Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Apr 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1590648)   #51
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry is right to say that really the whole thing was the inspiration of Martin Hone. Martin had been punting this idea around for a few years before Gerry's car was involved in the demonstration run in Brum - I remember it featuring quite prominently in MN and Autosport in around 1971. It really is a shame that all his hard work lead to no personal involvement in what eventually transpired.

I gather that in more recent times Martin has been involved in organising rallies in Britain on behalf of the Jewish charity JNF, which is concerned with environmental projects in Israel.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1590738)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I agree with what's been said so far, it was an excellent event, and one hell of a spectacle.
Just picking up on a few of the points raised so far...
I remember the original Martin Hone idea being publicised, I don't remember when this was, but to help date it, Midlands TV News used Stirling Moss driving around the proposed circuit in a Triumph Stag! (And it did the whole lap without head gasket failure!)

I also remember the 1988/89 events as the Touring Car teams paddock was the Wholesale fruit & vegetable market (the smell was unbelievable in the hot weather!). We had to transport all of our equipment from there around the circuit to the Bristol Street Motors 'pit road' for the practice sessions and the race. Travelling back after the first practice, an impromptu water pistol fight was started between the teams (and we were the only team with pistols!). By the second practice, all other teams came armed with buckets etc, and one team had even filled a pressurised fire extinguisher with water. The BTCC was still fun in those days.

One final memory was seeing the Eggenberger team race preparing their car at the side of the road, as they couldn't get back to the 'paddock' in time before the interior roads were closed again.

Happy days...
Old 21 Apr 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1590881)   #53
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice pictures, bigears, but I attended all of the Superprixs and I don't remember any of the cars in your pics, but it looked like quite a good race!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1590910)   #54
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Big Ears - are you planning a book, or something. If not, why not? You certainly have a great deal of information from your own research and this post - and I bet you could get more if you applied to, say, the teams involved at the time (or members thereof).

I don't know if anything was ever published about the BSP at the time, but if not then it would certainly find a niche. And, if you really want buyers then get in touch with the BRSCC and get the officials list for each year (if they still retain them after all this time) - otherwise, just post a new thread on here under the marshals forum and we will all tell you which years we did!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1590982)   #55
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bromsgrove Street has changed out of all proportion. They've knock down the derelict shops and offices that used to line the nearside of this road and the right-angled corner before it. There was an extremely sleazy looking Balti restaurant on the corner itself. (Overlooked by the multi story opposite and the paddock 2 viewing spot).
In previous posts, someone correctly identified this as the corner that one of the UK hopefuls of the time, half spun and caused a huge F2 hot racecar traffic jam, all at a complete stand still, revving their nuts off, 'cos they we in a race!
This clever individual realized that he could get a restart if he feigned a 'big problem' with his car and remained stationary with his head down blocking the road. Red flag was then thrown, but the organizers were aware of his ruse - so they got some big crane truck to hoist the offending car, less driver by this time, and hoist it high above the track out the way. And then left it there dangling until the restarted race was about to get underway.
Somebody will be able to fill in all the gaps but it was all quite special.
The noise of the F2s reverberating around the streets was something else.
The wet streets was awesome; you had to be really brave.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1590986)   #56
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other thing to remember was that the whole circuit was lined with high armco, and a lot of net wire fencing to catch debris. I was quite taken by the fact that both the wing mirrors on the 911 were grazed after second qualifying. Close stuff.
A Birmingham jeweller (a large man) wrote his v quick white 911 Turbo off on the corner after the start and finish late in the Porsche event. Huge shunt, very public.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1591006)   #57
gfm
Veteran

Russell Spence. That was the name of the F2 guy who blocked the circuit in the hope of a re-run.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1591151)   #58
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Credits to Stuart Knibbs (and yes, I got permission to upload his photos!)

Shelagh, I have been planning to set up a website in tribute of the Birmingham Superprix but I am a bit concerned about my limited knowledge of making websites.

There was a book released in 1992 by Maureen Alcott and Geoff (the last name escapes me) and the book was titled "The Chequered History of the Birmingham Superprix."

I have been looking for a copy of the book to buy but you still can make a loan of the book from the Birmingham Central Library.

It is nice to know a lot of people are still interested to know about the BSP so that encourages me even further to get the time and resources to set up a website.

Lately, I have been emailing various people such as Allan McNish, John Cleland, Graham Goode (via his company) and some other non-British ex F3000 drivers.

I would still love to contact the British drivers but seems they have disappeared (e.g Gary Evans, Phil Andrews, Ross Hockenhull) but I will to contact the BRDC and BRSCC.

I might try to contact Andrew Marriott of CSS Promotions as it was his company that set up the BSP and did a lot of promotion work.
Old 21 Apr 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1591296)   #59
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gfm, you are nearly right, but the best bit of your story, and what can clearly be seen in the later photos is that Russell Spence's car was was hoisted above everyone with him still securely strapped in! What a prat, but full marks for trying!! I marsahlld at 3 BSP's, with loads of good memories. Paul Stewart in his FF1600 crabbing all the way up Belgrade Middleway having deranged his rear suspension on the unforgiving Armco, spending a whole weekend standing in the middle of a dual carriageway (how weird was that?) and voting the caff in the fruit and veg market probably the best breakfast ever!!
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1593141)   #60
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too attended all races from 1986-1990.

Very great memories of this event.

In 1986 as it was the 1st year and not knowing what the parking was like in the city centre decided with my father to drive to a railway station about half hour from the centre and catch the train in! Shame the so called Hurricane struck.

I also remember being able to sit in the beer garden of a pub opposite the 1st corner at the end of Bristol St and sample the very cheap lager whilst watching qualifying.

Another memory is of viewing at the first corner during the final minutes of qualifying in 89 and seeing Martin Donnelly career headlong into a stationary spun car litterally 6ft infront of me.

The Noise was fantastic and the whole spectacle was brilliant, miss the event very much!!
Old 27 Apr 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1596418)   #61
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemorganfan
Gerry is right to say that really the whole thing was the inspiration of Martin Hone. Martin had been punting this idea around for a few years before Gerry's car was involved in the demonstration run in Brum - I remember it featuring quite prominently in MN and Autosport in around 1971. It really is a shame that all his hard work lead to no personal involvement in what eventually transpired.

I gather that in more recent times Martin has been involved in organising rallies in Britain on behalf of the Jewish charity JNF, which is concerned with environmental projects in Israel.
Hi Dave, Gerry here again. yes Martin does a lot of work for the Jewish people I believe. He found religion in a big way I am led to understand. No the Opposite Lock club has long gone. I am so pleased that people do remember Martin Hone in his racing days, he really is the father of the Birmingham Race Scene. He should never be forgotten. Incidentally does anyone have any photographs or video of that day in the 1970s that started it all off? I would pay of course. It was a day to remember, and possibly never to be repeated. Any info drop me a private line. Gerry SWISH Taylor.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1842217)   #62
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Big Ears - are you planning a book, or something. If not, why not? You certainly have a great deal of information from your own research and this post - and I bet you could get more if you applied to, say, the teams involved at the time (or members thereof).
I am pleased to announce in here that I am currently constructing a website devoted to the history of the Birmingham Superprix:

http://8w.forix.com/bsp.html

Please do continue to contribute in this excellent thread, there are a lot of information that I will be willing to use for the Birminhgham Superprix years page in the website.

I am currently looking for photographs from spectators like you, so please PM me or posting in here and to enable me to have permission to use the photos in my website.

I am still on the lookout to ask more comments especially from drivers that have actually driven on the circuit so if you know anyone who does then please point it out for me.

Thank you.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1842390)   #63
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget it was Martin Hone who introduced modern day motor racing to the Middle East. It was him who thought of, planned and organised the Dubai Grand Prix in 1981 - years ahead of his time as racing is only just (in recent years) catching on in the region now. The main event was a racing 'celebrity' race in standard Citroen's, won by Bruno Giacomelli. Others in the field included Moss, Bell, Salvadori, Gurney, and other modern day F1 drivers at the time. Gerry Marshall won the big banger sports car race in the Lola T70,
John Watson demonstrated a contemporary 1981 McLaren, there was also a run by the F1 Theodore ( Kennedy?). Derek Bell also demonstrated the ex-Fangio 1955 Mercedes.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1842410)   #64
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Birmingham superprix= wet THUNDERSPORTS qualifying no race and lots of damage.................
Old 16 Feb 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1842871)   #65
gfm
Veteran

Can't remember if I've contributed to this thread, but certainly did to earlier threads on the Superprix and currently can't load page 4, but ...
I raced there in Thundersports, well - qualified, first year and a Class B Porsche the following year. I have great memories of the event and having just come back from a couple of seasons in the US and enjoyed my first experience of street races, it really is my favourite form of racing. You need considerable commitment, and fine car control plus the experience of dealing with wet manhole covers, greasy uneven white lines and road surfaces that catch your attention at 120 mph!
In the Porsche I was just pipped for the win (though I still claim Robinson used the final lap yellow to jump me) and was very proud of the fact that my two wing mirrors were scored from kissing the armco, the rest of the car untouched! Made me jump when they kissed though!
Old 16 Feb 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1843308)   #66
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
gfm, thank you for your fantastic contributions to this thread!

Your perspective of the circuit will help me a lot and I can add it into this page.

http://8w.forix.com/bsp-quotes.html

May I ask what is your name? (or if you prefer to PM me your name if you want to!) so I can add your quotes into there.

Do you have any photos or know anyone else that may have took part at the BSP?

Members, please keep contributing into this thread!
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2056849)   #67
Ben77
Rookie

Ben77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC wants your Superprix memories and footage..

I'm working at the BBC Inside Out programme, and we're thinking of doing a piece on the Superprix and its possible revival.

I'm keen to track down people to speak to, memories, footage and photos - I'd be grateful for any advice.

There's already plenty of interesting stuff on this fourm.

Any other suggestions welcome - thanks, Ben

e-mail: ben.laidlow@bbc.co.uk
Old 1 Nov 2007, 21:34 (Ref:2057250)   #68
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure a lot of the members on here can give some memories.

I can't, it have never been there but from what I've seen on tape, it must've been a great event. Mostly because of the contrast: expensive racing machinery at one side and on the other council houses, industry and scruffy buildings!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 16:26 (Ref:2060387)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll stick this one for a while Ben, in the hope that draws attention. (and welcome!).
Old 6 Nov 2007, 15:11 (Ref:2061260)   #70
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Thank you John for sticking this thread so hopefully we can get more responses about the memories of the Birmingham Superprix.

I have made the most of today by emailing different people about their experiences of the BSP and what is happening in the future particularly with the rumoured revival.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 15:35 (Ref:2061273)   #71
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the BSP rumoured to be reviving in 2004? It was an amazing event, an ex's dad (Simon Sabel) raced in the Honda CRX race, and successfully rolled it...nice.
Old 6 Nov 2007, 16:50 (Ref:2061317)   #72
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
There was an article in the Autosport magazine about a possible revival in 2003. But in 2004? That's sort of news to me.

But then there have been always a lot of rumours since the BSP died in Decemeber 1990.

Simon Sabel rolled his Honda CRX? That must have happened in 1989 according to the entry list. Could you shed any more light into the incident and the race itself?

The Autosport article doesn't mention anything on the roll, maybe it might have happened during qualifying?
Old 9 Dec 2007, 17:18 (Ref:2084935)   #73
gfm
Veteran

Just in case some of you guys miss it, Youtube has now a whole bundle of good Birmingham Superprix stuff including good in-car footage.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2087335)   #74
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm
Just in case some of you guys miss it, Youtube has now a whole bundle of good Birmingham Superprix stuff including good in-car footage.
I uploaded those video clips.

Just search for 'Birmingham Superprix' and there will be about a dozen video clips there.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2094113)   #75
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember ITVs live transmission of the 1990 event? Shambolic to say the least I remember, with an ad break just as the race was being started! Jim Rosenthal was anchor with guest 'pundit' Nigel Mansell. There must have been some sort of off-air contretemps between the two of them as the on-air chemistry was decidedly frosty, as I recall.