Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1369573)   #1
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How can I stop/fix this sort of thing?

It's so annoying, a pretty cool photo spoiled by the reflecting of the lights, or whatever it's doing...

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/Spa24/saleen_aston.jpg

Anyway of preventing it happening, or at least fixing it to some degree in PS?

Same with this one, not so noticeable though.

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/Spa24/corvette.jpg
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1369608)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
clone it out in photoshop?
Old 1 Aug 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1369625)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Do this with it
http://www.tkracing.co.uk/saleen_aston.jpg
Old 1 Aug 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1369705)   #4
b0d
Rookie

b0d should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you have a filter on the lens? That can cause internal reflections like these.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1369729)   #5
KennyG
Racer

KennyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is why we don't use filters.

Hey Tim, missed you on Sunday. Got caught up in the press office, darn it.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
Old 2 Aug 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1369927)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking good falcemob! How exactly did you do that?

Yes I was using a filter, but I took it off at some points, didn't seem to make a difference. Generally only happens at dusk/bad weather.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1370182)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Looking good falcemob! How exactly did you do that?
It took about 2 or 3 minutes, I enlarged the image to about 200 to 300%, used the clons stamp tool on the offending bits and then used the Auto Levels tool for colour and contrast. I did try sharpening it but it went a tad OTT. If I had spent a bit more time and effort on the clone stamp it would be a lot better.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1370990)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely that's not a filter issue at all - but curtain synch? I got it a lot during the night at Le Mans this year. Its easy to use Photoshop's clone stamp tool to erase it.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1371091)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A polarizing filter would stop it but I guess that's a bit steam age now you can mess with the original in photoshop or whatever.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1371391)   #10
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just a couple of questions.

Does it happen with all your lens or a specific lens@

Only in poor light conditions?

Film in date?
Old 3 Aug 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1371394)   #11
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Or on more than one lens
Old 3 Aug 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1371416)   #12
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Groupc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My low light shots at Le Mans suffered from it badly last year. I read in this forum that it was a filter causing it. So this year I removed it (polarising) and I still got the reflection. Baffled.
Old 3 Aug 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1371531)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Same as you Groupc. It's not just the one lens either. Low light seems to cause it.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1371792)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I get it all the time with my 10D, but don't remember it at all with my previous EOS100. I personally didn;t think it had anything to do with the lenses or filters - I had it in my head that it was a first or second curtain synch thing - but that's probably just stupid..... Anyhow, I use the clone stamp tool and it sorts it most times.....
Old 4 Aug 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1372082)   #15
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The effect you see is caused as follows..

During exposure, light coming into the camera reflects off the shiny surface of the camera's sensor, back out and up the barrel of the lens.. If there is a flat plane element in the lens then it can reflect back off that flat element back down the lens and back onto the CCD.. That causes the effect you see..

Front filters are flat planes, so are rear filters and protective elements.. They can all cause it.. Cheaper lenses have more flat planes in them..

If you have the problem then you have it all of the time, it's just that it's less noticeable when there's more light around and you're stopped down and don't have bright light sources.. More noticeable in low light and where you have a high contrast (i.e. with car headlights)..

The xenon headlights are brighter and they have a bigger effect..

The pro lenses deal with this effect better and some are starting to introduce so-called meniscus elements to eliminate the problem (Nikon).. The Canon long primes don't seem to suffer anything like as much as the Nikon primes.. I put this down to the fact that the current Canons are more "up to date" than their Nikon equivalents and the issue may have been noted before the redesign.. Nikon are in the process of updating, starting with the new 300 last year..

A slip in polariser usually does the trick in a long prime, but you have to deal with the light fall off.. Great at Sears Point.. Not so great at Spa in April..

The effect, whilst not wanted, can add atmosphere in the right circumstances though..
Old 4 Aug 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1372228)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So now we know.

What I don't understand is that I'm using exactly the same lenses as I did with my EOS100, but the "flare" (for want of a better word) is much more in evidence - and that's not because I'm taking different shots either.......
Old 5 Aug 2005, 00:10 (Ref:1372440)   #17
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
It's probably something to do with what David said about it bouncing off the sensor, maybe it's more pronounced than with film.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1372575)   #18
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Precisely. A digital sensor reflects much more light than film.
Old 6 Aug 2005, 00:11 (Ref:1373503)   #19
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Using a polarizer won't stop it either. Trust me, I know...

Old 6 Aug 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1373664)   #20
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Using a polarizer won't stop it either. Trust me, I know...

Well. that's not my experiece, nor the experiece of Nikon tech in the UK who carried out some tests for me.. A slip in polariser works fine for me in the 500..
Old 6 Aug 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1373699)   #21
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very interesting, very interesting indeed.

i might inspect some of my band shots for similar light "bounce" to see if its present
Old 6 Aug 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1373764)   #22
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Well. that's not my experiece, nor the experiece of Nikon tech in the UK who carried out some tests for me.. A slip in polariser works fine for me in the 500..
Well, having never used a filter on the 500, you could be right with that. Mught be the phyiscal location in the lense has something to do with it? I get it all the time with the shorter Canon lenses I use, 28-70, 70-200, 100-400, etc..

Old 6 Aug 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1373872)   #23
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Well, having never used a filter on the 500, you could be right with that. Mught be the phyiscal location in the lense has something to do with it? I get it all the time with the shorter Canon lenses I use, 28-70, 70-200, 100-400, etc..

I am right, but not trying to be cute (although I am.. )

Perhaps I ought to explain my original post..

Of course, the polariser has to stop the light on the way back down to the CCD and so a front filter will not work as it's not in the way of the pesty reflections.. A slip in filter is near the end of the chain and therefore stops the reflection as it's not polarised itself..

A front filter may very well add to the problem as it's another flat plane for the light to bounce back from..

I only have this as a problem on my 500 as it's an older design (the front protective glass is a flat plane and there's nothing in the lens to encourage reflected light to disipate) .. the 300 and the 70-200 VR are fine (more modern designs)..

The shorter lenses will flare I expect, but I've never really noticed the problem as I cannot think of an opportunity where I've shot into headlights with those short lenses.. Maybe pit stops but i have not really noticed the problem then..

Don't confuse the effect Mike is showing us with flare, which looks like this..

Flare example from Le Mans
Old 6 Aug 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1373906)   #24
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
but not trying to be cute (although I am.. )

We're on the same page... I'm using the flat, end-of-the-lens filter...
Old 13 Dec 2009, 05:47 (Ref:2598784)   #25
boyracer
Racer

boyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Digging up an old thread. So old that the photo's have been lost and I wanted to make sure that what I'm experiencing is the same thing.
These shots were with a Canon 450D and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens.
I would have liked some more exposure in the shots, but was the best I could do without a lot slower shutter speed, which I tired and didn't like the look of. Anyway, I digress. The moon shots were just to show it's not reflection off the track surface or some such.

Last edited by boyracer; 13 Dec 2009 at 05:50. Reason: Stuffed up the links