Racing and were driven by Rosberg and Elghe, and chassis 003 was delivered to somebody in California. At this point my history is a bit shady and I'm really looking to develop a better timeline of these cars. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

Cameron
Old 8 Jan 2004, 14:30 (Ref:831601)   #2
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
001 Tony Martin, burned out in fire in 1980s
002 Opert, Rosberg's regular car. Maybe sold to Japan and fitted with Nissan engine, if so the B45 trashed by Rothengatter at Macau, 1980.
003. Rick Shea Racing for various drivers in US. Probably sold in Japan, and could be the other candidate for the Rothegatter write off
004. Opert. Elgh/Galica/Rosberg [including Macau] 1979-80 Jim Crawford, then to Vin Malkie.

Only four built

Chris
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:17 (Ref:831767)   #3
Cameron H
Rookie

Thanks Chris. Given that two of the cars have been destroyed, 001 and either 002 or 003, do you know what happened to the other cars? I guess 004 is the only one that is known to still exist. Does Vin Malkie still have this car?

Cameron
Old 9 Jan 2004, 13:11 (Ref:832615)   #4
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Crawford B45 was a real star, especially when he fitted a 2-litre BDX in 1980. He whacked the Aurora F2 field that year, even winning outright at Oulton in the rain. At that time, though I'd been a big Jim fan from 74 on, he used to beat Kim Mather, who I went racing with, quite easily, so I didn't take too kindly to him !

I recall the 1980 Silverstone F2 race that year in June, Jim had the car really flying, outdated though it was. He was well in with the midfield, a great effort in a 2 year old non-ground effects car, and a less than powerful motor. I think he did a few continental races with the car after that, setting him up for a go at Euro F2 the next year. That Chevron was always beautifully turned out, a credit to Jim, his team, and the original design .
Old 9 Jan 2004, 23:21 (Ref:833117)   #5
jlcw
Rookie

jlcw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cameron,

I own the B45 Chevron FA chassis #4. I bought it in the UK some years ago and had it shipped over here. I am currently in the process of restoring the car to its original Atlantic trim. It has few Opert pieces on it, including some of the original bodywork, as well as the g'box spacer that Crawford and his engineer developed to move the engine forward and improve the handling (i.e. reduce the understeer).

Chris Townsend accurately describes the history of this chassis - which complements the info I obtained from Paul Owen of Chevron fame - though Chris has added some later info about the other tubs that I was not aware of - many thanks for that.

I have spoken several times with Vin Malkie as well as Jim Crawford before his untimely passing. Jim was very excited by the restoration project - and I had hoped that he might have an opportunity to drive the car again. He did put in some amazing drives in the car including a win in the wet at Oulton Park in the Aurora F1 (or AFX?) series, where he outclassed many more powerful cars.

As I piece together the car's more recent history I would be grateful if anyone could supply me with information about the car in the late 80s, early 90s.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10 Jan 2004, 17:11 (Ref:833635)   #6
Cameron H
Rookie

Dan = thanks for the story and memories of the Carwford era of B45-04

Jeff = I'm very excited to learn that one of these cars is still in existence and that you are restoring it to original spec. I also appreciate your additional information about the history of your car. As I understand you are unsure of the cars history between Malkie and yourself.

Cameron

Last edited by Cameron H; 10 Jan 2004 at 17:18.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 18:51 (Ref:833693)   #7
jlcw
Rookie

Yes Cameron some more info about this period of the car's history would be interesting. Obviously I know the person from whom I bought the car, but nothing about the owners between that time and the Vin Malkie days. When I bought it the car did sport blue/white bodywork and had non-factory side pods with tunnels - something I think that Jim Crawford and his engineer (Jim or John somebody? - help here needed)designed and manufactured. These were not fitted to the tub when I bought it, but I still have the pieces ofcourse. As I metnioed earlier the car also came with some characeristic Opert pieces including some bodywork. I do not intend to remount these side pods but rather keep it in its original Atlantic trim when it first raced in the US and Canada.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 15:49 (Ref:835504)   #8
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff, was th chap who modified it with Jim C called John Connell, or similar. I guess he was also ex-Chevron. Who did you buy it from, ISTR a chap over here called Duncan Gray had a few races in what was called a 'B45' in the mid-80s. Whether this was -04, or maybe a different Chevron entirely I don't know. Chris or Jeremy ???
Old 12 Jan 2004, 16:18 (Ref:835561)   #9
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gray's car was blue/white, but I don't recall sidepods. (I saw the car race in 1983, I think). Only saw it on track, not in a paddock so can't make any definite comment on it's ancestry.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:14 (Ref:836297)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Autocourse archives show only Rosberg in an Opert B45 during the 78 Atlantic series. Tom Gloy started out in a 77B for lane sports but was entered in a B45 by Lane Sports from round three for the rest of the season. What is also interesting is that although Opert entered B39's for Patrese and others at Trois Riveres that year neither Rosberg nor Gloy nor any other B45 is mentioned at that particular race yet rosberg returned to win the final round in Vancouver and gloy was placed, both in the B45's. was the gloy B45 one of the cars imported by Opert?
Ed swart is also contesting some Historic Club races on the West Coast of the US in 2003in a B45! Which B45 could this be? Jeff's is being restored so what is Ed driving?

Last edited by Teretonga; 13 Jan 2004 at 08:23.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:49 (Ref:836371)   #11
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
The Shea Racing B45
and the other Opert car.

Not in Autocourse, but courtesy of race reports in Competition Press and Autoweek; Formula; and NZ Motor Action

45-78-02 is probably Rosberg's regular car. Maybe only one B45 at Long Beach, Rosberg eliminated with engine failure on lap 1.
There is another "Chevron" finishes 25th in the hands of Page Roos [not Bertil who was 9th]. This might be the Shea car. Several B39s appear.
06 for James Crawley
08 for Galica
another Opert car for Elgh
what must be an ex Opert car [11?] for Bob Earl

Westwood
Rosberg 1st in Long Beach car
Shea 14th in a B45 so 03
Elgh retires with engine trouble in what must be 04

Quebec
Rosberg 1st
Elgh retires with overheating.
Incomplete results, so the Shea car may be in there!

Elkart Lake
Rosberg 7th, uses the Elgh car as spare
Bob Earl 20th [R. Accident] in a B45 so the shea car

Lime Rock
Rosberg races Elgh's regular car [04] 4th
No other Opert runners?
Again incomplete results here

Hamilton
Rosberg 1st in regular car
Galica 5th in Elgh's car
No sign of the Shea B45

Trois Rivieres
Merzario an Opert B45 [11th]
PAtrese an Opert B45 [R on warm up lap]
No sign of the Shea car but results only to 20th

Quebec City
Tom Gloy 8th in Shea car
Richard Spenard has first race of year in Elgh's car
Rosberg races a spare Opert B39 so I guess does something to 02 in practice.

Any help on incomplete results much appreciated

Chris
Old 13 Jan 2004, 14:14 (Ref:836679)   #12
jlcw
Rookie

Thanks to everyone for all this valuable info. Dan, you are correct it is John Connell - recognized his name as soon as I saw it. I think he lives in the Indianapolis area somewhere - maybe owns a transmission shop - not sure though.

Chris thanks for the details on the FA series. Bits of it I knew - but you have filled in a lot more info. Thanks. John Zimmerman's book has a wonderful image of Rosberg in a B45 (chassis unkown) kissing the wall at a street circuit it appears. There is also a photograph of him at Montreal in 1978 in what is clearly a B39. Curiously, I was competing in an AFFA FFord race there the same weekend (finished 10th in a field of 35)- the weekend that Gilles had his historic victory in the Ferrari.

Ed Swart has a B42. I met him at Road Atlanta a couple of years ago when he had a sports racer there. I sent him a single use camera to photograph all aspects of the car which helped me in putting together my car since they are essentially identical. It has a 2 liter BDG motor - so he runs it as an F2 in the HSR series.

Jeff
Old 13 Jan 2004, 17:37 (Ref:836915)   #13
Cameron H
Rookie

Wow! I never imagined that so much valuable information/history could be obtained so easily! Thanks to everyone for contributing to the thread.

I have a question about the events that Chris mentioned:

I believe the last race, ‘Quebec City’, must be the GP in Montreal. This would make sense as the race was on October 8th, ’78 [i.e. probably the last race of the season] and the Zimmerman book has a picture of Keke in a B39 in Montreal and Chris results indicate he was in a B39 in the final event.

I am unsure of the third race of the season, ‘Quebec’. Was there a street race in Quebec city?

Cameron
Old 13 Jan 2004, 18:45 (Ref:836971)   #14
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
The last race of the season was on the Ile de Notre Dame.
The third race I just have Quebec City and assume this
was a street race as there wasn't a circuit handy

This race, I have no reports for and just results down
to 8th, plus a few retirements.

Chris
Old 13 Jan 2004, 21:05 (Ref:837118)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Chris
According to the Autocourse Archives both Mezario (finished 14th) and Patrese (finished 9th!) are in B39's. Galicia was in a B39 at Hamilton. I got it wrong about Rosberg winning the final round at Montreal, he with rtd engine problems but is listed in a B45.
Elkhart Lake Gloy 5th in B45, Rosberg 7th in B45, so was Bob Earl in the other Opert car? or in his Brolin B34 at Elkhart Lake?
lane Sports sponsorewd gloy for the season but he ran the 77b at Long Beach (2nd) and Westwood (10th), incomplete results for Quebec, appeared at Lime Rock in a B45. Did he do a deal for the Shea car for the rest of the season?
Bob Earl was at Long beach and Trois Riveres in a B34 entered/sponsored by James Brolin.
The races for the series according to thses archives were
Long Beach April 1
Westwood April 23
Quebec June 11 (is this Ste Jovite?)
Lime Rock July 4
Road America July 23
Hamilton August 7
Trois Riveres September
Montreal September 24
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:15 (Ref:837196)   #16
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Townsend
Any help on incomplete results much appreciated

Chris
Oh dear - Allen has been a bad boy.

Temporary consolation follows:

I'll be back in a moment!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:21 (Ref:837205)   #17
jlcw
Rookie

I can confirm the Quebec City race - it was a one-off event sponsored by the racing afficiendos in Quebec. There was another AFFA FFord race that weekend too (finished 5th there where the Crossle was well set up for the many 90 degree turns you get on a street circuit). I honestly can't remember the FA results. I don't think there was another race there again, with Trois Rivs and Montreal taking the lead. Regrettably however, it looks like the Trois Rivs weekend may be scrapped.

As Chris pointed out earlier in the thread, Elghe (in chassis #4)was a teamnate to Rosberg, but parted ways with Opert (disappointing results/money?), and that car became available to Rosberg if needed (which it was on occasion)as well as rentadrivers when they presented themselves.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:26 (Ref:837208)   #18
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quebec
Rosberg 1st
Elgh retires with overheating.
Incomplete results, so the Shea car may be in there!
Note Marcel Talbot (frequent hire driver in Can-Am) below:

Quote:
Lime Rock
Rosberg races Elgh's regular car [04] 4th
No other Opert runners?
Again incomplete results here
Rosberg "wrote-off" his usual car in practice. Note Skeeter McKitterick below:

Chris - the reports are now in the usual place - sorry I missed Quebec and was daft enough to fail to scan page 2 of the Lime Rock report!

Note that in your history of the US B45s above you have Lime Rock and Elkhart Lake the wrong way round which does confuse the Rosberg car history.

Allen

Last edited by allenbrown; 13 Jan 2004 at 22:30.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:32 (Ref:837214)   #19
jlcw
Rookie

Sorry to list again - but that's the photo!! Absolutely typical Rosberg! The bodywork is all B45 - including the characteristic goal post rear wing set up as opposed to the monopost wing on the B39. Its possible that this was in practice and Rosberg moved to the B39 chassis for the race.

I would also draw your attention to the naughty appendage on the nose of the car.....Rumour has it that he had a similarly sculpted gearshift lever - can you imagine that happening nowadays? Well no - there wouldn't be enough room would there?

As Chris noted earlier, Rosberg raced B45-78-04 at Macau, but failed to finish. Paul Owen told me that Rosberg's mechanics were Derek Bennett (the other one) and Barrie Green. The world gets smaller once again.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:49 (Ref:837236)   #20
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Chris

Any chance 02 met its end at Lime Rock and the team used 04 thereafter? The Hamilton results I have say Galica drove an Opert B39 at Hamilton. Could either Patrese or Merzario at TR have been in a B39? That explains Rosberg being in a B39 at Montreal too.

Allen

PS Just noticed I didn't scan the Montreal report either!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 23:21 (Ref:837275)   #21
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Jeff

The picture is at Quebec. Couldn't say whether it was in practice or the race but either way it could be a B45 if he took over Elgh's car and left him with the spare B39.

Allen

PS Chris - Montreal report and results now in the normal place.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 01:14 (Ref:837366)   #22
jlcw
Rookie

Allen

There is very good chance that happened at Lime Rock. Apparently Rosberg had a comprehensive shunt in practice(easy to do there - especially then), so its pretty sure that he ran 04 - at least for that race (I think Elghe had left the team by then) and likely that was the B45 chassis available for the next few weekends until 02 was repaired - if it ever was.

Jeff
Old 14 Jan 2004, 06:09 (Ref:837521)   #23
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jlcw
Paul Owen told me that Rosberg's mechanics were Derek Bennett (the other one) and Barrie Green. The world gets smaller once again.
Dick Bennetts, surely
(making the world even smaller)
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:38 (Ref:837887)   #24
jlcw
Rookie

David,

Yes that's who I meant - sorry for the mis-type.

Jeff
Old 15 Jan 2004, 13:55 (Ref:839244)   #25
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Rick Shea often rented his cars out on a race by race basis which probably explains McKitterick and the far from tardy Talbot in B45s. [Witness Shea's famous 722, which between 75 and 77 was probably driven by every European ever to visit Canada]

I think we can explain the disappearance of 45-02 as due to Rosberg bending it. However, it may well have been resurrected at some point for the Japanese series [except that both or neither of those cars may be B45s - at the Jap F.Pacific GP one is called a B40 and the other a B42, and I doubt that the two tail end drivers in question bought 'new' B45s just to do Macau.]
That gives Opert one B39 and one B45 to do Trois Rivieres and the end season races, and Rosberg chooses to run the B39 at Quebec City.
Opert may have kept more than one. In 1978 there are nine B39s in existence.
01 is owned by John Sisk in USA - running SCCA
02 is in S.Africa with Tony Martin
Harold McGarrity has his brother's car
Peter Robinson has 07
Marcello has one in S.E.Asia?
Albert Poon has 09

At least one was reduced to bits at St Felicien in 1977 but Opert could have rebuilt this and the one Rosberg did at the same meeting.
That means three or four to choose from!

Chris