Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 May 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1302356)   #1
WRCOTTER
Rookie

WRCOTTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scarab rear engined grand prix car-Buick/Traco engine sought

I'm looking for the Buick/Traco engine from the rear engined Scarab. The car raced once, in Australia, in 1961. Does anyone have photos of this race at Sandown?
Old 18 May 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1303783)   #2
Ol'_Motorhead
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Ol'_Motorhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was this built from the aluminum block production engine used in the Buick Skylark and Oldsmobile F-85?

Old enough to know better, young enough to have another go!
Old 21 May 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1305806)   #3
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did this motor find its way into the Ross Ambrose Renmax big banger sports car, currently being rebuilt in Melbourne?
Wasnt it 62 not 61?
Old 22 May 2005, 05:32 (Ref:1306504)   #4
Pete Brennan
Rookie

Pete Brennan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cavvy is correct,the engine is currently fitted to that car.The Rennmax Traco belongs to a friend of mine David Doubtfire.Car is in Melbourne.Car is also listed for sale at http://www.racecarwarehouse.co.uk/frames.htm
There is an engine pic there also.I can put you un contact with David if you wish.
Old 23 May 2005, 02:53 (Ref:1307685)   #5
Haydn
Rookie

Haydn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The original engine in This Scarab was a BUICK (this is documented as the engine fitted into Bib Stillwell's Cooper Monaco during its first outing as a V8 - called the Cooper Buick - at Calder at the end of 1964.)

I think there may be some confusion created by the fitting of a Olsmobile engine during its ownership by later owners. Was raced as the Monaco-Olds by Dick Thurston and later drivers.
Old 23 May 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1308460)   #6
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

In this era West Aussie racer Wally Higgs put a Buick motor into a Lotus chassis - just a distant memory but may help.
Old 23 May 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1308521)   #7
Racetek
Rookie

Racetek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Just found out about your post. I own the Rennmax Traco which does have the Scarab F1 engine installed. I can send you pics and more information if you are interested. You can contact me at david@racetek.com.au.
Old 28 May 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1312202)   #8
Haydn
Rookie

Haydn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WRCOTTER, There are some photos of the Scarab raced by Chuck Daigh at Sandown in March 1962 on the following website:- www.autopics.com.au - If you track by racing cars then 1962 you will see a number of photos of your car.

Also worth noting on the same website tracking sports cars -1964 you will see the Bib Stillwell Cooper Monaco Buick. Go to sports cars 1965 and 1966 you will see the same Cooper Monaco with Dick Thurston then Tony Osborne both noted as the Cooper Monaco Oldsmobile. Same car - different engine.

My research indicates The Traco-Oldsmobile engine in the Rennmax Traco (4400cc) is not the original Buick 3.9 litre engine from the Scarab. This can be verified by anyone checking all the programs/race results for this era.

Unfortunately neither Bib Stillwell nor Dick Thurston are with us anymore so the full story of where the original Scarab Buick engine is now could remain a mystery.

PS. I was at the 1962 Sandown International meeting but I dont have any photos of the Scarab engine bay - only back and white photos of the race itself (Not nearly the same quality as the Autopics website!)
Old 3 Jun 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1318720)   #9
steveatrobroy
Rookie

steveatrobroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engine in the David Doubtfire owned Rennmax traco is most definatly the engine from the rear engine Scarab. I owned the engine and car for about 15 years prior to mr Doubtfire and have the full history of the engine since Reventlo/Day sold it to Arnold Glass in 62.It should be noted that the engine was not a Traco engine but was built by Mr Travis and Mr Coon whilst in the employ of Scarab.They went on to establish Traco engineering at alter date .ie after Scarab closed.It is correct that the engine is now 4.4lt this came about as the original U.S made HANK THE CRANK crankshaft was damaged beyond repair.The rest of the engine including roller cam,externalwater rails,and beautiful Phil Remington fabricated 4x sidedraft weber inlet manifold is original.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1319725)   #10
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Haydn I too was at Sandown for that memorable meeting.
May I improve your spelling steveatrobroy? Lance Reventlow owner, Charles (Chuck) Daigh driver. They had two engines available,a 5 litre and 3.5 litre. I always wondered why he didn't go the biggest engine! Daigh drove the 3.5 litre hard from the flag and bellowed up the back straight like the F5000's of years later. Then he began to brake earlier as the 4 cylinder cars braked better.
My Father was a Holden Dealer so we were in with Stillwell's pit. Yes he was Holden before jumping ship.

So there were 2 Scarab Buick engines> Why did Reventlow sell one in Australia?. Or did he know that the Internal Revenue Dept was about to shut him down when he returned to the USA?

Wish I had have used my camera more.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 05:48 (Ref:1442767)   #11
Michaelblue
Rookie

Michaelblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
michaelblue

The engine you are discussing, an Alloy Buick V8 ex Reventlow Scarab, was fitted to the Bib Stillwell Cooper Monaco, the complete car was sold to Tony Osbourne in Melbourne, and maintained by Ray Gibbs in Carnegie, it raced at the Surfers Paradise 12 hr race driven by Tony and Murray Carter until the Gear box broke, it was then sold to Ross Ambrose, he raced it once at Sandown and took it back to Tasmania I have a picture of the complete motor with side draft Webbers on the garage floor if you are interested.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1442896)   #12
steveatrobroy
Rookie

steveatrobroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
traco engine

your information is quiet correct!! however, there were several other owners before and after those mentioned. Arnold Glass purchased the engine from Reventlow and used it in his BRM (rear engine).
it then passed thru a couple of other hands before ending up with stillwell/osborne's (argo racing). The car had a couple of more owners in Tasmania after Ross Amrbose, and at one stage the scareb engine was removed and a 327 chev tried in the mildren sports car. From all reports it went pretty hard, but the weight was diabolical. The buick scareb was then reinstated in the vehicle and in later years the engine&vehcile was purcahsed by Paul Moxham and then a couple of owners.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1443316)   #13
david birchall
Rookie

david birchall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a slightly different tack, John Goldsmith of Goldsmith and Young in the UK is rebuilding a car fitted with a Traco Buick. Since he has changed so much else on the car perhaps he is changing the engine and it will be for sale?
David B
Old 27 Oct 2005, 04:53 (Ref:1444718)   #14
marinmcgreevy
Rookie

United States
California
marinmcgreevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remington Scarab Weber Sidedraft manifold

Did the Weber manifold on the engine sought look something like this?

Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1445016)   #15
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a car being advertised on Ebay Australia at the moment that purports to have the engine your looking for but reading into websites about the original car and engine, it looks like a rebuilt kit of parts and the engines history is suspect. Its a nice looking car though and could maybe be made to probably go rather quick with a bit of know how.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1445750)   #16
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here.

I've read this thread twice but I still don't fully understand this engine. Could someone lay out all the facts and see how much we can all agree on?

Allen
Old 28 Oct 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1445805)   #17
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, I'll start
It must be the Mildren Maserati (as was)