Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 4 Jul 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1648489)   #1
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RacingCircuits website backed up

http://ellis.v12racing.net/racingcir...gcircuits.net/

The forum doesnt work, and never will. The rest is there. Enjoy.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1648509)   #2
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks man, you are awesome. You deserve something special.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1648590)   #3
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 5 Jul 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1648640)   #4
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks alot! HA HAAAA! Well Done mate!!! Cheers!!!
I am way to over exited now...
Old 5 Jul 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1648688)   #5
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have permission from Daniel King to use his website?
Old 5 Jul 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1648755)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant mate - you're a lifesaver. However, do be careful about the permission as f1freak says
Old 5 Jul 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1648782)   #7
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
About permission from Daniel King. Several of us tried to contact him, but no-one succeded. If I were you, I'd post a message on the site just in case King want's to contact you. I'm not sure if he wanted anything (money or otherwise) for his site anymore. He did have such a message on his site for a few months.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1648818)   #8
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was only put up because others had attempted to contact the author, but with no reply. If it asked to be removed, i will see what it takes to allow this new backup to stay up. But if worst comes to worst, it will have to go of course.

We are not trying to take credit away from the brilliant work the author has done. He provided a fantastic service for the general public. And although this backup may never be updated (i'll touch on that in a moment), it is still great o have this archive of information avalible to us

If anyone would like to take charge of the running of the site and keep it updated then feel free to post here. No harm is trying to keep this site as fresh as possible. Bandwidth and hosting arent a problem, but im not a web designer and i cant keep the site updated. With help from others i would like to get the search in the top left opertional but the URL of the site may change, to something slightly better soon so that can wait.

Last edited by MagnetON; 5 Jul 2006 at 13:33. Reason: Please don't advertise other forums.
Old 5 Jul 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1648967)   #9
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's brilliant!!! thanks a lot!
Old 5 Jul 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1649170)   #10
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tres bien!
Old 6 Jul 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1649317)   #11
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just brilliant! Thanks a lot!!!!!! Easy circuit edits again! Yay!!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 6 Jul 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1649910)   #12
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh my... ifeel an overpowering urge to... no wiat, i'll just salute you, we aren't worthy of you.
Cheers for doing all that work, and on a 20k upload too
Old 6 Jul 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1649928)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I understand why you've done this but I'm affraid simply saying that you tried and failed to contact the origianl owner just doesn't cut it.

I do find it mild ironic that your reconstituted copy still includes the terms and conditions section about not reconstituting the website.

Have you tried Daniel's home address or just his now redundant email?
Old 6 Jul 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1649945)   #14
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
If its that much of a problem I'll just remove the site It was done because Daniel had expressed that he would like the site to continue but because he was unable to do so he required someone else to do it. If someone is able to take control of the site and give it a proper URL, the one on my server will disappear. However it was done because it was a brilliant service to the motorsport community which the author himself said he didnt want to die. All origional credits are intact and im taking no credit what-so-ever for the site content.

Also note that i pointed out it was avalible on web archive (altho some of the pages were broken, and the site was slow) and nobody went running to them complaining of permissions.

I dont wish to point fingures and be rude, but do you have permission to use the image in your avatar? Did F1freak get permission to use his photo, and edit it? Because thats no different.

Last edited by the.cosmic.pope; 6 Jul 2006 at 22:47.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 06:48 (Ref:1650041)   #15
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I understand why you've done this but I'm affraid simply saying that you tried and failed to contact the origianl owner just doesn't cut it.

I do find it mild ironic that your reconstituted copy still includes the terms and conditions section about not reconstituting the website.

Have you tried Daniel's home address or just his now redundant email?
I believe MagnetON tried to contact Daniel King, but didn't succeed. He couldn't be reached -- or he didn't reply, I don't know -- at home address, phone number or email address.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1650043)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope
I dont wish to point fingures and be rude, but do you have permission to use the image in your avatar?
Yes, because I was the one holding the camera.

Just because other people do something doesn't make it right. The origial site owner may not have a problem with what you have done, but you still need his permission.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1650111)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
in principal I agree with the copyright argument. However, in this specific case, I think we need to look at the facts:
  • I know a fairly subtantial amount of people have tried to contact the site owner by any means possible, including us. As far as I am aware, no-one has received a response. I hope that this is just apathy and that nothing bad has happened to the site owner
  • In this case, it's a replication of a site - no alterations and no attempt to make it seem other than it is. What I would suggest is a brief explanation page before you enter the site. Just saying why the site is there, where it came from, stating that you do not have permission from the site owner although you have tried repeatedly to contact him and asking the site owner to contact you as soon as possible, but that in the meantime, you are providing the site as an interim measure.
  • There's no ill-intent here, no attempt to steal copyright - I'm assuming I'm correct in saying that CP would take it down immediately if asked by the owner to do so.

Yes technically it's a copyright breach, but given the above circumstances, I think that it's a moot issue. There are two possible outcomes of this -
  1. The site owner will re-emerge and ask for the site to be removed - at which point we can all bombard him with offers to take on the site and content!
  2. No complaint is ever made and after a decent period of time, the site can be reworked with due credits and a new URL.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1650201)   #18
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
EvilPumpkin hit the nail on the head here. It is not an attempt to steal copyright, it is an attempt to keep the old resources up like the origional author said he wanted. If the author turns up and wishes me to remove it, i will do my best to see what it would take for someone to take over running of the site. If worst comes to worst it will be removed. I took no credit for the work, and never will.

Quote:
Just because other people do something doesn't make it right.
Nobody said or even suggested that. My point was, why pick on me with the thousands of breeches of copyright happening in avatars all accross this forum? And why didnt you go running to the archive site and ask them for proof of permission on every site they have backed up?

Typical isnt it. You do the community a favour, you get shot down.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1650220)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think, in this case, people's concern is not that the law is unheld so that we can punish someone, but rather to protect those that may get caught out by it.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 12:20 (Ref:1650233)   #20
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I started such a huge storm.

I was just curious whether you contacted him, as I myself have tried to send him various emails, and lately have resorted to a lengthy letter to his home address (of course, like most other attempts, with no reply).

I am an amateur webdesigner, and am very keen to continue with Daniel King's work. I have downloaded the link to the website posted in the other topic (RC.net - Finally Dead? ), and I use that file regularly, most likely it's opened at least once when I'm on the computer.

I guess to an extent that it's a good idea that you've posted the website, and with the issues raised by EvilPumpkin, it's actually a great idea.

I'm not one to get into the copyright issue. After a lengthy read on a site, I have realised I have heavily sinned. Yet now I am changing my ways.
Old 7 Jul 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1650494)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope
My point was, why pick on me with the thousands of breeches of copyright happening in avatars all accross this forum?
I wasn't picking on you, I would have made the same comments to anyone else who did what you did. I accept that copyright breeches happen all the time but there is a world of difference between using one small picture for an avatar and the wholesale copy of hundreds of pages of a website.

Quote:
And why didnt you go running to the archive site and ask them for proof of permission on every site they have backed up?
I dont know specifically which archive site you are refering to but I'm willing to bet that they have a suitably worded disclaimer. Google keep cached copies of webpages, again they make it very clear what you are actually seeing.

Adam has made my point very succinctly. I have no desire to see legal action taken against you, my concern is that you have steamed ahead with this without even considering the issues.

As I said in my original post, I can understand why you have done this, and generally speaking I think it's a good idea given the amount of useful information.

I agree with what EP has said, especially her second point. You really need to change the opening page to explain that this is a copy of the site as it stood in May 2006, the fact that you are unable to contact the original webmaster, and given some details about how the original webmaster (or indeed an other interested party) can contact you should they wish to.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1651196)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
As long as he isn't making profit from it I don't see any problem.

If the original owner cared that much about it, he would have done something by now.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1651333)   #23
Baritone2400
Racer

United States
Washington,DC
Baritone2400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
somebody please keep this site alive!!
Old 9 Jul 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1651385)   #24
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
As long as he isn't making profit from it I don't see any problem.

If the original owner cared that much about it, he would have done something by now.
What if he didn't know.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1651822)   #25
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
I did my best, like everyone else to contact the author, before and after the backup was put there. Unfortunatly, telapathy is not a skill I've developed so im unable to infrom him that way.