Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1971309)   #1
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Greenback has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ferrari Barcode Livery

Has anybody tried scanning the Ferrari barcode livery with a barcode machine? Does it read Marlboro or something?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1971314)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That really doesn't look like a barcode. While the meaning of it is obvious, of course.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:14 (Ref:1971317)   #3
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
It definitely looks like some sort of barcode to me.

Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:23 (Ref:1971323)   #4
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I often wonder why Ferrari are still allowed to have fairly blatant Marlboro livery on their cars (and at some races the actual word 'Marlboro') when tobacco advertising in F1 has supposedly been banned. There's no rule to say that Philip Morris can't fund Ferrari, but I didn't think they were allowed to display the livery.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:29 (Ref:1971325)   #5
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
I often wonder why Ferrari are still allowed to have fairly blatant Marlboro livery on their cars (and at some races the actual word 'Marlboro') when tobacco advertising in F1 has supposedly been banned. There's no rule to say that Philip Morris can't fund Ferrari, but I didn't think they were allowed to display the livery.
I think the hard part with this, is how do you prove what aspects of a livery can you control like that. How can they prove what is intentional? That would be as hard as telling you right now that you aren't allowed to say the word Ferrari.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1971328)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
So what do you suggest? Make them paint the cars in pink?

PS: Greenback, I was under impression that the barcodes are vertical (I might be wrong). That's why I said that it doesn't look like it to me. Those bars are oblique.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1971332)   #7
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41
I think the hard part with this, is how do you prove what aspects of a livery can you control like that. How can they prove what is intentional? That would be as hard as telling you right now that you aren't allowed to say the word Ferrari.
But they actually had full Marlboro branding at one or two GP's last year (I forget which) - banned or not?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1971334)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Mind you. The tobbaco-add ban is for Europe. The world is larger than Europe.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1971335)   #9
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they had malboro all over the car when they did the street parade in Abu Dhabi this year
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:24 (Ref:1971405)   #10
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
According to the WHO smoking kills over 5 million people in the world every year. So the tobacco industry has to find this number of new victims to replace the ones they have killed. They have used F1 as a mechanism to help them with this recruitment. They were not spending many tens of millions on F1 out of altruism.

That Ferrari are circumventing the spirit of the rules is disgusting. It is morally repugnant. What they are doing will lead to a huge number of deaths around the world. The FIA should stop it.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1971410)   #11
Greenback
Veteran

Singapore
Singapore
Guess the tobacco companies will argue that traffic accident kills about 1.2million per year and injured 50 millions.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1971418)   #12
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback
Guess the tobacco companies will argue that traffic accident kills about 1.2million per year and injured 50 millions.
Tobacco kills more people than all wars, AIDS and all road traffic accidents put together. It is also, by far, the main cause of limb amputation and male impotence in the world. Mothers who smoke give birth to babies that are stunted both physically and mentally.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1971421)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hardly a reason to stop advertising is it?

Advertising does not lead to deaths. People's decisions do.

No need for the hysterics...
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1971433)   #14
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Hardly a reason to stop advertising is it?

Advertising does not lead to deaths. People's decisions do.

No need for the hysterics...
The tobacco companies spend money on F1 because it brings them new victims. In other word it creates a glamorous image which makes people smoke who otherwise wouldn't. We know it works for the tobacco companies, otherwise they wouldn't have spent hundreds of millions. So F1 allowing tobacco advertising leads directly to a large number of deaths worldwide.

It is not hysterics. Just simple cold fact.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1971435)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The EU tobacco ban is one reason Ferrari shouldn't run Marlboro, but various loop holes allow them to.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1971439)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Fletche
The tobacco companies spend money on F1 because it brings them new victims. In other word it creates a glamorous image which makes people smoke who otherwise wouldn't. We know it works for the tobacco companies, otherwise they wouldn't have spent hundreds of millions. So F1 allowing tobacco advertising leads directly to a large number of deaths worldwide.

It is not hysterics. Just simple cold fact.
Well who's problem is that? If people are dumb enough to let an advertisement on a car lead them to smoking (or to do anything in fact) then that is their problem.

Most people think for themselves. I've seen advertisements on F1 cars since I was four and am yet to purchase/partake in anything because it was advertised on a car.

For all the rights and wrongs, Ferrari are simply exploiting a loophole. For this they cannot be blamed. After all, that's what F1 is about. It is up to the EU to close this loophole.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1971450)   #17
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That Ferrari are circumventing the spirit of the rules is disgusting. It is morally repugnant. What they are doing will lead to a huge number of deaths around the world. The FIA should stop it.
On this forum alone there are 3,864,423.75 people who feel the same as you do. They hate Ferrari, their fans, their fans pets and neighbors and naturally; their sponsors. They see Marlboro on the Ferrari and stop smoking instantly. So you see, Ferrari actually saves lives.

Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1971465)   #18
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care about the so-called stats of how many it kills, the point is tobacco advertising is banned and Ferrari still get sponsorship from a tobacco company, that is the point. Not at all a shock or suprise to me that Ferrari were the only ones to find a way around it though.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1971482)   #19
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Maybe a bar code reader ban is in order...

...no reader...no bar code read of Ferrari...no bar code read...no Marlboro logo...no Marlboro logo...5 million lives a year saved since Ferrari and Marlboro ARE responsible for all tobacco related deaths in the world since smokers and potential smokers can't control themselves when they see a red and white bar code festooned Ferrari traveling at 300 kph.

As matter of fact I may start smoking again after 20 years just because you mentioned it....

Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1971483)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Check out this thread
Old 23 Jul 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1971486)   #21
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty confident that at high speed under vibration, I could make out the word Marlboro at Melbourne. Whether it was my eyes playing tricks on me or not, I don't know, but I was quite sure of what I saw.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1971510)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i cant say i completely disagree.
The Altria Group which owns Phillp Morris (Marlboro) is often cited as having the largest influence on American politics through lobby groups and donations running in the hundreds of millions. Internationally i imagine they are just as strong.
what they do with that influence...allow advertising of cigs towards children, deny the existence of global warming, promote the war in Iraq, and generally do everything an evil corporation is supposed to do.

that said, this is just sport and expecting a sporting institution to change the world is totally unreasonable. each one of us has more of a moral imperative to change the world than the FIA.
nor can you blame Ferrari for this. all F1 teams now receive money from CVC Capital Partners, who make enormous sums of money for their clients by investing in all sorts of companies, many of whom are naturally going to have aims and objectives contrary to what we think is right.

personally i save my outrage for election day
Old 23 Jul 2007, 22:58 (Ref:1971588)   #23
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tobacco kills more people than all wars, AIDS and all road traffic accidents put together.
Do you have some more information about this? I'd like to know more about the numbers, because it doesn't sound right to me.

I think its kind of cool that they've found a way around it. Barcodes are not an international code like morse code - their interpretation is determined by the software that reads it. If you look closely, the barcode from last year had thicker bars where the tall letters of Marlboro lie. This years is just a stylised version of it. What matters is that you know it means Marlboro.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 23:30 (Ref:1971600)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
I'm pretty confident that at high speed under vibration, I could make out the word Marlboro at Melbourne. Whether it was my eyes playing tricks on me or not, I don't know, but I was quite sure of what I saw.
You mean when the wing flexes a bit.

I have this theory that if we have around 20 races a year there will be,while the GP is on,a lot less people driving their cars and therefore the Earth is less polluted. However,the downside is that more people will smoke themselves to death.You can't have it both ways can you.

Last edited by Marbot; 23 Jul 2007 at 23:33.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 23:34 (Ref:1971602)   #25
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
and am yet to purchase/partake in anything because it was advertised on a car.
Someone told me you were a Durex fanatic. Is that so?