Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 7 Mar 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1539438)   #1
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevron B27

this is where the research gets tricky.
There appear to be a number of cars in period that aren't on the build
records, and indeed Chevron give a different number to the American
magazine Sports Car than appears anywhere else.

B27 [27.74.01]
Sold to Bob Marsland to use in European F2. Stil for sale A/S 13.11.75 3 races/3 hillclimbs since update by Chevron, with chassis number given. A candidate for either the Jeremy Sumner/Mike Wilds car in 1976 or the Derek Shortall “Vista Blinds” car in Ireland.

B27 [27.74.02]
Sold to Freeman Racing, Ohio, so intended for Price Cobb but at the end of the season Cobb uses a B20 at Road America in August and Watkins Glen in October, though does perhaps appear in SCCA. Perhaps sold in 1974 to Shierson to become the team spare [see “the Muzzin car”] or returned to Opert [see “the Jaussaud car” and “the Holmes car”]. Given the Freeman team’s location a candidate for either the Tom Christ or Frank Scott cars in SCCA in 1977, as both were from Chicago, and also the Lloyd Callaway car in 1975.

B27 [27.74.03
Sold to Shierson. According to Chevron the car used by Chip Mead at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. Sold to Keith Feldott in 1975 and retained by him to at least 1977.

B27 [27.74.04]
Sold to Shierson. According to Chevron the car used by James King at Mallory Park before being shipped to the USA. Badly damaged by King and rebuilt around a new tub. The old tub perhaps rebuilt into a team spare and rented out to Vince Muzzin towards the end of the season. [See “the Muzzin car”]

B27 [27.74.05]
An Opert team car, used by Hugh “Wink” Bancroft in 1974. The car was owned by Bancroft, who according to Formula and Sports Car retained it un-raced in 1975, and then wheeled it out again for a few SCCA races in early 1976.

B27 [27.74.06]
An Opert team car, initially used in European F2 by Bertil Roos, where the chassis number is given by MN, then shipped to America for Atlantic. Also used by Roos in the early season British Atlantic races [MN 28.3.74 p. 12 says that the car run at Estoril had been used the previous weekend at Brands Hatch.] MN 11.4.74 said that after the Hockenheim F2 race the car was to be flown to America. Opert team car in the 1974 US/Canadian season, probably that of Roos, since Bancroft would have raced the car that he owned [chassis 5]. Used by Melville at St. Johns in July 1974, by Bill Brack at Halifax 18.8.74, and by either Rebaque or Melville at Glen after Roos left the team. Not advertised by Opert with the late 1974 team cars, so presumably sold before the end of 1974. Either this, chassis 2 or chassis 7 is the car used in SCCA and some pro races by Lloyd Callaway in 1974.
Found in USA and now being restored in UK.

B27 [27.74.07]
Sold to George Sabin. Vancouver Star report of the Westwood Atlantic race says the car used by Alan Lader was loaned by Sabin. CMB report of the Edmonton race says that Sabin appeared himself with a B27. The car does not seem to appear again, unless in SCCA, so perhaps sold on, either to Shierson or back to Opert. [See “the Muzzin car”]

B27 [27.74.08]
Derek Cook’s car is described in report of John Player round at Snetterton, March 29, 1975 as “last year’s Opert chassis”. [A/S 3.4.75 p.38] Opert team car for Bertil Roos and Hector Rebaque in British Formula Atlantic races, though it seems from press reports as though Roos in fact used his F2 car in Britain. According to MN and A/S this car was used by Jim Crawford in late season races. For sale by Opert Formula March 75 p. 8. To Derek Cook, 1975, to replace his 1974 car [27.74.14] sold to Munro. Along with chassis 9 a candidate for the Ashtune Race Hire car of Ronald Reemus – especially as that car has a Cook tuned engine. However, if this was the Cook car it must have been a lease deal. By 1976 this B27 is the one car that Cook retains and he keeps it until at least 1977, using it in ShellSport.

B27 [27.74.09]
Sold to Team Harper for Dieter Quester. Also driven by Tom Pryce and badly damaged at Enna; returned to works and rebuilt for Jim Crawford to use at Nogaro late in 1974. Sold to Doug Thompson [“late season F2 car” used Scottish hillclimb championship for sale A/S 8.1.76]. Probably the ex Pryce B27 f/s A/S 7.8.80 p. 72 by AMCO Racing. Known to have a number of owners in UK up to mid 1990s.

B27 [27.74.10]
Sold in May 1974 to Team Harper, and used by David Purley in the European F2 championship. Probably the car taken to Macau by Harper in November 1974. This car is attributed to American driver Bob Brown [not Bobby Brown] who raced what is described by A/S as an ex Harper B27 in Indyatlantic and Formula Libre in 1976. An ‘ex Purley’ B27, without chassis number, was offered for sale in 2001 on race-cars.com, in the USA; it is presumed that Brown, serving in the US air force in the UK, took his car back to America with him.

B27 [27.74.12]
Built for the Baty team to use in European F2 championship and driven by Tom Pryce. Sold to Harald Ertl and used by him late in 1974 and early in 1975 in European F2. Retained un-raced by Ertl until his death. Bought from the Ertl estate by American Jack Perkins and still in his possession.

B27 [27.74.14]
Sold to Derek Cook, August 1974. Hugh Munro’s car is described in A/S report of John Player Atlantic round at Mallory Park, March 9, 1975 as “ex Derek Cook”, so Cook’s late 1974 chassis. [AS 13.3.75 p. 26]. The race report for the British GP support race, 1975, says that Munro loaned the car back to Cook after he had wrecked his “new” 73B [SDC1] against Val Musetti’s car. In the race Cook managed to hit Musetti again, on the approach to Beckett’s on lap one… Found in France and now being restored in UK.

B27 [27.74.15]
Consigned to Opert, July 1974, for a Californian SCCA driver. This was probably Bob Fisher, who raced a B27 from the very beginning of 1975 in SCCA and had probably used the car in 1974. This car cannot be one of the problem Opert cars [“the Holmes car”; “the Jaussaud car”] as these are still for sale by Opert at a time in 1975 when Fisher is racing regularly on the west coast. Sold to Jim Van Horn of San Francisco [described as “ex Fisher” Formula May 76 p. 26]. f/s Formula Feb 77, p. 45; a candidate for the car of Californian Mike Morris in SCCA races in 1977 though this may also be the ex Opert Hayes car from 1975.

B27 [27.74.16]
Sold to Peter Williams, June 1974. MN report for John Player Atlantic round at Brands Hatch, September 14, 1975 describes Mike Franey’s Samatco Racing car as ‘ex Williams’. John Scannell’s B27 in 1976 Indyatlantic is described as ‘ex Franey’. Martin Murphy has an 'ex Williams' B27 at a Thruxton Libre race, [MN 31.3.77 p. 6]. Owned by hill-climber Phil Sharp in 1984.

B27 [27.74.17]
Sold to Peter Broeker, June 1974. Canadian sources say that this car may have been destroyed in a garage fire in early 1975, however it may by that point have already been wrecked in a testing accident at Edmonton.

B27 [27.74.18]
Sold to Bobby Brown of B&B Racing Enterprises, June 1974. The car was badly damaged in an accident at Trois Rivieres in 1974. Brown says that the remains were returned to Chevron in p/x for two B29s in 1975. Perhaps broken for parts.

The unexplained B27s.
The Chevron build record stops at chassis 18. However, there are three cars that appear in 1974 that cannot be explained by the record. These are:

“The Muzzin car”
Shierson has two cars allocated in the build record [3 and 4]. However, at the small Waterford Hills race he runs three cars, with the extra entry being for Formula Ford hotshoe Vince Muzzin. This may be an extra car acquired new from Chevron, a second hand car [the Sabin B27 and the Freeman Racing B27 are candidates] or else a team build of an unplated car based upon the original tub of James King’s car. The car does not seem to appear at any other race.

“The Holmes car [chassis 19]”
One of two cars advertised by Opert in early 1975. This is described as ‘ex Holmes’ and having done only four races. It cannot be either of the original Opert cars which had done far more races than this. Howdy Holmes appears at St. Johns 27.7.74 with a B27 which CMB describes as “brand new”; two other Opert cars are present for Melville and Bancroft. Holmes appears again at Halifax 18.8.74 with two other Opert cars present for Brack and Bancroft. At Trois Rivieres 1.9.74 Pryce appears in an Opert B27 that is described as being the car used by Holmes. Three other Opert team cars are present at the same race. Finally at Watkins Glen Holmes reappears in a B27. Bancroft enters himself – presumably in chassis 5, and there are Opert entries for Rebaque and Melville. This would seem to be the four races mentioned in the advert. This car either has to be the Freeman Racing car bought back unraced, or else a new car from the works off the build record. [As the Sabin car had been raced at least twice it can’t be this car.] Only for sale in the April issue of Formula, so likely to be the car of Dick Hayes, which is described as ‘ex Opert’ Formula July 1975, and appears in SCCA races from Apriil.

“The Jaussaud car [chassis 20]”
One of two cars advertised by Fred Opert in early 1975; Formula April 75, p. 29, ‘3 Rivers car’; July 75, p. 7, ‘2 races from new’. . It cannot be either of the original Opert cars which had done far more races than this, and is advertised at the same time as the ‘ex Holmes’ car. Jaussaud appears at Trois Rivieres 1.9.74 in a car described as “brand new” by A/S. Three other Opert cars are present at that race. At Watkins Glen there are three Opert cars, plus Bancroft in his regular car entered by ‘Bancroft Racing’. If Holmes uses his chassis “19”, the cars of Melville and Rebaque must be 6 and this one. Seems to have gone unsold in 1975: the Opert entered B27 used by Tom Bagley in late season races in 1975 is described as ‘ex Jaussaud’.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1539572)   #2
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey Chris, some great stuff there ! A couple of comments, first didn't Derek Cook have some great cars ? Are you saying he had 2 B27s, plus the B29, as well as a 73B and the 75B? Thats before we get into the 308C/FW05 issue !

Second, at the Gold Cup last August I got chatting to Alan Bell of Lymm. He was very talkative and friendly, and has B27-74-01 (Inoted the plate), which he says was a Belgian hillclimber in its past. Whether this was after the Marsland ownership in 74, which rules it out as the Wilds/Sumner car, or after them is another question. Or was it sold new to the hills of Belgium...
Old 7 Mar 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1539594)   #3
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Dan

01 was definitely in Marsland's hands until late 75, from new. But would like to get in touch with Alan Bell, if any one knows him

And yes, in 1975 Derek Cook seemed bent on acquiring an Atlantic field all to himself. He never owned the B27s at the same time, but having got rid of one soon decided he wanted another!

Chris
Old 7 Mar 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1539613)   #4
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, Derek C's B27s didn't look great, but blimey he started them v well ! I recall at the June 76 Mallory G8 race he blasted off from mid-grid and made up loads of places by Gerards. Soon lost them though as I recall... It had a BDG in it then.
I looked forward to seeing him again at the Indylantic 2 weeks after, but he didn't show. Neither did Bob Brown's B27, Scannel's did though, finishing last.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1539818)   #5
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,

27-74-05 is in the archives section at www.race-cars.com and has been there for a few years , called out as ex Opert/ Roos.??

Also , but with no plate number given is Harper/Purley / Crawford.
As the car is fitted with an FG400 Hewland rather than an FT200 it would appear to be a definate ex F2 purpose built car as opposed to an Atlantic built car.

Bryan.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 00:08 (Ref:1539926)   #6
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Chris,
At www.racecarsdirect.com only one B27 has been offered , 6-10-2003 , by Paul Newton. advert advises sold.no details on ch.no.
Bryan.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1540209)   #7
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan

The car advertised by Paul Newton is chassis number 1. I've seen the car with chassis plate intact. Its still being raced in UK but I don't know the name of the current owner. Ted might know?
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1540211)   #8
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doh! Alan Bell appaers to be his name!!
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1543968)   #9
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have finally given in and signed up,prompted by the mention of Ronald Reemus my first ever full time employer! He had purchased the B27 before I arrived (sadly no idea from whio) and the car was only entered by Ashtune. I can confirm the car had a Cook prepared engine as I collected the engine from Wath on Dearne(?) myself. I also remember Cooks B29 as being on its stands in his shop and being absolutely immaculate
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1544006)   #10
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Simon,
Good to have you aboard .
Bryan.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1544007)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very warm welcome, indeed, Simon. Great to see you, here!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1544870)   #12
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time too!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1590502)   #13
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Chris,

www.fantasyjunction.com appears to have 27-74-07 , chassis plate called out as 1327-07 , but if you turn the 13 into a B , I think it will be that car.
Bryan.
Old 26 May 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1619473)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan Bell's B27, Silverstone, 21 May, 2006

Old 25 Aug 2007, 03:59 (Ref:1996152)   #15
mdwracer
Rookie

mdwracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My unknown B 27

Hello all,
My name is Mike Winebrenner from Louisville,Ky USA. I bought a B 27 several years ago from Sandy Dells Racing in San Diego, Ca and it was one of two cars at his shop. Both were original cars and mine was in pieces and the other car was almost completely restored. I was told that one man bought my car and later bought a second car and restored the second car because it was in better condition. My car is complete less engine and FT and had been converted to a sports racer?? at the end of its life-I assume this because of many holes drilled into the tub for various mountings. I have way too many parts with a lot of race time on them for this not to be an original car, but I have no chassis plate. Any suggestions about the identity of this car??? Any places to look for further identification
Thanks, Mike
Old 25 Aug 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1996188)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome, Mike; I hope that someone here can help!
Old 25 Aug 2007, 19:17 (Ref:1996427)   #17
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Mike

Chevron tub numbers are the same as the chassis number, so not having a plate is not the end of the world.
Stamped somewhere, and I've no idea if there was a consistent policy on where, on the tub itself, should be a two digit number or even B27-??
You may have to strip the tub to find it, and of course one of those pesky holes might have gone right through it, but that is the best place to start.

Chris
Old 27 Aug 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1997548)   #18
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
A bit of an update on B27s

B27 [27.74.07]
Sold to George Sabin. Vancouver Star report of the Westwood Atlantic race says the car used by Alan Lader was loaned by Sabin. CMB report of the Edmonton race says that Sabin appeared himself with a B27. Sold to Bob Fisher, who raced a B27 from the very beginning of 1975 in SCCA and the first round of the Player's Series. For sale in Autoweek in spring 76, described as ex Lader and winner of the Westwood race in 1974 - which was definitely Lader in Sabin's car. Sold to Jim Van Horn of San Francisco [described as “ex Fisher” Formula May 76 p. 26]. f/s Formula Feb 77, p. 45; a candidate for the car of Californian Mike Morris in SCCA races in 1977 though this may also be the ex Opert Hayes car from 1975.

This is useful as it frees up chassis 15 - described as SCCA California in the build records - to be one of the late season Opert team cars

Chris
Old 29 Aug 2007, 01:12 (Ref:1998862)   #19
mdwracer
Rookie

more info on the unknown B-27

I have looked for the tub # but no luck, I was told and put down in notation that the car may have come out of Canada. I have found an SCCA ? roll bar #... 007-417. If it is a SCCA # ,the 007 would stand for Chicago region (Chicago,Illinois,USA) and the 417 would be the 417th car issued a logbook in that region. I have contacted that region and am waiting for a reply. Also, the original Marston fuel cells have a 02/1974 make date.
More info to follow as it arrives.
Mike Winebrenner
Louisville, Ky USA
Old 29 Aug 2007, 01:25 (Ref:1998868)   #20
mdwracer
Rookie

This may be something or nothing, if the 007-417 were disected differently such as 00 74 17 this may be car #17?? Does anyone know where that car is?? And I don't have a clue about the"00". All this just popped into my head.

Mike Winebrenner
Old 29 Aug 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1999024)   #21
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Mike

If it's on the roll bar it's definitely the SCCA stamp
No new B27s were sold to Canada and the fuel cell date may not mean much because Marston probably supplied Chevron with a batch and a left over cell might even have gone in one of the late season cars.

However, Chicago does narrow the field a little.

We know that Keith Feldott bought 03 in 1975 and raced it in Cen Div until 1977. Don't know which SCCA area he was in.
Dan Neuman of St Paul Minnesota has a B27 in 1975. For sale in 1976 as ex Pryce, 3 races from new. This has to be the ex Opert car raced by Holmes and Pryce late on in 1974. This would have gone into Cen Div somewhere I guess.
Lloyd Callaway [Chicago area] has a B27 in 1975/76
Tom Christ of Chicago has a B27 1976/77 which can't be the Callaway car as the appearances overlap.
Frank Scott of Chicago has a B27 in 1977 which can't be the Christ car
Tom Cooney of Chicago has a B27 from 1977 to 1980 which also can't be any of the above!

At the June Sprints of 1977 there are four B27s
Feldott with 03, Scott, Cooney and Christ.

The Scott, Cooney and Christ cars are your best bet for a Chicago SCCA car and are accounted for by the following possible chassis
02 ex Freeman, unknown after 1974 and not much known in it... may even have gone back to Opert. Last known as owned by Bob Dupré in the mid 80s
04 ex Shierson, James King. I'm in touch with James and will see if he remembers who he sold it to
06 ex Opert is unknown in period but has been found in USA so can't be your car.
10 was imported into USA in 1976-7 but again is known elsewhere

My money is on your car being one of the following:
the ex Pryce/Holmes car of unknown number [unless this was 15...]

As the three Chicago cars seem to have appeared in Cen Div at much the same time it might be not be of much worth to isolate the date of the 417 tag by looking at other known cars within the district with SCCA stamps.

I think next step is to keep looking for the tub stamp - it is not going to be obvious!
Also, what bodywork do you have? Is it original? If so, can you carefully sand back to the gel coat, perhaps in two small areas on cockpit and side pods, noting the sequence of colours. That might, at least, give us a clue to original owner and subsequent owners. If the base is dark blue you've got the Shierson car 04, if it's paler blue it's one of the Opert cars.

Chris
Old 29 Aug 2007, 16:48 (Ref:1999317)   #22
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Update on Opert B27s

06 [ex Roos] has to become the Hayes car in California. It's described as ex Opert by Formula on its debut with Hayes in Feb 75. At that time we know where all the other Opert B27s are:
Bancroft still has his car, keeping it to 1976
the Holmes/Pryce car is sold to Neuman [Hayes still has his car when this appears for sale in 1976]
Opert still has the Jaussaud car from Trois Rivieres until early 1976

Chris
Old 31 Aug 2007, 03:35 (Ref:2000581)   #23
mdwracer
Rookie

Logbook ID name on B27

Hello Chris and all,
I was contacted by Chicago region and 007-417 was issued May 13, 1975 to a L. Callaway M.D. There information only gives a date/name to the number. I cannot see the car being "new" in May of 1975, so I am assuming that it may have been pro raced in 1974 and "club" raced in 1975 ,hence getting a standard SCCA logbook in 75. It makes sense that a M.D. (doctor) was able to buy a 1 year old ex-pro racecar.
I will keep looking,and does this info help,
Mike Winebrenner
Old 31 Aug 2007, 03:41 (Ref:2000583)   #24
mdwracer
Rookie

Ok, I just read the previous post and L Callaway is Lloyd Callaway,sorry. So,Chris which car do you think Lloyd owned??
Thanks,
Mike Winebrenner
Old 31 Aug 2007, 07:17 (Ref:2000631)   #25
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Mike

That's excellent! We are getting closer. James King says that he has paperwork for the sale of both his B27s, including chassis numbers and may well be able to identify the buyers. When he gets back to USA from Goodwood next week he'll make this a priority.
By process of elimination Callaway's car can "only" be one of the King/Shierson cars [the car that James destroyed at Mosport seems to have been rebuilt by the team later and used by Vince Muzzin], or the Freeman Racing car [if that wasn't in any case what Shierson bought for King as a replacement]. It can't be an ex Opert car.
Also, I have a good picture of Callaway in the car at a very wet practice session at Mosport in 1975. If you PM me your email address I will send you a scan.

Incidentally, the next owner could have been any one of Christ, Scott or Cooney.
Christ's first appearance just allows him to have bought the car, and Callaway probably sold it to fund a new B34 Atlantic in 1976.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Townsend; 31 Aug 2007 at 07:23.