Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1178143)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
James Hunt quotes?

Are there any pages with James Hunt commentry quotes?

For me thay are funnier than Murray Walker's.

There is one in particular which i remember it goes something like this:

"The problem with Jarrier is that he is a French prat, always has, always will be."

Any more would be greatly appreciated!
Old 13 Dec 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1178265)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know of any pages of his quotes, but there must be one somewhere. One that I know of is that, when asked by Murray to sum up the first race they commetnated on together, he simply replied "I thought it was s**t actually" (sorry about the autocensor 'dodge', but that is what he said). Very outspoken and honest guy, with quite an 'extreme' lifestyle for the time - it's no wonder he and Murray disliked each other in those days.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1178287)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Murray - 'And flames are coming out of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool.
James - 'Well that should put them out then.'

Old 13 Dec 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1178299)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Murray: "Arnoux holding up Prost as he is lapped...Rene tells me that he is having difficulty adapting to a normally aspirated car, after driving turbos for years, which is why he is so slow."

Hunt: "Well of course that's b******s."

Last edited by ensign14; 13 Dec 2004 at 15:32.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1178398)   #5
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The word he actually used to descibe Jarier rhymes with 'tanker', by the way. There are some great entries here - the Arnoux one perhaps sums up the contrast of styles with Murray perfectly - he didn't have any time for excuses, where Murray believes the best about everyone (even James, as the autobiography shows)
Old 13 Dec 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1178401)   #6
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't know of any pages of his quotes, but there must be one somewhere. One that I know of is that, when asked by Murray to sum up the first race they commetnated on together, he simply replied "I thought it was s**t actually" (sorry about the autocensor 'dodge', but that is what he said). Very outspoken and honest guy, with quite an 'extreme' lifestyle for the time - it's no wonder he and Murray disliked each other in those days.
That was the 1980 International Trophy and Hunt exact words were: "Well that was a load of old rubbish!"
Old 13 Dec 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1178474)   #7
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me James was not only a pithy commentator who took no prisoners but an incredibly hard charger and worthy champion in his driving days. A character much missed by the motor racing public and one who in this day and age of Corporate Robots will probably never be replaced. One of my favourite James Hunt comments relates to the expansion of debriefing after the race. James thoughts on this were that he never saw much sense in it, as if he had won there would be to much celebrating to do and if he had lost it was far to depressing to talk about it.
A man who packed 80 years of life into his 46
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:02 (Ref:1178858)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I occasionally saw glimpses of James Hunts personality in Eddie Irvine, but in the world of modern robot racers, there are no straight talking drivers.

Webbers probably the only straight talking brutally honest guy out there on the grid, the rest are corporate dummies.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1179285)   #9
GVROK
Rookie

GVROK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved it at Imola 1983 (I think) when Patrese crashed at Acque Minerali he was leading at the time and this allowed Tambay through to win and James said "and you can hear the Italians showing that they prefer cars to people........"
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1179407)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Managed to find some....

Quotes

''This car is absolutely hopeless. It's like driving a wet sponge'' describing his first drive in the McLaren.

''Oi, Depailler! Where did you get your superlicence? Out of a crisp packet?!'' James was not amused after Tyrrell driver Patrick Depailler forced him into a wall in Long Beach.

''I wouldn't worry about your face Niki, you were ugly in the first place!'' After Lauda's firey crash in Germany, James and Niki talked on the phone sometimes up to an hour.

''Mclaren did a spectacularly sloppy job in Spain. They didn't even bother to check the car after the race!'' Can you imagine what would happen if a driver said this about his team nowadays?!

''Bloody Herman! He nobbled me well and truly!'' team mate Mass accidentally knocked Hunt of during the Canadian GP. A stunned and bruised Hunt accidentally punched a marshall's lights out after he got out the car.

''What a load of rubbish!'' James opinion on the first race he commentated on.

''We've got this amazing situation, we're all sitting by the start and finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we're not getting one'' The lack of leaders in the 1982 Monaco GP towards the end of the race turned the grand prix into one of the most memorable of all time.

''Prost's car is on fire as he goes into the swimming pool.''
''That should put them out then!'' Murray Walker and James discussing Prost's engine faliure.

''Very stupid driving from Mansell there'' Mansell makes a mistake. James disliked Mansell becuase he thought he was boring and made silly mistakes.

''And Mansell was very lucky to not be taken off by that REDICULOUS piece of driving by Alliot who didn't bother looking in his mirrors!'' Hunt on another blocking tactic of Alliot's. Alliot was what James called a 'rabbit'.

''Berger's car is on fire!''
''No Murray that's his rainlight'' One of the most famous Hunt corrections of all.

''Piquet has got no motivation whatsoever. He's only in F1, to keep his 45 metre yacht afloat, and his helicopter in petrol'' A classic Hunt put-down. James disliked Piquet probably most of all, for reasons he never explained.

''No hurry for the Williams team, just very important to not make a mistake. And thats absolutely fine.......(matter of fact) Oh, and he's lost a wheel'' Hunt not bothered that Mansell's championship dream is up in smoke.

''Andrea De Cesaris should really be called De Crasheris. He's smashed up so many cars in testing. He's an embarrasment to himself, his team and the sport, and maybe he should retire''
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1180135)   #11
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
accidentally punched a marshall's lights out after he got out the car.
Accidentally, I like it
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1180206)   #12
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Managed to find some....

Quotes

''This car is absolutely hopeless. It's like driving a wet sponge'' describing his first drive in the McLaren.
I thought that was Tommy Byrne
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1180222)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think ' I always kept a rag between my legs' was a good JH quote....
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1180392)   #14
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive just searched through some old posts as i knew i posted about James Hunt a while back

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56164

Yesterday , ( i had a bit of time on my hands )......
so i decided to dig out and watch and old race tape ive got of French GP 1983 from Paul Ricard .

What absolute fantastic commentry from James Hunt and Murray Walker ! ..Well , more James Hunt infact .

Niki Lauda and Elio de Angelis were having a right ding dong battle on the track ...and James Hunt ( obvioulsy a good friend of Lauda ) was showing his support for the Austrian with crys of " go on Niki " and " yes " everytime Lauda tried to take a lunge up the inside of De Angelis .

You could tell Hunt was really enjoying this race in a big way , and his enthusiam carried across in the commentary which really added to the excitement of the race .

Although James Hunt was being very biased in his commentary as he wanted Lauda to beat De Angelis , it made the race so much more exciting simply as he was getting passionate about it .

I liked James Hunts commentary a lot .

Last edited by Sato san; 15 Dec 2004 at 18:41.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 06:43 (Ref:1180756)   #15
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little off topic...
But a few years back Sterling Moss stood in for one of the then two regulars JH and MW at the Monaco GP.
As I remember it, a large chunk of his commentary was telling stories about his times as a racer at Monaco. Until the camera strayed away from the action on the track and rested on a couple of topless ladies on a yacht. Sterling's commentary ..."OOOOHHH I say....better stay here Mr Cameraman, its much better than what's happening on the track".

Always a ladies man...lol.
Anyone remember it?

Cheers
Peter
Old 16 Dec 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1180854)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I remember one Monaco GP when the director kept showing shots of waving girls in bikini's and after about 4 shots Murray said, "yes, hello girls".

I thought it was quite amusing.